all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

I’m going to start 1.1 next week im going to stick with the 24s. But when do you bump weight up? I was thinking about trying 28s for 1.1, what’s the progression, do 1.0-1.1-1.2 same weight then go heavier and do 3.0? What’s a normal weight increase I’ve got a pair of 24s and a pair of 32s. I can do 5 reps with the 32 but the last 2 aren’t perfect now. I’m assuming that after 1.1-1.2 I’ll be able to get the 32s solid for 5.

I’m going to start 1.1 next week im going to stick with the 24s. But when do you bump weight up? I was thinking about trying 28s for 1.1, what’s the progression, do 1.0-1.1-1.2 same weight then go heavier and do 3.0? What’s a normal weight increase I’ve got a pair of 24s and a pair of 32s. I can do 5 reps with the 32 but the last 2 aren’t perfect now. I’m assuming that after 1.1-1.2 I’ll be able to get the 32s solid for 5.
Just my advice....bump up the weights after you've run the whole 1 series. Do the 1.0 through 1.2 with the same weight.

After doing 1 to 1.2 I would switch out to a strength type program or another bodypart/skill focus and then come back and do KB Strong or something. My plan is doing it 3 to 6 months a year giant or giant type sessions alternative Giant type density and low rep strength programs. I have more left to progress than many here.

Update, just finished my 1st workout with 1.0 I grabbed the 55's, did 1 rep and said, Not happening!
When I finished Dry Fighting Weight, I maxed out at 8 with 55's. That was 15 lb. ago.
Used the 45's.
18 sets of 5 = 90 in 28:45. No interested in squeezing in one last set. Not really breathing heavy.
Tomorrow off in preparation for 6's.

Update, just finished my 1st workout with 1.0 I grabbed the 55's, did 1 rep and said, Not happening!
When I finished Dry Fighting Weight, I maxed out at 8 with 55's. That was 15 lb. ago.
Used the 45's.
18 sets of 5 = 90 in 28:45. No interested in squeezing in one last set. Not really breathing heavy.
You seem to be in-between weights... 45's too light and 55's too heavy for 1.0.

It's smart to be conservative, but considering you have experience with DFW at 55's, wouldn't 3.0 with the 55's be worth considering?

This is more of a question aimed at those with ample experience with the Giant.

I just finished Burn Extreme with 55's, which is pretty similar doing ladders of 1,2,3, sets of 2 and sets of 3. I wanted to 1.0 because I wanted to get some volume in. I just lost 10-11 lbs. so I don't want to push it too hard first time around.

You seem to be in-between weights... 45's too light and 55's too heavy for 1.0.

It's smart to be conservative, but considering you have experience with DFW at 55's, wouldn't 3.0 with the 55's be worth considering?

This is more of a question aimed at those with ample experience with the Giant.
18 sets of 5 reps are a considerable volume, perhaps you are more on the hypertrophy side than on the strenght one..

I'm currently working the 1.0 with two uneven kbs (55 lbs and 75 lbs) and yesterday on the 2nd week I did just 8 Sets with that weight, I believe that even working just with the 75 lbs, will not result on more than 12 sets... comparing is difficult! but @BrianCF you are almost working just above EMOM terms!! quite impressive!

I did not enjoy the 3.0 (maybe enjoy was not the word..I didn't find it funny lol) instead I believe opting for the 1.0 pushing press and keeping a good form did work for me.

Last edited:
18 sets of 5 reps are a considerable volume, perhaps you are more on the hypertrophy side than on the strenght one..

I'm currently working the 1.0 with two uneven kbs (55 lbs and 75 lbs) and yesterday on the 2nd week I did just 8 Sets with that weight, I believe that even working just with the 75 lbs, will not result on more than 12 sets... comparing is difficult! but @BrianCF you are almost working just above EMOM terms!! quite impressive!

I did not enjoy the 3.0 (maybe enjoy was not the word..I didn't find it funny lol) instead I believe opting for the 1.0 pushing press and keeping a good form did work for me.

Push presses and jerks, when coupled with active negatives have their own magical powers in boosting our strength. Full shoulder mobility is a definite pre-requisite, though.

Man... your core must be working like crazy to stabilize under this 20lb offset. It will probably thank you if you "relieve" it with 2x75lb!!

Any recommendations on how to superset or add in pull-ups with this? Off days? Any set/rep scheme? I was doing ROP before this but after a few days doing the Giant I kinda dig it and will probably run 1.0 for the 4 weeks or whatever it is just to see how it shakes out. I really like the pull-ups though so any ideas on how to incorporate are welcome.

Any recommendations on how to superset or add in pull-ups with this? Off days? Any set/rep scheme? I was doing ROP before this but after a few days doing the Giant I kinda dig it and will probably run 1.0 for the 4 weeks or whatever it is just to see how it shakes out. I really like the pull-ups though so any ideas on how to incorporate are welcome.
In a nutshell, I wouldn't add anything. As the program progresses I'll bet you'll be glad to concentrate on the program as written.

I like the offset uneven bell thing. I had said at some point I'd like to do a single bell run through the Giant down the road.....well I like the uneven bell idea....best of both worlds...you'd get the mid section hammering like the single bell work, but heavier resistance overall.....hmmmm....

How important is it to deload? Doing 20 minutes seems too easy.
I feel like I need it after 4 weeks to have some light one, your body will speak for itself really..if you don't need it..well skip it!

Regarding the 20 mins being easy I can't agree, if they are too easy perhaps you are you resting too much or not using the correct weight? Remember that the goal is to "Perform as many sets as possible in the allotted time period" not having a specific numbers may induce to doing less work than what you can currently handle or even more!

The "Autoregulation" part of this program is tricky and its always fighting our Egos under my opinion...

Day 1 of week 4 I did EMOM for 20 with a pair of 24s. So I don’t think I’m taking too much rest. Just still feel like I have a lot in the tank after 20 minutes. I’m not trying to go too hard and burn out just feel like I can keep going. I guess I’ll go for a bike ride after.
Edit: just did day 2 week 4, got 19 sets in 20 was tough.

Last edited:
Used the 45's.

@BrianCF, You are a bit unlucky caught between light and heavy bells. What I strongly recommend is using one 45 and one 55. It is fairly common and even recommended as an option to have uneven bells. I am finishing 1.2 with uneven bells. Switching bells after each set is a kind of micro wave that is welcome and motivating as you get to come back to your stronger arm (or strong and stronger as Pavel says) the next set.

An easy way to tell would be to test your RM with the pair of 45s. Especially, if it is over 12 then you can more clearly see your choices defined. I would let your RM dictate your approach as written in the program.

At 90 in the first week, I doubt that is going to produce the metabolic demand that is key to the program. It should be hard to stimulate adaptation. In contrast, the 8 RM would really be challenging especially in Giant 1.1. Of course, both would work. I am just saying that to get the most out of the program uneven bells would likely be the way to go.

Give the uneven bells a try and tell us how it goes.

I definitely wouldn't superset chins or pulls or anything else. It would really change the program but that's just me.

I was running GTG chinups when i first started Giant. I was at a max of 19 bodyweight chins. I had to drop doing GTG as it was making me quite sore. I now just do the occasional set here and there or during my warm up. Very low reps. I randomly did a set of 15 yesterday and felt quite good so I assume I'm not losing much if anything from my max.

Back
Top Bottom