all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Just hit my last session of 3.0 this morning. It’s timed pretty well with my rest week lining up with the holiday/days off from work coming up. Planning on just stretching and maybe popping out a few swings mid week.

More results from the Giant. I’ve basically been strictly running the Giant since May. I tested my push press max today and was able to get the 40kg up! This would not be possible for me 8 months ago. I almost got it with a strict military press but failed 3/4 the way up. Also tested my 1 hand swings and snatches. I was able to do both with 32kg…this is more proof that the Giant can transfer over other lifts. Here’s some proof!

More results from the Giant. I’ve basically been strictly running the Giant since May. I tested my push press max today and was able to get the 40kg up! This would not be possible for me 8 months ago. I almost got it with a strict military press but failed 3/4 the way up. Also tested my 1 hand swings and snatches. I was able to do both with 32kg…this is more proof that the Giant can transfer over other lifts. Here’s some proof!

Great job dude! The clean and press covers many bases in the fitness world! Makes your whole body strong!

My 1 rep max was on the SA press was 32kg. Even the thought of holding the 40kg in the rack was much more difficult. I’m that video I actually realized I wasn’t utilizing my off hand as well as I could, next Saturday I may try my strict press again with the 40 because I was close without the push press.

I handed swings I could safely swing a 24…I tried 28s but injured my low back becuase I couldn’t handle the load.

I could snatch the 28kg but it was also sketchy.

@Dries S did last year I believe. I did years back when the Giant was part of "Kettlebell Express" ..... I only did the 1.0, not the full series. Works well with a single bell too.
I did indeed John! Did the 1.0 and 1.1 with a single 40kg kb. For me the hardest part was the conditioning, because you have to do both arms. I think double bells will have a better strength/hypertrophy effect (as stated in the program itself).
I did the Giant in April last year, then I did a few months of bodyweight training and now I'm back at the Giant.
I started Giant 3.0 with double 40's last week. Although I only got 4 solid reps C&P with those bells, I couldn't resist to try. I'm planning to keep running 3.0 cycles until I can get 10 reps to start 1.0. I'll report back in a few weeks :)!

Did the 1.0 and 1.1 with a single 40kg kb. For me the hardest part was the conditioning, because you have to do both arms. I think double bells will have a better strength/hypertrophy effect (as stated in the program itself).
I found this in your training journal. There is nothing there about the effects. Does it work more conditioning with one bell?
It would even suit me.

I found this in your training journal. There is nothing there about the effects. Does it work more conditioning with one bell?
It would even suit me.
Anecdotally, single bell is more huff-and-puff (for me at least). I am in week 4 of 1.0 and doing single-arm this week (3 weeks up, 1 week down pattern), and those extra cleans add a conditioning element. I think I “feel” it in my obliques more with single-arm than double too, if that makes any sense.

Anecdotally, single bell is more huff-and-puff (for me at least). I am in week 4 of 1.0 and doing single-arm this week (3 weeks up, 1 week down pattern), and those extra cleans add a conditioning element. I think I “feel” it in my obliques more with single-arm than double too, if that makes any sense.
Me too. Five reps left arm and I'm starting to get out of breath.....then same thing on the right/stronger side without stopping and I'm really fatigued. I think it's one of the benefits of single-arm work.

Me too. Five reps left arm and I'm starting to get out of breath.....then same thing on the right/stronger side without stopping and I'm really fatigued. I think it's one of the benefits of single-arm work.
I don't think it's the cleans so much as having to stay tight on the presses for twice as much time under tension. And I agree that single presses hit the obliques, just like suitcase carries vs. two-arm farmer carries.

When I do single presses, I always start on my non-dominant side because all my stabilizing musculature will be a little fatigued by the time I get to my dominant side. But once I get my reps on my non-dominant side, I know I can still match it on my dominant side.

Another under appreciated value of one arm clean and presses in my humble opinion is muscle gain. I'm in agreement with Dan John who favors one arm presses for muscle growth. Every time I've run the ROP pressing program I've grown muscle.
I think it's most likely longer time under tension.

This is a long thread, so I'm not sure if anyone already asked this, but has anyone used the TGU as a warm up? Like 10 minutes TGU casually, working up in weight, nothing too intense, then 20/30 minutes clean and press?

This is a long thread, so I'm not sure if anyone already asked this, but has anyone used the TGU as a warm up? Like 10 minutes TGU casually, working up in weight, nothing too intense, then 20/30 minutes clean and press?
I haven't necessarily done this but I dont see why this wouldn't work if you keep the TGU loads to 'not too heavy'. TGU would activate the entire body and also increase mobility of the shoulders - all good stuff for clean and press.

Not for this program, but I never regret spending 5-10 minutes with getups with a light-medium bell.

Back
Top Bottom