all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

The two-dumbbell deadlift is, IMO, a better "alternative DL" than using a hex bar. Since I have lots of Oly weights, I keep a pair of Oly dumbbells handles around. Both the 2- and 1-dumbbell deadlifts are contested in the USAWA.

-S-
Steve, how true. The DB DL is a great movement!

I have several Olympic DB handles but one thing to remember with them is quality collars are needed! I have a pair Rogue DB 15 dumbbell handles that come with an OSO collar that I like. Stays secure in overhead work but I find that the ironmind "big boy" handles with the double screw down "bulldog" collars are awesome for security with overhead work. For deadlifts it not as much of a concern.

I have several Olympic DB handles but one thing to remember with them is quality collars are needed!
Yes, I agree completely. Collars for dumbbells require more thought than for barbell use. NB: I recommend skinny, competition PL plates.

I have a pair Rogue DB 15 dumbbell handles that come with an OSO collar that I like.

I have what I think are those same collars, and I find they're better than most of the alternatives at handling slightly "off" sizes of bar. E.g., the Iron Mind Apollon's Axle loading area is actually a bit smaller in diameter than the usual barbell standard - those collars work on it, but nothing else I have really does.

I find that the ironmind "big boy" handles with the double screw down "bulldog" collars are awesome for security with overhead work.

Links and/or pictures, please.

For deadlifts it not as much of a concern.

One more reason why the dumbbell DL is such a good lift.

-S-

Currently half way through 1.2. Wanted to also throw in some ring dips (currently can get 3 SHAKY ones). Would it be best to just GTG this to not interfere w the current program or is there some sort of a minimal progression I could follow to get a little more solid with them? Thanks.

Currently half way through 1.2. Wanted to also throw in some ring dips (currently can get 3 SHAKY ones). Would it be best to just GTG this to not interfere w the current program or is there some sort of a minimal progression I could follow to get a little more solid with them? Thanks.
The 1.2 is a tough protocol. I have done it once. My personal recommendation as a person who's done it....wait 2 more weeks until the 1.2 is finished. I wouldn't add to the volume on the shoulders at this point.

Dan's biggest issue is that he talks so much that he confuses people. He is getting more and more cantankerous answering the same stupid questions. And yes there are stupid questions.

For Easy Strength. Pick 5 lifts, do them 5 days a week for 8 weeks. Get 10 reps. I don't care how you get to 10, do 10 x 1. 2 x 5, 3 x 3 + 1,1 etc.
But if you've seen his articles on Easy Strength, it becomes a convoluted mess. I understand what he's trying to say, but for some people there are too many options.
Same with 500 swings. Just get to 500. Doesn't matter if it's ladders 10, 25, 50 or 15, 35. Make sure the reps are highest quality.

Most people will figure things out if they just take action and do the work. For example, it doesn't matter if you're are using 1 kettlebell for the Giant and you put the bell down after the left side to rest before picking up the bell for the right side. Or do both sides before resting. Start the clock and start cleaning and pressing. The auto regulation will figure it out for you and do one more set each time.

The most brilliant part of Pavel's ROP are the variety days. Basically, he's saying. You're not going to do the program as exactly written, so here are 2 variety days to get the other garbage out of your system. Want to run a marathon? Do it on variety day. You'll figure out after a couple of weeks of doing too much that you need to dial it back a bit after heavy day eats you up.
I agree with what your saying. Dan does seem to get extremely frustrated by some of the questions but I think that’s mainly because he gets sick of answering the same questions over and over again. He seems to have the expectation that people have bothered to read his work, but he makes himself so available that people don’t bother because they can just ask him… then he answers and it leads to more questions…

I also understand his frustration when people continuously ask him questions about other people’s programs. he gets stuck answering questions about Pavels programs because Pavel does not speak much… which is his perogative. He seems like a man of few words. he has only ever done Rogans and Tim Ferris’s podcasts that I am aware of.

Thanks @BrianCF Yep, have some of these but good to see the Giant is published separately.
@Geoff Neupert from what I gather on the thread, looks as though one could also do this with push press or C&J (like KB Strong). Any mods to make if doing so?
Thanks

Just found Geoff had basically provided the answer to the above question in this thread: Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

If you can Jerk or Push Press, you can use either of those lifts, or all 3 for these programs.

For maximum benefit, start with a weight you can Jerk 10-12x, but not Push Press 10-12x. Roll through 1-3 of the programs, then retest your Jerk. Then test your Push Press. It should have moved up to the 10-12x range.

Then repeat the cycle with your Push Presses, using a slow/active negative to train the Press.

Then you *should* be ready to run it with your Press.

Hoping to get some advice here.

I did week one of Giant 1.0, with double 20kgs. Each day, I managed 60 total reps for the session. I have a pair of 24kgs, and am wondering if I should use the 24s with 3.0, to try and get that rep max up to use the 24s for 1.0, or if I should just use the 20s for the entire 1.0 series. Then, move up to the 24s.

Hoping to get some advice here.

I did week one of Giant 1.0, with double 20kgs. Each day, I managed 60 total reps for the session. I have a pair of 24kgs, and am wondering if I should use the 24s with 3.0, to try and get that rep max up to use the 24s for 1.0, or if I should just use the 20s for the entire 1.0 series. Then, move up to the 24s.
My advice as someone who's done the program, if the 20s are a ten rep max for you.....use and stick with them throughout the whole process. Then check the 24s for a rep max and go from there.

I KNOW that I've read this before, but I can't find it. I spent 20 minutes reading back through the first 20 pages of this thread, but I have got to get back to work. :)

I just bought Kettlebell Express with the Giant in it, and I just want to be clear. If I was doing sets of 3, would it be 3 cleans and then 3 presses. Or is it 1 clean and press, a second clean and press, and then a 3rd clean and press? I think it's the latter.

Again, I know that I've read it somewhere before and I've searched the SF forums and this threat and reread KB Express, but it's not clear to me. Thanks.

I KNOW that I've read this before, but I can't find it. I spent 20 minutes reading back through the first 20 pages of this thread, but I have got to get back to work. :)

I just bought Kettlebell Express with the Giant in it, and I just want to be clear. If I was doing sets of 3, would it be 3 cleans and then 3 presses. Or is it 1 clean and press, a second clean and press, and then a 3rd clean and press? I think it's the latter.

Again, I know that I've read it somewhere before and I've searched the SF forums and this threat and reread KB Express, but it's not clear to me. Thanks.
It's a clean before each press....one clean then one press, then another clean and another press, etc.

Back
Top Bottom