all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Ready to be back at it after a month off (2 weeks of vacation and then two week layoff ) after slicing open the palm of my hand on a cat food can lid while pushing down the trash in the trash bin. Going to have a easy week next week and then test with the 28 with the goal of starting 3.0 with it.

Just curious how people have found their muscle gain after upping their calories and protein compared to other more hypertrophic inspired programs?

Just curious how people have found their muscle gain after upping their calories and protein compared to other more hypertrophic inspired programs?
I can't really say 100% but I can say that while doing the program (1 series) there were times when I felt I could eat more liberally stayed in the same pants but shirt sleeves were tighter.....may not be scientific but it's how I judge that sort of stuff!

I just finished a 4 week cycle of 1.0 with 2 x 24s, which started as my 8RM. I increased my total weekly reps by about 10 each week, something like 70, 80, 90, 100 for each respective week. This volume is quite a bit lower than what I've seen others do (some people manage 100 reps in a day!!!) I also found that sometimes my reps weren't as strict or smooth at the end of my 5 and 6 rep days as fatigue set in.

What do people recommend I do? Should I move to 1.1 anyway, or maybe repeat 1.0 again and aim for more and better quality reps?

I just finished a 4 week cycle of 1.0 with 2 x 24s, which started as my 8RM. I increased my total weekly reps by about 10 each week, something like 70, 80, 90, 100 for each respective week. This volume is quite a bit lower than what I've seen others do (some people manage 100 reps in a day!!!) I also found that sometimes my reps weren't as strict or smooth at the end of my 5 and 6 rep days as fatigue set in.

What do people recommend I do? Should I move to 1.1 anyway, or maybe repeat 1.0 again and aim for more and better quality reps?
When I started using the 36s they were an 8 RM. What I did was the 2.0 after the 1.0 then moved to the 1.1. The 2.0 Eases into higher rep sets then drops back giving a bit of a break because of the ladder work.

The weekly volume is perfectly fine in my book and my numbers were similar. It's an individual thing.

When I started using the 36s they were an 8 RM. What I did was the 2.0 after the 1.0 then moved to the 1.1. The 2.0 Eases into higher rep sets then drops back giving a bit of a break because of the ladder work.

The weekly volume is perfectly fine in my book and my numbers were similar. It's an individual thing.
Thanks John, that settles that! 2.0 it is.

Question, do you test your RM each cycle or just keep going and test later?

@Dayz I must admit that I took a few months off from "higher rep" c+p's and truth be told I lost it! I guess I'm more wired for the lower rep stuff. In reality I feel like I should return to the Giant 1.0 again in the near future and work my way back up as it had a great impact on me.

I have recently run the 3.0 with the 36s to get more efficient with them. I'm in week 4 now. I tested them again and I'm not ready for the 1.0 with them. I did get the 32s for a " comfortable " 10 and may start them again. It's the old if ya don't use it ya lose it!

Last edited:
Not to keep spamming my progress on this program....(it's a little self indulgent)

I just hit 40 reps in a 30 minute session with a weight that was my 1RM only12 weeks ago.....!
I don't think anyone is hating you for sharing your results. That's a great gain in 12 weeks. Always happy to read about successes here. It likely contributes more to helping others stay the course and seek out their own fantastic results.

This may be mildly off-topic, but I applied this template to front squats because, "Strong!" says IT can be applied to front squats so I figured, "why not this?", and because I've developed a pretty good case of golfer's elbow so thought laying off would help. And front squats are apparently good for you.....

Front squats have not helped my elbows, so I'm going to try something else as far as that goes..... They HAVE, however improved my front squats....

I started by doing a RM test with 36's and got 5 so I did 1.0 with 32's. After 4-weeks, tested 40's and got 5, so I re-did 1.0 but with 36's. All sessions were 30m, and I went pretty much full-out every session; though I did take a week in the middle of second 1.0 where I didn't do much due to a family vacation. Haven't re-tested the 40's (and probably won't bother), but a good comparison is:

Week 1 of 1.0 with 32's, "hard" day was 9 sets of 6.
Week 4 of 1.0 with 36's (8-weeks total), "hard" day was 14 sets of 6.

My last session (this past Friday) was 21-sets of 4 and it was pretty much a metcon.....

I'd probably carry this on for another 4-weeks with the 40's (assuming I can get 8-now), but I have a couple of long bike rides I've signed up for, so am going to switch over to more endurance work for next 8-weeks or so. I plan on trying to maintain strength levels with 2-30m sessions of Dan John's armor building complex (maybe that's supposed to be capitalized? :) ) per week. Probably will use 40's (may have to push press this; we'll see how far my presses have fallen off in 9-weeks, I suppose) one session and 32's the other. Concluded that trying to do anything other than go for a long walk on off-days was too much with all those front squats..... With ABC, I'll be at a MUCH lower volume of FSQT's; especially if only 2x per week. I'm also hoping that 2x per week will be perfect antidote for the elbows (enough stress, but not so much I can't recover).

I'm definitely coming back to the high-volume front squats though. My "trunk" has really never felt so solid. Waist is definitely trimmer....

I say just stick with what you've been doing. If you've been hitting up clean and strict presses, stay with them.
I believe I saw or heard Geoff mention that during the 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 that you should clean and press at a normal pace but when you move on to 2.0 you should speed the clean and press up and focus on explosiveness if possible because you’re doing less reps. I could be imagining this though but I swear I saw it somewhere lol

I believe I saw or heard Geoff mention that during the 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 that you should clean and press at a normal pace but when you move on to 2.0 you should speed the clean and press up and focus on explosiveness if possible because you’re doing less reps. I could be imagining this though but I swear I saw it somewhere lol
I think he says that about 3.0 not 2.0

I tried to speed up my reps but every one is a slow grind on 3.0 lol

I'm looking forward for switching to 2.0 hopefully soon as my elbow, kneck & back are starting to get grumpy.

Nope! I meant my ONE rep max.

I ran my first cycle of 3.0 with push press, which took my strict press from one to four. I then ran my second cycle with strict press and my 4RM became an 8RM
Oh man congrats that’s incredible! I’m struggling to increase my 5RM with 24s so will try this abs cycle the 28s see how that works! Want to be able to do other cycles of the giant

Oh man congrats that’s incredible! I’m struggling to increase my 5RM with 24s so will try this abs cycle the 28s see how that works! Want to be able to do other cycles of the giant
Just keep at it! I've found food helps hahaha.

So 24s are a 5RM? How many could you get with the 28s? One option might be running a cycle with push presses with 28s, or is that what you meant?

Back
Top Bottom