all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Very interesting to read your progress on this program. Especially when you’re doing back to back days for 2 of your workouts!

Was the 1RM you used in week 1 your PR 1RM or are you building back up to a past strength levels?
You can read my training history and progress here: https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/training-log.19150/

In summary:

I started with ROP in January this year using a 20kg dumbbell I had lying around at home (because I couldn't press a single 24 once).

Then ran ROP with the 24.

Then started the Giant after my daughter was born due to time constraints.....

Only pair I have are 24s, and I could only get ONE rep with horrible form when I started. I probably cheated to complete the rep.

Progress on the Giant was like this:

1. Cycle 1 - 3.0 with push press
Went from 4 to 8 reps with push press, 1 to 4 with strict press.

2. Cycle 2 - 3.0 with strict press
Went from 4 to 8 reps with strict press

3. Cycle 3 - 1.0 with strict press
Haven't quite finished the cycle, but I'm hitting 5 sets of 6, 7 sets of 5..... etc, nice and clean! With a weight I could barely do once 10 weeks ago! I'm doing more reps in less time than when I started 1.0. Expecting 10-12 when I test next week (might be ambitious but we'll see)

I really enjoy double kettlebell work, especially combining cleans and overhead work as they are quite effective for hitting on many fitness benefits. I have no real goals like so many here...... I am a "has been" just trying not to explode in middle aged girth!

I agree with Geoff about double kettlebell work being a heavier stimulus systemically and great returns on investment but I wouldn't necessarily give up on single bell work.

Any time I have done a single bell protocol I have had great returns. I remember about 5 years ago doing a bout of the ROP with a 40 and it got my attention! I came out of it pretty thick! Here's what I found, using double bells and doing say a set of 3 reps is about 20 seconds. You basically double that time with a single bell, using 20+seconds left then doing the same on the right side. I got more time under tension per set. In addition I was able to use a "heavier" bell. Around that time I had completed "Strong!" Phases 1 and 2 with the 36s. It meant that "per arm" I could use heavier resistance. I don't know if I'm saying that correctly.

Another "thing" I noticed with single bell c+p's in particular is the mid section gets hammered trying to keep the torso straight.

Truth be told you most likely gain more overall muscle and strength with double kettlebells but that doesn't mean you won't gain any muscle and strength with single bell use.

On my radar is to run through the Giant Series with a single kettlebell at some point. This program has been a major favorite of mine for like 5 months and I have made excellent gains using double bells. I would like to test the "Giant" approach with a single bell.
I will say the greatest strength gains I ever made were with double bell work. A few years ago I did Dry Fighting Weight with a pair of 28 kgs. I came out of it able to press the 40kg (single KB) for the first time with both arms. I got a RM best of 2 each arm.

... And then I was an idiot and didn't continue working my overhead press. I just did heavy snatches (A+A), which have their benefits, but still do not provide you with the same kind of pressing gains you get from actually pressing.

First, don’t infer from my responding that I consider myself among “smarter people”?.....

You mention 12-weeks..., my advice there is to still re-evaluate the rep and/or weight youre using every 4 weeks (as written into the program). As you get fitter and stronger, you’re likely to turn it into a series of metcons otherwise (not that, 3x per week, thats “bad”, necessarily).

as for PP’s or jerks, i agree that’d be effective, but whether it’s “optimal” probably depends how your pressing and grip strength compare to your cleaning power and overall fitness; and what your goals are. I was concerned early that i would not get a great conditioning effect because my pressing was always the limiter. Now my pressing strength has improved and these are arguably as much (if not more) conditioning sessions as they are press grinds. If I switched over to PP’s, with the added weight, i think my limiter might become my grip, so the conditioning effect would maybe even decrease.....for me.

That is interesting, as on my day of 22 sets yesterday, it was pretty metconny.... My guess is it depends on what is the “limiter”. For me, on the 22 set day, it was my “system” being able to crank out that many ballistics. It wasn’t the presses.

Those points made, I think the program is so well put together that ANY approach, so long as you stay within the general parameters, works. It is nearly impossible to “do it wrong.” As @John Grahill said......, don’t overthink it.

Guilty as charged?....
It's interesting with the ballistics were the limiter. For myself, the cleans are good, but the last few sets of presses start approaching grinds. I ran 1.1 as a C&J program for a cycle and now am taking the same 28s I used for presses. So my sets aren't getting up there but the cleans are the least challenging for me with the presses than they were with the jerks. Interesting how the body works.

I got 8 sets of 8 reps today (C&J), having only completed sets of 6 max during 1.0.

Got it done in about 18 minutes since I'm capping my sessions at 20 minutes in an attempt to use the program as more GPP than stand-alone weight training. Having said that, if I had another hour I might have been able to convince myself to get another two sets, or maybe not!

Much respect to those who've run 1.1 in the past and empathy to those who run it in the future. Holy smokes that's a long time under tension. I was sucking wind.

It is actually insane how many people are noticing huge hypertrophy gains on this program. I really want to the it a go but I don't have doubles yet! Can't wait until I do and I'm strong enough!
Just a few weeks of this and I can actually see fat coming off my torso, but I have noticed my chest and arms gain a lot of size. T-shirt fibers are fighting for dear life across my shoulders and sleeves.

Seeing all these gains is awesome! I know 4 months ago I could hardly strict press double 24s 7 times. And I’d normally only do a total of 30 presses in any given workout. I began doing the total tension complex with 24s and increased my reps to 8. Then took 2 weeks off and jumped into the giant 1.0. I was able to get 102 reps in that program as my best total reps. Then I took two weeks of fun training and started the giant 1.1 I’m currently in the middle of it with 24s and I can get 112 presses in! The 24s are staring to feel like toys. I know I can move up to 28s soon but I’ve made the mistake before of moving up before I’m ready and I end up in pain. So I’m really just trying to work the 24s until I’m almost forced to move up because they feel so light. I think after I finish this cycle of the giant 1.1 I’ll try the heavier version of the giant with 28s

Just a few weeks of this and I can actually see fat coming off my torso, but I have noticed my chest and arms gain a lot of size. T-shirt fibers are fighting for dear life across my shoulders and sleeves.
Last time I ran through 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 with a pair of 20s, I gained an inch (maybe two) on my chest measurement. (That's if memory serves.) This program delivers.

Last time I ran through 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 with a pair of 20s, I gained an inch (maybe two) on my chest measurement. (That's if memory serves.) This program delivers.
Crazy thing is I’ve never had a “full body pump” like right after I complete 112 reps with the 24s. I can see muscles in areas I’ve never had muscles. My core just feels powerful. I actually feel better running the 1.1 than I did running 1.0. It might be because I’m not squatting, I’ve always had back issues when squatting due to previous construction injuries but with the clean and press I feel no back pain.

My new kettlebells arrived Tuesday! Ended up going with a set of 20s, 28s, and 32s. So now I have 16-32 in 4kg increments! Was going to get 32s and 40s, and have 16-40 in 8kg increments, but the 40s were out of stock still and I'm tired of waiting lol. I'm kind of glad though, after messing around with the 28s and 32s, I don't think the 40s would've been used for quite some time. Anyways, I've been out of practice since going on vacation, and was able to get 6 reps with the 28s and 2 reps with the 32s. So I did day 1 of 3.0 with the 28s and was able to get 60 reps. It's a huge difference in volume between 2.0 w/ 24kgs and 3.0 w/ 28kgs:

DayDateRepsSetsTotal RepsPace (Set/Min)Daily Volume (kg)
2.0 - 325-Jun-214,6,8814403:45.06912
3.0 - 127-Jul-212306001:00.03360

Sorry the table doesn't line up correctly. But you get the idea.

Last edited:
I am not going to have a regular schedule/KB availability due to travel for a few months, and I don't want to lose my 1.0 2x29Kg gains. I've finished my first week tomorrow. For maintenance, do people think it's better to:

1) Do three days in a row, with no rest days? That leaves four days off before the next session.
2) Do two days a week, with one day rest in-between? That also leaves four days off before the next session.
3) And, for maintenance, do pushups, including ones on raised braces, possibly even handstand pushups, fit the bill for keeping the press groove strong?

Thanks for any advice!

Question, what does everyone do as a warm-up before "the giant" or "strong"? Lighter double clean and presses I would imagine primarily, but what if you didn't have access to lighter bells? I don't think @Geoff Neupert mentions warm-ups in any of his programs that I have (kettlebell muscle, more kettlebell muscle, strong, burn extreme).
Thanks for any responses!
This is a really good question. I usually get started with some steel club work ( can't remember the name of the exact motion), maybe 10-15 reps per side. This helps with joint lubrication in the shoulders, elbows and wrists.
After that, just some hip, knee and ankle rotations to get those joints warm.
Final step is just some light goblet squats, with the emphasis being on sitting at the bottom and rocking side to side. Last year I was skipping this and ended up with a string of groin pulls followed by an hand slapped on my forehead prompted by the realization that I had severely neglected this aspect of the warmup.
Once those are wrapped up, I just start the timer and get to the main course.

Back in my 20s I like so many others chased that Chevy truck bench. I did fairly well but injured myself (rotator cuff and the like) often. The result was pressing overhead with a barbell hurt. Once I started kettlebells and pressing them I refound and strengthened my groove and can press overhead again.

My point's this, had I known about kettlebells and the double clean and presses, squats, push presses, etc. that can be done with them I could have had more productive training in my "strong" years and been better conditioned and more functionally strong....I hate that term "functional strength" but oh well. I could have trained like I prefer, by myself without the need of a spotter who inevitably yells "come on" pushing you to an extreme wherein the injuries occur.....oh well better late than never.
it's interesting because I had a similar issue with the bench causing issues and then overhead press hurt with the barbell. As kettlebells were brand new, and by that token awkward, I was forced to learn the techniques to wield them. I'm now older and wiser (somewhat), and if I had just taken time to learn about barbell pressing before just jumping in without anything more than the idea of "the weight goes this way," I might be far ahead of where I am now. I am fortunate I didn't actually cause myself any longterm injuries.

I currently do this: Sun- Heavy Squat, Light Bench, Row. Thur - Light Squats, Heavy Bench, Row. Tues and Sat - 10 min of kettlebell swings + KB something else.

I would like to do something more regimented with the KB. My main goals are lean up a bit more and squat 180kg by Xmas. I've currently put 30kg back on my squat and dropped about 15kg.

Was thinking of keeping the Squatting the same. But dropping the other Barbell exercises to run Giant 3.0 on Tues, Thurs, Sat. And switching to one of the other Giant programs once I have ran through it once or twice with my 24s.

I am worried about dropping bench and rows. Anyone have any experience or thoughts with something similar?

I currently do this: Sun- Heavy Squat, Light Bench, Row. Thur - Light Squats, Heavy Bench, Row. Tues and Sat - 10 min of kettlebell swings + KB something else.

I would like to do something more regimented with the KB. My main goals are lean up a bit more and squat 180kg by Xmas. I've currently put 30kg back on my squat and dropped about 15kg.

Was thinking of keeping the Squatting the same. But dropping the other Barbell exercises to run Giant 3.0 on Tues, Thurs, Sat. And switching to one of the other Giant programs once I have ran through it once or twice with my 24s.

I am worried about dropping bench and rows. Anyone have any experience or thoughts with something similar?
What sort of volume are you thinking with the squats?

I would really have a hard think of running anything else alongside the giant due to recovery.

If you HAD to run the Giant alongside a standard squat program I would consider doing the single bell version.
More reps = more work which can be good for fat loss & also save your legs for squatting.

However I have no experience doing this. My gut says if i ran a legit squat program alongside running the Giant it would crush me.

What sort of volume are you thinking with the squats?
I was thinking of replacing ALL my upper body work with Giant.

Currently, I run clusters 2 weeks of Strength 23523523, 2 weeks of Power 123123, and 2 weeks of Hypertrophy 2351023510 on Sundays. And then 5 sets of 2 on Thursday working up to about 85-90% for 2 on the last set... so only 1 taxing set... mostly for practice and strengthening ligaments.

So not Smolnov or anything like that. Currently, I can do about 160 for a clean rep... perhaps 2... so 170 by October and 180 by Xmas would not be that far off.

Currently, I run clusters 2 weeks of Strength 23523523, 2 weeks of Power 123123, and 2 weeks of Hypertrophy 2351023510 on Sundays. And then 5 sets of 2 on Thursday working up to about 85-90% for 2 on the last set... so only 1 taxing set... mostly for practice and strengthening ligaments.

So not Smolnov or anything like that. Currently, I can do about 160 for a clean rep... perhaps 2... so 170 by October and 180 by Xmas would not be that far off.
Post in thread 'Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??' Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

This was Geoff's response from another thread.

there's also the Upper Body Blast plan from kettlebell express

I'm on the 3rd week of the giant 1.
I was thinking about what's the best way to press during the concentric part, go power press, normal press, slow press, mix it up?

Back
Top Bottom