all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Another under appreciated value of one arm clean and presses in my humble opinion is muscle gain. I'm in agreement with Dan John who favors one arm presses for muscle growth. Every time I've run the ROP pressing program I've grown muscle.
I think it's most likely longer time under tension.
Might it be fair to say that double C&P is best for increasing one’s double C&P strength (ability to lift heavier or for more reps), while single-arm has more far-reaching benefits (at the expense, perhaps, of “carryover” to double-bell strength)?

This is a long thread, so I'm not sure if anyone already asked this, but has anyone used the TGU as a warm up? Like 10 minutes TGU casually, working up in weight, nothing too intense, then 20/30 minutes clean and press?
When I ran The Giant a few months back I did light TGUs as warmup along with prying goblet squats, glute bridge, wheel pose and arm bars.

I believe @Eyetic did.
I still do!! thanks for remembering!! Its been a wonderfull year of c&p!!!
Anybody did The Giant 1.0 with single kettlebell? How effects?
Pretty great, hypertrophy is good (specially on the 5+ reps range), single work make you clean twice so your legs will be tire after each session, got to say also that my legs / butt got bigger ahahaha core is also more engaged with single bell work, I'll tell you next summer how my abs are if I managed to keep my calories low....

I'm currently using a 34kgs bell and eventually will start with 1.0 on February (january will be another 3.0 month) and I'm pretty happy, its worth 100%, check my log if you want as I've posted my pics, results are not the same for everyone but this program + healthy diet for me works wonders (just adjust the calorie intake according to your needs).

This is a long thread, so I'm not sure if anyone already asked this, but has anyone used the TGU as a warm up? Like 10 minutes TGU casually, working up in weight, nothing too intense, then 20/30 minutes clean and press?
I do a couple of TGUs, on average about 2 per side. I use a moderately heavy bell for me, because I like how it "warms up my focus/concentration" on the exercise, for lack of better words. Sometimes, I also do armbars and prying armbars, because it subjectively helps me with setting my shoulders for pressing.

For the sake of completeness, the rest of my warm up routine are power breathing drills and mobility drills, prying goblet squats and haloes (because old S&S habits die hard).

Might it be fair to say that double C&P is best for increasing one’s double C&P strength (ability to lift heavier or for more reps), while single-arm has more far-reaching benefits (at the expense, perhaps, of “carryover” to double-bell strength)?
I mostly agree with one exception.....I did the ROP years back with a 40 and I found that my double 40 press was stronger. Admittedly mileage varies.

Another under appreciated value of one arm clean and presses in my humble opinion is muscle gain. I'm in agreement with Dan John who favors one arm presses for muscle growth. Every time I've run the ROP pressing program I've grown muscle.
I think it's most likely longer time under tension.
Maybe I’ll run 1.0 with my single 36 next still haven’t decided what route to go. But the 1 arm version sounds like a beast. I’ve done the ABC complex with a single bell and found it more difficult.

Good to hear the singles variation is fun to run too, could be a good way to build up more slowly to heavier bells.

Double bell Giant with a set of bells, Single bell Giant with the next bell up, Double bell Giant with same weight etc.

I’m toying with the idea once I get through 1.1 and 1.2 with my doubles.

Good to hear the singles variation is fun to run too, could be a good way to build up more slowly to heavier bells.

Double bell Giant with a set of bells, Single bell Giant with the next bell up, Double bell Giant with same weight etc.

I’m toying with the idea once I get through 1.1 and 1.2 with my doubles.
I think that sounds like a great way to continually stay with the Giant! Certainly can get a lot of mileage put of it!

Once again I'm finding the 20/25/30/25 time template to really make a difference. Yesterday was 25 minutes day 1 week 1 and I felt great afterward.
Picking a challenging yet sustainable pace and adding time to each workout of each week through the first three weeks is awesome! In the last few minutes I picked up the pace on Monday. Week 4's "max effort" week now becomes something I actually look forward to!

Week 4's is not deload week?

I do 20/25/30/25
No. I needed to change it up.

I found ramping up density for 30 minutes each workout each week in the first three weeks too stressful.

This way week four is the highest effort week density wise. The first three weeks increase volume by adding 5 minutes to each workout each week and week four is the max effort/density week.

Was a suggestion of Geoff's that I found to be a game changer for me for the better!

Think RPE 6/7/8/9. I find it keeps the program challenging and sustainable.

Last edited:
I still do!! thanks for remembering!! Its been a wonderfull year of c&p!!!

Pretty great, hypertrophy is good (specially on the 5+ reps range), single work make you clean twice so your legs will be tire after each session, got to say also that my legs / butt got bigger ahahaha core is also more engaged with single bell work, I'll tell you next summer how my abs are if I managed to keep my calories low....

I'm currently using a 34kgs bell and eventually will start with 1.0 on February (january will be another 3.0 month) and I'm pretty happy, its worth 100%, check my log if you want as I've posted my pics, results are not the same for everyone but this program + healthy diet for me works wonders (just adjust the calorie intake according to your needs).
Yeah @Eyetic I should have remembered that too....my apologies!

Thank you! I understand.
How much reps you did in week 1,2,3 and 4?
With option 20/25/30/25.
I haven't completed the 1.0 yet, I'm in week 2. I'm hoping to hit 60 reps for at least one session by next week but not sure. I use a true 10 RM and force a bit more rest between sets to keep the form tight. Just my opinion but I think some go too crazy worrying about doing reps.....I put more of a priority on doing the reps well and adding just a bit each week......everyone's mileage is different!

Thank you! I understand.
How much reps you did in week 1,2,3 and 4?
With option 20/25/30/25.
I was using the double 20s (my 10RM) when I ran Giant 1.0. And I just looked at my log for the following

time = 30 mins for all sessions
sets of 5​
sets of 6​
sets of 4​
week 1
90​
78​
108​
week 2
85​
90​
116​
week 3
115​
96​
128​
week 4
95​
82​
92​

week 4 was a de-load week and therefore I intentionally dialled the intensity down.

Back
Top Bottom