all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Can someone help me get my head around all the programs out there?!

There are not loads of KB programs kicking about but enough for me to forget which is which. I'm not new to KBs but am new to sticking to programs. Can someone knock up a table with the basics on for me? Columns could include:
1. Program (and its usual abbreviation), link to program/book
2. Main program goal (build bigger muscles, denser muscles, loose weight, all of the above?)
3. What book can i find it in? (is it a program within a bigger book of stuff?)
4. Double or Single bell? Uneven weight ok?
5. Gist of the program
6. How long (sessions and weeks)
7. link to a thread of the program, like this one for Giant
5. Prerequisites (if any?)

Since this is about the Giant, can we keep it to Neupert material here? Giant, KBM, MKBM, Strong!

I am up totally up for doing one of these, but I can see the wood for the trees! If I could see them in one table them I can make better choices and plans.

If this works, there should be a huge table sticky'd on the front page of forum including Pavel material and any other programs worth a mention (Pat Flyn, Dan John etc)

1. Program (and its usual abbreviation), link to program/book
2. Main program goal (build bigger muscles, denser muscles, loose weight, all of the above?)
3. What book can i find it in? (is it a program within a bigger book of stuff?)
4. Double or Single bell? Uneven weight ok?
5. Gist of the program
6. How long (sessions and weeks)
7. link to a thread of the program, like this one for Giant
5. Prerequisites
I'm not intending to be disrespectful in any way, but you are already in the Giant thread and the answers to your questions I believe are inside this thread.

*You can Google Geoff Neupert The Giant Program and it should direct you to the link.
*It is one program with multiple segments each lasting 4 weeks. It starts with a 10 rep max bell or bells. They build upon each other. Note that one of them, the 3.0 starts with a 5 RM.
*Uneven bells can be used.
*Each session is 20 to 30 minutes in length, 3x per week.
*Program is minimalist in nature utilizing the clean and press/or push press/or jerk.
*Following the program as written delivers strength, strength endurance, fat loss, muscle gain.

Hope that helps.

@RadFox , this thread might help:

I'm not intending to be disrespectful in any way, but you are already in the Giant thread and the answers to your questions I believe are inside this thread.

*You can Google Geoff Neupert The Giant Program and it should direct you to the link.
*It is one program with multiple segments each lasting 4 weeks. It starts with a 10 rep max bell or bells. They build upon each other. Note that one of them, the 3.0 starts with a 5 RM.
*Uneven bells can be used.
*Each session is 20 to 30 minutes in length, 3x per week.
*Program is minimalist in nature utilizing the clean and press/or push press/or jerk.
*Following the program as written delivers strength, strength endurance, fat loss, muscle gain.

Hope that helps.
John,

You're totally right. I think this is a really good thread tbh. loads in here.

I re-posted the question as a new post which I should have done in the first place. *thumbs up*

I must not be resting enough on my high (3) rep days as thats always the highest number of sets total.
My lowest total set day is the sets of 1s

My last week went like sets of 2s 51 sets of 3s 57 sets of 1s 42

This thread is for the giant. Sets of three are three times one, but in the giant 4,6,5 are closer together so the multiples are not as big, so the reps are closer together.

I finished week one of 3.0 yesterday, using double Clean and Push Press. Today, my glutes and quads are sore!

Forearms and lats too.
The c+pp is a great movement. My question to you is are you doing the "drop" into the rack or are you doing an active negative pulling it down? Just curious.

The c+pp is a great movement. My question to you is are you doing the "drop" into the rack or are you doing an active negative pulling it down? Just curious.
I've actually experimented with both (only 3 sessions in so far). I've settled on the active negative (slowly lowering the weight) as I believe it will eventually help me transition to strict pressing.

Open to suggestions though!

As I mentioned previously in 2015 I did the active negative/pull into rack during the RMFB. I was doing the clean and push press. I got quite a bit stronger than I was at the start. I started the program with 32s and during the second stage switched to 36s. After finishing up the RMFB I went on to Strong with with the 36s doing the clean and strict press. Mileage may vary of course but this demonstrated to me that I was one of those people whose strict press can be improved by using the push press.

Hi everyone.
I am currently doing giant 1.2 having worked through 1.0 & 1.1.

Due to some health issues I have had to take time off training.

Mainly a week here & a week there during the 1.2 programme.
When this happens I simply restart the 1.2 programme from the start again.
Firstly I want to know if people think this tactic is a good idea?

However I may need to take longer off.
Like 2 weeks to maybe a few months if I need an operation.

What I'm wondering secondly is what to do in this scenario?

My gut feeling is re test my 10 rep C&P max & jump into whichever giant programme fits best assuming I don't need to rehab extensively due to operation.

Even those single week breaks seem to have robbed me of some of the momentum I was building by running the giant series back to back.
It probably doesn't help that I keep taking breaks during one of the harder of the giant series.

Maybe the hardest due to the high rep sets.

Anyway any insight/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

I know a few people have taken week breaks due to life getting in the way without any issues restarting the giant series from where they were but at the first of the 4 week cycle.

Hi everyone.
I am currently doing giant 1.2 having worked through 1.0 & 1.1.

Due to some health issues I have had to take time off training.

Mainly a week here & a week there during the 1.2 programme.
When this happens I simply restart the 1.2 programme from the start again.
Firstly I want to know if people think this tactic is a good idea?

However I may need to take longer off.
Like 2 weeks to maybe a few months if I need an operation.

What I'm wondering secondly is what to do in this scenario?

My gut feeling is re test my 10 rep C&P max & jump into whichever giant programme fits best assuming I don't need to rehab extensively due to operation.

Even those single week breaks seem to have robbed me of some of the momentum I was building by running the giant series back to back.
It probably doesn't help that I keep taking breaks during one of the harder of the giant series.

Maybe the hardest due to the high rep sets.

Anyway any insight/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

I know a few people have taken week breaks due to life getting in the way without any issues restarting the giant series from where they were but at the first of the 4 week cycle.
Maybe go for the Giant 2.0?

I'm on Week 2 of my first run of the Giant (I started with template 3.0).

Week 1 Day 1: 22 reps in 28:01 minutes

Week 2 Day 1: 30 reps in 26:44 minutes

+8 reps and 1:16 minutes quicker, and, FELT EASIER!

Obviously noob gains to some extent, but happy so far :)

I've been reading this thread for awhile and am looking forward to starting the Giant in the near future after I finish my current program. I'm just wondering if anyone else is doing something alongside the Giant. I've seen a couple of times where people mentioned running it alongside something else very minimal (maybe some pull-ups and lightweight bodyweight stuff). I've also seen once where Geoff mentioned that some run it alongside something else (seems I remember him mentioning ocr training).

I guess what I'm asking is that I'd like to keep working on bodyweight stuff (push-ups and pull-ups) and doing some low intensity running on off days (ala ocr work). However, I don't want to bastardize it so bad that it becomes ineffective.

End of the day, I probably need to stop my paralysis by analysis and just run it as is for a month first, right?

@mikhou I say just run it as is and after a 4 week segment, test your new c+p max and pull-ups too! Bet you don't lose much if anything on the pull ups or nothing that couldn't be regained in a week or two.

I've been reading this thread for awhile and am looking forward to starting the Giant in the near future after I finish my current program. I'm just wondering if anyone else is doing something alongside the Giant. I've seen a couple of times where people mentioned running it alongside something else very minimal (maybe some pull-ups and lightweight bodyweight stuff). I've also seen once where Geoff mentioned that some run it alongside something else (seems I remember him mentioning ocr training).

I guess what I'm asking is that I'd like to keep working on bodyweight stuff (push-ups and pull-ups) and doing some low intensity running on off days (ala ocr work). However, I don't want to bastardize it so bad that it becomes ineffective.

End of the day, I probably need to stop my paralysis by analysis and just run it as is for a month first, right?
I have trained hard 5~6 days a week for years. Lots and lots of 32kg A&A snatches for most of 2020. I started The Giant 2.0 in November 2020 and rucked on off days. Since upgrading to double 28's on my second Giant 2.0 run and then double 32's for Giant 1.0 and 1.1 (start 1.2 next week) I have only done The Giant and nothing else. My results have been spectacular:

Definite muscle gain and strength has shot up! Why? Because I am doing The Giant as written with nothing else!!

I have progressed from 71 reps on my first 32kg session (an 11 rep set, followed by 15 four rep sets) to 105 and then 104 reps in my final two 30 minute Giant 1.1 sessions (7x15 and 8x13). This was in just over two months. Plenty of rest, plenty of protein, no extra work.

I have personally heard (in person) too many people say "Program X didn't work for me: I did it as written except I added this and that and these." I once heard someone say "I followed this diet protocol as written except for the alcohol part." When I replied that this person had thus not followed the program, I got a deer/headlights look.

At first, I was uneasy training only 3 days (sometimes 4) a week. But, the only way to offer honest feedback on a program is to do it as written!! @Geoff Neupert 's programming is legendary. @John Grahill 's work ethic and output are also legendary. I trusted them 100% from the get/go and cannot be happier.

I am 57 years old, 5'10~11" and 217 lbs with too much bodyfat. Some might say my best days are behind me, but they are talking and I am doing. But, Lord, would I have LOVED to have had this sort of resource 30+ years ago!!

We are always reading, seeing, hearing "trust the process." I can say from personal experience "trust The Giant process" and you will be pleasantly surprised with your results.

Back
Top Bottom