all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Worked on the Jersey shore board walk each summer as a student 20 years ago. Used to come back home a stone heavier, french toast for breakfast, hoagies for lunch and beer and pizza the rest of the time. Great place to live John and great buzz about at this time of the year

Worked on the Jersey shore board walk each summer as a student 20 years ago. Used to come back home a stone heavier, french toast for breakfast, hoagies for lunch and beer and pizza the rest of the time. Great place to live John and great buzz about at this time of the year
Ha ha, yup, I forgot about "hoagies" although I'm originally from North Jersey where we referred to them as "subs"....."hoagies" is a South Jersey/Philadelphia term for them that a NY Mets fan wouldn't ever use! That term's an indicator of a Philadelphia Phillies fan! ?

I live less than 10 minutes from Seaside Hts. Summers are insane around here!

Ha ha, yup, I forgot about "hoagies" although I'm originally from North Jersey where we referred to them as "subs"....."hoagies" is a South Jersey/Philadelphia term for them that a NY Mets fan wouldn't ever use! That term's an indicator of a Philadelphia Phillies fan! ?

I live less than 10 minutes from Seaside Hts. Summers are insane around here!
Po' Boys down here, 90 miles East of New Orleans. Good New Orleans French Bread stuffed with fried shrimp is just about the pinnacle!!

Yup, I live at the Jersey shore where junk food is king during the summer months on the boardwalk! Ice cream, pizza, funnel cakes, salt water taffy, fudge, caramel corn, chocolate covered pretzels, etc. Gotta splurge once in a while...just not everyday!
John that is so much temptation. I live in Kansas City, and barbecue is way too expensive to become a problem. I would be screwed in Jersey.

Some thoughts for the group-

I've been through Giant 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 with 2x24KG . Now, in finishing up Giant 3.0 with 2x28 , I'm noticing total poundage per session is way down, even with higher weight bells. Is this a concern?

Also, 2x28 works my legs a LOT more., especially the hip flexors. I can definitely something after each session, which was not the case with 2x24. Anyone else have this?

Some thoughts for the group-

I've been through Giant 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 with 2x24KG . Now, in finishing up Giant 3.0 with 2x28 , I'm noticing total poundage per session is way down, even with higher weight bells. Is this a concern?

Also, 2x28 works my legs a LOT more., especially the hip flexors. I can definitely something after each session, which was not the case with 2x24. Anyone else have this?
Volume will always be lower on 3.0. It's to be expected.

You've gone up in weight, so intensity is up, volume is down. Just keep working. Eventually the volume will pile on when you move to 1 series. You'll end up doing similar reps with more weight = now total tonnage in long run.

I know this may be a dumb question, but how hungry do you guys find yourselves from running this program? I love it and I’m running the 1.1 version now, I find myself hungrier while running it. And I don’t necessarily need to lose weight but I’d love to cut some fat. That’s my predicament, I’m grumpy when I’m in a caloric deficit but I want to cut my body fat percentage down. I find it difficult to function if I’m not eating enough while getting up 100 clean and presses before work at 4am.

I know this may be a dumb question, but how hungry do you guys find yourselves from running this program? I love it and I’m running the 1.1 version now, I find myself hungrier while running it. And I don’t necessarily need to lose weight but I’d love to cut some fat. That’s my predicament, I’m grumpy when I’m in a caloric deficit but I want to cut my body fat percentage down. I find it difficult to function if I’m not eating enough while getting up 100 clean and presses before work at 4am.
I don't think it's a dumb question at all! I found that yes I was hungry and it was tough" dieting " during the programs. Having said that, although I do agree that the Giant contributed greatly to the "hunger" I experienced because it can be metabolically stimulating, it also with a little "food discipline" can provide decent fat loss too.

I’m on my second run of the giant. The first time around I was derailed by scheduling issues, and a vacation.

background-Due to my work schedule (7pm-7am) every other week, I work 4days in a row, which leaves me with 4-5 days of not training. In turn I then have 2-4 days off from work where I can do 1-2 sessions.

Question-I want to try and complete 3 workout per week, but in order to do this I will need to have some weeks with 2 sessions back to back, then a few days off (3-4). Has anyone had this issue? Is this a good plan, or should I try something else and come back to this program at another time?

I found 1.0 & 1.1 led to the greatest hunger but also the most fatloss....? ?‍♀️

I’m on my second run of the giant. The first time around I was derailed by scheduling issues, and a vacation.

background-Due to my work schedule (7pm-7am) every other week, I work 4days in a row, which leaves me with 4-5 days of not training. In turn I then have 2-4 days off from work where I can do 1-2 sessions.

Question-I want to try and complete 3 workout per week, but in order to do this I will need to have some weeks with 2 sessions back to back, then a few days off (3-4). Has anyone had this issue? Is this a good plan, or should I try something else and come back to this program at another time?
12 hour shift worker here.

I have been doing The Giant since January.

I will train after a 12 hour shift or before a 12 hour night shift (i live a 10-15minute drive from my work & have a home gym)

If that isn't an option for you which it sounds like it isn't I wouldn't worry about training multiple days in a row.
Sure it probably isn't ideal but I have done back to back training days, only training 2 days one week & 4 the next as I was just tired & even training 4 days back to back.

I mostly try to stick to 3 times a week with at least one day in between though.

Due to autoregulation just remember there's no shame in "coasting" if you just need to get the workout in.

I have done all of the above in my Giant journey & it delivered.

A program that fits shift work can be a rare beast but this has all the hallmarks of one that does:

Autoregulation,
Only three days a week,
Time limit/condensed,
Simple
It doesn't fall apart when life gets in the way!

I was starving. I usually skip breakfast, but not with this program! Weight stayed the same in spite of my perceived increase in calories!

I do exactly that for the same reason, 3 workouts in 4 days. No issues at all.

I'm in week 10 or 11, and I've taken my starting 1RM to a 10rm....!!!

I do exactly that for the same reason, 3 workouts in 4 days. No issues at all.

I'm in week 10 or 11, and I've taken my starting 1RM to a 10rm....!!!
Very interesting to read your progress on this program. Especially when you’re doing back to back days for 2 of your workouts!

Was the 1RM you used in week 1 your PR 1RM or are you building back up to a past strength levels?

Back
Top Bottom