all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

How do y'all warm up? I've found that, after moving my sessions from the morning to the evening and adding a warmup of some sun salutations, that my back and shoulders feel better during the lifting session.

Thought I’d post some metrics after completing Giant 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 - a 12 week commitment. Overall - it was a fun program, i enjoyed getting stronger pressing up a weight, focusing on density. I’m not a newbie lifter, but I’ve struggled through a shoulder impingement for the past couple of years, and needed something to keep me strong and moving. I did the program with 2 20kg kettlebells, because my RM with 24s was about 7-8. Looking back, I think this is something I could have done differently and worked with those instead , because this program does get you strong. No doubt. I’m still on the fence about fat loss, because I did change my diet, and cut out alcohol. Was I 100%? No. But perhaps at 40, I do need to make some drastic changes to see dramatic results.

The results:
Before/After
Chest: 42.6” / 43.5”
Arms: 15” / 16”
Hips: 45.3” / 44.5”
Waist: 40.4” / 40”.

Takeaways:
1) I put some meat on my arms, shoulders and upper back. Definitely see the most changes there.
2) Did not see much body composition changes around the waist and hips
3) Perhaps a 7-9RM C+P is Ok to start this program with. The 20s got hard when I was doing sets of 9, but I was also able to handle the 24s for sets of 7.
4) I missed squats and other movements. I‘m going to probably take the next 6-8 weeks and do something a little more variety.
5) This program definitely helped improve my shoulder health. I still am working through knots in my rhomboids that are messing with my shoulder mechanics, But i can now press a 28kg bell 5 times. That’s progress!

Attachments

• 860FAECC-7824-4895-85BF-48A198E25081.jpeg
    860FAECC-7824-4895-85BF-48A198E25081.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 011D8E71-672A-4AA9-89D0-0BE5DD83DA97.jpeg
    011D8E71-672A-4AA9-89D0-0BE5DD83DA97.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 36
Thought I’d post some metrics after completing Giant 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 - a 12 week commitment. Overall - it was a fun program, i enjoyed getting stronger pressing up a weight, focusing on density. I’m not a newbie lifter, but I’ve struggled through a shoulder impingement for the past couple of years, and needed something to keep me strong and moving. I did the program with 2 20kg kettlebells, because my RM with 24s was about 7-8. Looking back, I think this is something I could have done differently and worked with those instead , because this program does get you strong. No doubt. I’m still on the fence about fat loss, because I did change my diet, and cut out alcohol. Was I 100%? No. But perhaps at 40, I do need to make some drastic changes to see dramatic results.

The results:
Before/After
Chest: 42.6” / 43.5”
Arms: 15” / 16”
Hips: 45.3” / 44.5”
Waist: 40.4” / 40”.

Takeaways:
1) I put some meat on my arms, shoulders and upper back. Definitely see the most changes there.
2) Did not see much body composition changes around the waist and hips
3) Perhaps a 7-9RM C+P is Ok to start this program with. The 20s got hard when I was doing sets of 9, but I was also able to handle the 24s for sets of 7.
4) I missed squats and other movements. I‘m going to probably take the next 6-8 weeks and do something a little more variety.
5) This program definitely helped improve my shoulder health. I still am working through knots in my rhomboids that are messing with my shoulder mechanics, But i can now press a 28kg bell 5 times. That’s progress!
I'm noticing the same. Waiste is staying the same maybe a little bigger, but everything else is growing.

Program is a winner. Added 15 reps from week 1 to week 2 and started week 3 today. Did 13 sets of 5 and left one in the tank. I felt tired when I started today, but warmed up doing some ab work and got into overdrive after 2nd set. It does make you hungry and don't be afraid to eat a lot after the workout.

The bagel sandwich with 2 eggs, ham, salami and pepper jack cheese was well earned. Started with a granny smith apple.

Decided to test my 1 rep c+p single bell max yesterday on my rest day…I just got a new 36kg and wanted to see how it feels. That 36 went up nice! If I wasn’t supposed to be “resting” I would have tried another rep…Honestly I think I could press the 40kg now which sounds crazy to me based on where I was at 5 months ago. Which got me thinking at some point I may do a 1 bell version of the giant with a 36 down the road. We shall see…

Decided to test my 1 rep c+p single bell max yesterday on my rest day…I just got a new 36kg and wanted to see how it feels. That 36 went up nice! If I wasn’t supposed to be “resting” I would have tried another rep…Honestly I think I could press the 40kg now which sounds crazy to me based on where I was at 5 months ago. Which got me thinking at some point I may do a 1 bell version of the giant with a 36 down the road. We shall see…
My theory is that the single bell version may be the better fat burner.

Dude, that rocks!
My theory is that the single bell version may be the better fat burner.
I think I may agree considering every time I do a single bell C+P program my heart rate goes higher....left side for x reps and then repeat it on the other side....lots of time under tension too!

I wanted to try the Giant with a single bell and most likely will at some point but I'm in the midst of "Dumbbell Strong!" right now and loving it!

Last edited:
I'm always not as well recovered as I could be just because of my shift work & abnormal sleep patterns but this month will be especially bad.

Covered 13 miles last night & there was some heavy "lifting" trying to open valves that didn't want to budge.

As to "the giant 3" weirdly out of all the giant programmes I felt the most poorly recovered on that one. Maybe simply a case of the higher intensity
You have more variety in your stressors than in my case, it seems.

I was hitting 160-165 HR during Giant 1.1's heavy days (pair of 16s). After I switched to 3.0, my top end dropped to 130-135 HR (pair of 20s). Hence the improved recovery. I also started sleeping longer (an extra hour on average) and corrected to a more balanced diet with more greens, roots and nuts.

Those who have tried the single bell version how would you typically do it? For example if Monday is 5 rep day would you do 5 reps on the left then take a break and do 5 on the right? Or do them both sides without rest? I guess neither is “wrong” but I could see the the first option getting pretty spicey lol

Those who have tried the single bell version how would you typically do it? For example if Monday is 5 rep day would you do 5 reps on the left then take a break and do 5 on the right? Or do them both sides without rest? I guess neither is “wrong” but I could see the the first option getting pretty spicey lol
Since it's a volume program, I'd assume 5 right then left with no break. Kind of like ROP in that regard.

Neither is wrong under my opinion, when I feel fresh and strong I do 5 and then keep going with the other 5, when I feel low I keep an extra rest between then :)

Just finished week 3 of 1.1. Will deload in week 4 and then move on to 1.2. Went for it this week and logged 269 total reps. I failed for the first time since starting the Giant on the second to last set of the sets of 8 workout. Put the bells down for 15 seconds and completed the set. Didn't have any issues with the final two sets of the workout.

I'm 74" and am down from 198 lbs to 190 (intentional). Despite the weight loss, I do believe I've had some positive body recomp. My shoulders and traps have definitely increased in size. I'd like to lose about 8-10 more to get to around 13-14% BF and then run through with my 55 lb. bells while eating at a slight surplus.

I'm wondering if I should do something like the Wolf after I complete 1.2 with my current KBs to help with the last bit of weight loss before I attempt Giant with the 55s. Would I lose a significant amount of pressing strength in a six week Wolf diversion? If so, could I just run through Giant 3.0 with the 55s to recoup my losses?

45 lb. KBs1.01.1
WK1 reps201214
WK2216235
WK3236269
WK4deloaddeload

Just finished week 3 of 1.1. Will deload in week 4 and then move on to 1.2. Went for it this week and logged 269 total reps. I failed for the first time since starting the Giant on the second to last set of the sets of 8 workout. Put the bells down for 15 seconds and completed the set. Didn't have any issues with the final two sets of the workout.

I'm 74" and am down from 198 lbs to 190 (intentional). Despite the weight loss, I do believe I've had some positive body recomp. My shoulders and traps have definitely increased in size. I'd like to lose about 8-10 more to get to around 13-14% BF and then run through with my 55 lb. bells while eating at a slight surplus.

I'm wondering if I should do something like the Wolf after I complete 1.2 with my current KBs to help with the last bit of weight loss before I attempt Giant with the 55s. Would I lose a significant amount of pressing strength in a six week Wolf diversion? If so, could I just run through Giant 3.0 with the 55s to recoup my losses?

45 lb. KBs1.01.1
WK1 reps201214
WK2216235
WK3236269
WK4deloaddeload
Holy smokes!! That's a lot of reps! I couldn't come anywhere near that amount!! Some workouts for me 50 reps was an effort!

45 lb. KBs1.01.1
WK1 reps201214
WK2216235
WK3236269
WK4deloaddeload
Great work. The Giant is working with the weight loss. Keep going!

In regard to your other question, if you own More Kettlebell Muscle/Kettlebell Hard, you're better off running The Basic or The Long Haul to take that last bit of weight off. Wolf is a great program, but those two are made for fat loss.

Then on off days, do like, 3 x 3 with 55's. No more.

Great work. The Giant is working with the weight loss. Keep going!

In regard to your other question, if you own More Kettlebell Muscle/Kettlebell Hard, you're better off running The Basic or The Long Haul to take that last bit of weight off. Wolf is a great program, but those two are made for fat loss.

Then on off days, do like, 3 x 3 with 55's. No more.
Thanks for the advice. I'll be buying Hard sooner than planned!

Can someone remind me where I find the Giant program. I have the legacy collection and I remember seeing the programs but I can't remember which specific product the Giant is included in.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom