all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

I "restarted" the Giant yesterday with a different focus. I want to drop some chub. I started doing a lot of heavy low rep work and became too liberal in my eating. Combine that with caring for my elderly father and snacking on "feel good stuff" and I got up over 210 and lost a lot of conditioning/strength endurance.

My last romps through I was eating somewhat carefully but this time I want to be even more conscious of my diet and do the program! Started with 30 minute sessions of the 2.0. When I complete them I'll jump into the 1.0 and try the suggestion of Geoff using 20 minutes in week 1, 25 in week 2, 30 in week 3 and 25 in week 4.

Oh well, time will tell.

I "restarted" the Giant yesterday with a different focus. I want to drop some chub. I started doing a lot of heavy low rep work and became too liberal in my eating. Combine that with caring for my elderly father and snacking on "feel good stuff" and I got up over 210 and lost a lot of conditioning/strength endurance.

My last romps through I was eating somewhat carefully but this time I want to be even more conscious of my diet and do the program! Started with 30 minute sessions of the 2.0. When I complete them I'll jump into the 1.0 and try the suggestion of Geoff using 20 minutes in week 1, 25 in week 2, 30 in week 3 and 25 in week 4.

Oh well, time will tell.
I know you might not want to change too many variables ATM but have you considered if you want to lose fat running it as the single bell version?

Double the reps so alot of movement.

I was discussing the programme the other day & said I felt the giant 1.0-1.1 was where I found myself getting leaner.

Giant 3 is probably the worst for me for fatloss.

I haven't run giant 2 yet.
Theoretically it could be the one that hits the sweet spot in terms of strength, hypertrophy, fatloss etc.

So I'm up in the Colorado mountains for the week (not a true vacation as I brought my laptop so I could work :(). I didn't bring my kettlebells but went down to the "fitness center" and tried to give day 1 of 1.0 a test run using dumbbells. This is no joke. It could be the altitude but the cardio is what will be the toughest for me (although I live in Denver which is already at altitude the extra 3,000-4000 feet still affects me).

I hadn't used dumbbells in a while and forgot that they present their own challenge. Cleaning dumbbells is awkward, perhaps even more so than kettlebells. Awkwardness is a good thing when it comes to getting a training effect. I can see running the Giant with different implements - a barbell, kettlebells, dumbbells, even a sandbag, with the sandbag being the most awkward implement Add in a squat day and this becomes a complete (and fun) program.

What training effect are you looking for with these awkward implements?

If you’re just looking for general strength, hypertrophy, cardio etc then I would’ve thought it would be better to stick to one tool. Especially if your plan is to rotate them workout to workout meaning you can’t properly follow the program as intended. Not sure if that’s what you mean though?

So I'm up in the Colorado mountains for the week (not a true vacation as I brought my laptop so I could work :(). I didn't bring my kettlebells but went down to the "fitness center" and tried to give day 1 of 1.0 a test run using dumbbells. This is no joke. It could be the altitude but the cardio is what will be the toughest for me (although I live in Denver which is already at altitude the extra 3,000-4000 feet still affects me).

I hadn't used dumbbells in a while and forgot that they present their own challenge. Cleaning dumbbells is awkward, perhaps even more so than kettlebells. Awkwardness is a good thing when it comes to getting a training effect. I can see running the Giant with different implements - a barbell, kettlebells, dumbbells, even a sandbag, with the sandbag being the most awkward implement Add in a squat day and this becomes a complete (and fun) program.
Yup. Dumbbell clean and press is a bit different and challenging. I find them "harder" both in execution and on my shall we say older body! Kettlebells don't hurt my shoulders when pressing like barbells and to a lesser extent dumbbells. They (dumbbells) are a solid substitute for kettlebells. I ran a "dumbbell strong" program once before instead of " Kettlebell Strong" so I certainly can see using dumbbell(s) for the Giant!

I know you might not want to change too many variables ATM but have you considered if you want to lose fat running it as the single bell version?

Double the reps so alot of movement.

I was discussing the programme the other day & said I felt the giant 1.0-1.1 was where I found myself getting leaner.

Giant 3 is probably the worst for me for fatloss.

I haven't run giant 2 yet.
Theoretically it could be the one that hits the sweet spot in terms of strength, hypertrophy, fatloss etc.
You know, you may have a point but I am just going back to what worked well once before!

What training effect are you looking for with these awkward implements?

If you’re just looking for general strength, hypertrophy, cardio etc then I would’ve thought it would be better to stick to one tool. Especially if your plan is to rotate them workout to workout meaning you can’t properly follow the program as intended. Not sure if that’s what you mean though?
My goal is cardio and fat loss. Some years ago the venerable Dan John made a very astute observation. He said that if you want to lose fat, do something you're not good at. In his case, Dan had started inline skating with his daughter and noticed some rapid fat loss. Dan had never skated before, so he was "bad" at it. If you've ever seen someone new to skating you can tell they are working very hard - muscles are firing harder than they need to in an effort to keep the person from falling while moving forward. This means more calories burned compared to the experienced skater.

In terms of building general strength, programs that focus on a few basic lifts and programs that have more variety both work.

Welp took a stab at it and I was smoked in 10 minutes. Couldn't get 5 clean reps with a pair of 20 kgs. I thought I'd be ready bc I was doing TGUs with 40 kg bell but I think I need to take a step back and work on my pressing strength before tackling this program. I came across the "prep strong" program from one of Geoff's articles so I'll run that for the next 4 weeks then take another crack at Giant 1.0. Tensing your body the way Geoff instructs in the Strong! videos makes an enormous difference. I feel like that would make pressing 16 kgs tough.

I do enjoy the 2.0. I feel like it "preps" me for rep ranges above 5 without trashing me.
Have you tried running 2.0 after the 1 series? I was amazed at how much more volume I got doing the ladders. But that could be from strength gains as well. I don’t have my spreadsheet in front of me, but I believe I was averaging 100 reps in 1.0, 110 in 1.1, 120 in 1.2, and 130 in 2.0. It would be interesting to see if you ran 2.0 first and again after the 1 series, and compare progress.

I love that you always bring that dread up in every forum you are active in! ? Have not done the Wolf yet, but perhaps I should!?
Oh yeah, you haven't lived until you're in the fetal position with your thumb in your mouth after 75 front squats in 13:30 with your legs completely shaking. And don't believe running it as a chain makes it any better! Might make it worse because you're not isolating fatigue during the set.

Took a couple of days off, was in NYC on vacation. The program is great for cardio. Did 25k + steps walking around Manhattan on Monday plus a couple of 30 minutes 3.4 mile runs on the treadmill. Had plenty of energy. Then again, the porterhouse for 2 from Keen's might have had something to do with it!

I've become more and more convinced that the key to losing weight is to just follow the Ferriss slo-carb principles. 6 days a week and BLUNT your insulin. It has maybe 5-10 percent to do with your workout.

1. Avoid fruit and sugar
2. Complex carbs. I prefer Lentils and Pinto Beans marinated in olive oil. apple cider vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Lentils don't give you gas. Put them in omelets and salads for your carbs.
3. No booze. It's summer I get it. Have 3 beers on your cheat day, but 6 days don't
4. 1 cheat meal/day. Day meaning 2 meals, eat what you want within reason.
5. Walk every day. 3 miles minimum
6. Eat vegetables with every meal.
7. Psyllium husk daily 1-2 tbs. Daily. I mix with ACV, lemon juice and water. Break fast in morning with it.

I like to fast, 24-40 hours, when I'm losing fat, but this isn't the program to do that.

I listen to Pat Flynn's weekly podcast, he's a good, informative dude, has a fantastic last name, but I don't care if you do 300 swings or 500 swings. If your diet stinks, you're not losing fat. Dan keeps everybody up to date with his fat loss and his easy strength Olympic program, but it has minimal to do with the program.

He's eliminated booze for the most part and eats vegetables with every meal.. That's the answer.

Week 3 Heavy day of 1.2. 12 sets of 9 in 28 minutes. 11 in 25. Took 27 minutes to do 11 last week. 45's. I LOVE this program.

My goal is cardio and fat loss. Some years ago the venerable Dan John made a very astute observation. He said that if you want to lose fat, do something you're not good at. In his case, Dan had started inline skating with his daughter and noticed some rapid fat loss. Dan had never skated before, so he was "bad" at it. If you've ever seen someone new to skating you can tell they are working very hard - muscles are firing harder than they need to in an effort to keep the person from falling while moving forward. This means more calories burned compared to the experienced skater.

In terms of building general strength, programs that focus on a few basic lifts and programs that have more variety both work.
I love Dan’s work. I recently finished Intervention and Attempts. And just yesterday I ordered Can You Go, Now What and Before We Go… I really enjoy his weekly podcast with Pat Flynn as well. There is something to be said for the simplicity with which he breaks things down. Push, Pull, Hinge, Squat, and Loaded Carries.

Have you tried running 2.0 after the 1 series? I was amazed at how much more volume I got doing the ladders. But that could be from strength gains as well. I don’t have my spreadsheet in front of me, but I believe I was averaging 100 reps in 1.0, 110 in 1.1, 120 in 1.2, and 130 in 2.0. It would be interesting to see if you ran 2.0 first and again after the 1 series, and compare progress.
Yes I have, my second time through! I agree with you. The ladders make it easier to get some volume.

I love Dan’s work. I recently finished Intervention and Attempts. And just yesterday I ordered Can You Go, Now What and Before We Go… I really enjoy his weekly podcast with Pat Flynn as well. There is something to be said for the simplicity with which he breaks things down. Push, Pull, Hinge, Squat, and Loaded Carries.
Dan's biggest issue is that he talks so much that he confuses people. He is getting more and more cantankerous answering the same stupid questions. And yes there are stupid questions.

For Easy Strength. Pick 5 lifts, do them 5 days a week for 8 weeks. Get 10 reps. I don't care how you get to 10, do 10 x 1. 2 x 5, 3 x 3 + 1,1 etc.
But if you've seen his articles on Easy Strength, it becomes a convoluted mess. I understand what he's trying to say, but for some people there are too many options.
Same with 500 swings. Just get to 500. Doesn't matter if it's ladders 10, 25, 50 or 15, 35. Make sure the reps are highest quality.

Most people will figure things out if they just take action and do the work. For example, it doesn't matter if you're are using 1 kettlebell for the Giant and you put the bell down after the left side to rest before picking up the bell for the right side. Or do both sides before resting. Start the clock and start cleaning and pressing. The auto regulation will figure it out for you and do one more set each time.

The most brilliant part of Pavel's ROP are the variety days. Basically, he's saying. You're not going to do the program as exactly written, so here are 2 variety days to get the other garbage out of your system. Want to run a marathon? Do it on variety day. You'll figure out after a couple of weeks of doing too much that you need to dial it back a bit after heavy day eats you up.

@BrianCF that's really great! I agree. I think it's not just Dan who gets frustrated......I think too many just don't trust the process as they say.

I think the internet has made it that much worse...for every program that espouses one style or method there's someone else writing about how it's not "complete enough" or "effective enough" which causes confusion.

@BrianCF that's really great! I agree. I think it's not just Dan who gets frustrated......I think too many just don't trust the process as they say.

I think the internet has made it that much worse...for every program that espouses one style or method there's someone else writing about how it's not "complete enough" or "effective enough" which causes confusion.
You have to watch the podcast sometime. Dan starts off happy as a clam, a new grandfather, his trivia, competition success, etc. literally beaming. Then the questions start coming from the chat room and it sucks all the energy out of him. Sometimes, I believe Pavel has the right idea. "do this!" Look at the Return of the Kettlebell. There are STILL people who say don't do it unless you've succeeded in the Rite of Passage. He's rarely seen, or heard from like the Wizard of OZ. Dan is ubiquitous, he's like the fitness Fauci.

I 100% agree @John Grahill the internet has made it like necktie shopping. All the colors start blinding you that you can't make a choice. 5/3/1 has the same problem. Wendler put out SO many templates that everyone was more worried about the assistance work than the main lifts! He completely paralyzed people. Some of the questions on his T-Nation sub forum. YIKES.

What needs to be tapped into is RECOVERY AND WHAT TO DO ON OFFDAYS. It's not the stimulus that makes you strong it's your body recovering and adjusting to the stimulus so you're stronger the next time. See ADD AT LEAST A SET EVERY WEEK!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom