all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Just keep at it! I've found food helps hahaha.

So 24s are a 5RM? How many could you get with the 28s? One option might be running a cycle with push presses with 28s, or is that what you meant?
Yeah I don’t want to put on too much weight (I’m not fat but defo have a little too much BF) but prefer strength over pure aesthetics. Yes atm maybe I could get 6. I have yet to try with my 28s I’m on week 3 sets of 3 so will finish the 4 week cycle and see where I am! I could also try the push press like you said!

Just wrapped up week 2 of 1.0. Went from 9 sets the first week light day to 11 with my 28kgs. Definitely see lots of improvement in my technique and the obvious gains in my arms, back and torso. Even my legs are showing a lot more definition.

I do relish my light days, and not because they are light days. I tend to use that day to tune up my form an execute with crisp, explosive repetitions. Yes, I do my best on the other days to execute correctly, but with fewer reps my mind isn't so distracted by it. That's something I need to work on and those light days have helped me gain more focus for the medium and heavy days.

Can't say enough about The Giant. I love this.

I've noticed that the different series don't always follow the same order of the days (the Light-Medium-Heavy days). For example:

1.0: Medium - Heavy - Light
1.1: Light - Heavy - Medium
1.2: Medium - Heavy - Light
2.0: Light - Medium - Heavy
3.0: Medium - Heavy - Light

Is there a reason for this? Is it intentional for different series? Does it matter?

How many sets are you getting on the hard day?
Depends on how I feel. Im running 1.1 and I tend to get the most total reps on my “light” day. Like this week i got 18 sets of 6 on Monday, and today I got 13 sets of 8. Those sets of 8 can be rough, it’s harder for me to break 100 total reps and the last two were really hard. I thought I was gonna stop at 11 sets but decided to push hard. The thing I love about this program is it’s designed for to be done on your terms. Last week I brought my bells with me on vacation and I knew I was going to be doing a lot during the day so I did less reps I didn’t push as hard. It leaves you that option to still get results still get your work in but chose when you want to push and when you want to just get reps in.

The bodyweight routine didn't work out for me. My shoulder HATES pullups and pushups together. Banging out a MKM workout, Lucky 13, doing 2 weeks in one, and doing some intermittent sets of 3-5 with my double 55's throughout the day. Week 3 heavy day. 5 sets of leg shaking today. Yuck.

I'll be back to 1.0 in 2 weeks and looking forward to it.

The bodyweight routine didn't work out for me. My shoulder HATES pullups and pushups together. Banging out a MKM workout, Lucky 13, doing 2 weeks in one, and doing some intermittent sets of 3-5 with my double 55's throughout the day. Week 3 heavy day. 5 sets of leg shaking today. Yuck.

I'll be back to 1.0 in 2 weeks and looking forward to it.
Brian, funny you mention the pullup thing. At the start of the summer I started doing some again and ended up with barking shoulders. Maybe age related??

Depends on how I feel. Im running 1.1 and I tend to get the most total reps on my “light” day. Like this week i got 18 sets of 6 on Monday, and today I got 13 sets of 8. Those sets of 8 can be rough, it’s harder for me to break 100 total reps and the last two were really hard. I thought I was gonna stop at 11 sets but decided to push hard. The thing I love about this program is it’s designed for to be done on your terms. Last week I brought my bells with me on vacation and I knew I was going to be doing a lot during the day so I did less reps I didn’t push as hard. It leaves you that option to still get results still get your work in but chose when you want to push and when you want to just get reps in.
I never came anywhere near 100 reps per session and I made some of the best fitness gains I had experienced in years using this program.

You're right, you can tailor it to you personally.

Brian, funny you mention the pullup thing. At the start of the summer I started doing some again and ended up with barking shoulders. Maybe age related??
I usually do them with palms facing one another. But that, band pull-aparts and pushups, it felt like I was on the cusp of a separated shoulder. 5 days of Aleve later, it's ok.

I can only do pullups that way or chins. The traditional way with palms facing forward hurts my rear deltoids. Snatches, presses, nothing.

The good news is, it doesn't matter.

I believe Dan John refers to this as MAPS (maybe not his invention, but I hadn't heard it called this before) "Middle Age Pullup Syndrome". :)

Not implying that you're middle aged (I firmly am), but some folks have more mileage than others on their shoulders. :D

I usually do them with palms facing one another. But that, band pull-aparts and pushups, it felt like I was on the cusp of a separated shoulder. 5 days of Aleve later, it's ok.

I can only do pullups that way or chins. The traditional way with palms facing forward hurts my rear deltoids. Snatches, presses, nothing.

The good news is, it doesn't matter.
What's funny is palms forward cause me less grief than chins/underhand palms facing me grip.

Parallel grip is ok.

I believe Dan John refers to this as MAPS (maybe not his invention, but I hadn't heard it called this before) "Middle Age Pullup Syndrome". :)

Not implying that you're middle aged (I firmly am), but some folks have more mileage than others on their shoulders. :D
The MAPS hazard for me is medial epicondylitis (golfer's elbow). Never had any shoulder problems from pullups.

Just curious how people have found their muscle gain after upping their calories and protein compared to other more hypertrophic inspired programs?
I hesitate to make comparisons to other programs. I can say I had been doing intermittent fasting and as soon as I dropped that in week 2 of 1.0, I felt immediately more work capacity. I just wrapped up week 2 and have noticed my shoulder starting to grow, but my biceps and triceps are loving it. Getting some tight sleeve syndrome.
In comparison to other programs, I would say my gains on the Giant are a lot like 12-week muscle building, if I had to compare. My strength is shockingly higher, and that's what happened after 3 weeks on the 12-week program. So the gains are coming across the board. And I end up with plenty of energy to teach my 4-year-old how to ride a bike (see papa running while holding onto her seat).

I hesitate to make comparisons to other programs. I can say I had been doing intermittent fasting and as soon as I dropped that in week 2 of 1.0, I felt immediately more work capacity. I just wrapped up week 2 and have noticed my shoulder starting to grow, but my biceps and triceps are loving it. Getting some tight sleeve syndrome.
In comparison to other programs, I would say my gains on the Giant are a lot like 12-week muscle building, if I had to compare. My strength is shockingly higher, and that's what happened after 3 weeks on the 12-week program. So the gains are coming across the board. And I end up with plenty of energy to teach my 4-year-old how to ride a bike (see papa running while holding onto her seat).
Wow, nice job!

Hello everyone,

I hop on this thread as I’ve just finished a cycle of 3.0 with 2x24kg. I have been doing Strong Phase 1 and a cycle of DFW before starting 3.0 and got good results but never quite managed to get my RM above 5-6 (Still, at the beginning of strong I was push pressing the bells and could not even strict press them once)

I really focused on clean technique during this cycle and I managed to get some nice volume (more than 50 reps/sessions without psyching)

I tested my RM today and got a clean 8.
I could feel the cumulative fatigue from the cleans during the RM test which makes the drill totally different when I pass the 5 reps mark.

I really can’t wait to challenge myself with 1.0 and I know some of you already started it with just an 8RM.

But I thought I might take two additional weeks with say for Medium, Heavy, Light day

3,4,2 reps
4,5,3 reps

Just to ease in a little bit more towards those longer sets.

I felt almost capable of hitting a 9th rep and I really want to stay as clean as possible for 1.0.

Also, I’ve been eating for fat loss for all these cycles and I think it’s time I add some calories if I want to sustain progress from that point. Any thoughts are welcome :)

@Jean-Marie, I'm in almost exactly the same position as you. I ran Strong! P1 with 24s, then tweaked my back during P2. I got kinda bent out of shape (mentally) while I decided what to do with my derailed cycle. After some consideration, I decided to return to The Giant, and enjoy the shorter cycles and feedback loops. I returned to The Giant with the 24s at a 6RM after the injury-induced break.

I'm about half-way through 3.0 and prepared for another month (maybe two) at 3.0 to get my RM high enough to run 1.0, and so on. I think I recall that Coach Neupert has said that you can get away with 8RM in 1.0. Didn't @John Grahill also do a run with an 8RM? I can't remember. Anyway, I'll be interested in how things go for you on 1.0 at 8RM.

I'm about half-way through 3.0 and prepared for another month (maybe two) at 3.0 to get my RM high enough to run 1.0, and so on. I think I recall that Coach Neupert has said that you can get away with 8RM in 1.0. Didn't @John Grahill also do a run with an 8RM? I can't remember. Anyway, I'll be interested in how things go for you on 1.0 at 8RM.
Eric, yes I used 36s my second time through the 1 and 1.1. They were about an 8RM. It worked but my volume was significantly less and they beat me up pretty good as they say. I lost it pretty quickly through the spring. I just this a.m. finished the 3.0 with the 36s and will find out soon if they are back up to an 8RM.

Hello everyone,

I hop on this thread as I’ve just finished a cycle of 3.0 with 2x24kg. I have been doing Strong Phase 1 and a cycle of DFW before starting 3.0 and got good results but never quite managed to get my RM above 5-6 (Still, at the beginning of strong I was push pressing the bells and could not even strict press them once)

I really focused on clean technique during this cycle and I managed to get some nice volume (more than 50 reps/sessions without psyching)

I tested my RM today and got a clean 8.
I could feel the cumulative fatigue from the cleans during the RM test which makes the drill totally different when I pass the 5 reps mark.

I really can’t wait to challenge myself with 1.0 and I know some of you already started it with just an 8RM.

But I thought I might take two additional weeks with say for Medium, Heavy, Light day

3,4,2 reps
4,5,3 reps

Just to ease in a little bit more towards those longer sets.

I felt almost capable of hitting a 9th rep and I really want to stay as clean as possible for 1.0.

Also, I’ve been eating for fat loss for all these cycles and I think it’s time I add some calories if I want to sustain progress from that point. Any thoughts are welcome :)
I like this mindset.

Slow & steady for the win.

Trust the process

Are most of you using your final week as a de-loading week? I just finished week 3 of 1.1 and I pushed hard every day this week. Ended up doing 102 Monday 104 wed and 112 Friday. This was the highest volume week I’ve had in either version of the Giant. I’m thinking next week my body will force me to deload. I honestly couldn’t believe how good my sets of 7 felt today compared to sets of 6 from 1.0. It was only few months ago lol.

Back
Top Bottom