all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

@taro there's no way I could ever approach the rep ranges some post here. Just do what you can and don't worry what others post. Generally for me 60 is toward the top end of 30 minute sessions! I can't put up the numbers/volume some others can but it's ok.

As an example. I noticed @mvikred was able to get 100 reps in a 30 minute session more than once......my hat's off to him! I couldn't ever get that total! But that's just how I'm wired! We are all different.

Last edited:
Giant 1.0 in the books.

2x20kg, except week 4 (single-arm)
Day 1Day 2Day 3
Week 1556060
Week 2606566
Week 3707276
Week 4*55**48/4848/48

2x15’ sessions
* 2x10’ sessions
** session 1: 30 reps 2x20kg; session 2: 25/25 single-arm

2.0 next week. I’m liking single-arm so I think I’ll go with that.

@taro there's no way I could ever approach the rep ranges some post here. Just do what you can and don't worry what others post. Generally for me 60 is toward the top end of 30 minute sessions! I can't put up the numbers/volume some others can but it's ok.

As an example. I noticed @mvikred was able to get 100 reps in a 30 minute session more than once......my hat's off to him! I couldn't ever get that total! But that's just how I'm wired! We are all different.
My experience is similar to yours, John.

In week 3, @mvikred did 128 reps in a 30 minute session using sets of 4. That's 32 sets in 30 minutes. It takes me about 30 seconds to do a set of 4 from park to park (just did test set to confirm). That would leave 27 seconds of rest between sets (only counting 31 rest intervals because you don't count rest time after the last set). There's absolutely no way I could do that myself.

@taro,

Your reps compared to others don't matter.

That's one of the many beauties of autoregulation - YOU do what YOU can do.

For example, I'm a "power" guy. I'm very fast twitch. Always have been. Consequentially, I suck at anything endurance - longer than about 15-20s of work. If I get 50 reps of ANY exercise, IT'S A LOT.

So I don't compare the amount of "work" I can do vs. some of the guys on this board. I just compare what I can do NOW compared to what I have done.

That's my recommendation.

Hope it helps.

I was completely gassed when I broke 100 with the 24s. I’m talking dripping sweat, heart pounding, full body pump lol. I won’t even try to put up that much volume again.

I absolutely echo with everything that I've read about not being concerned about what numbers other put up. When I was doing this set which had almost 128 reps, in my head I had it as an EMOM. I knew I was pushing it, and I wanted to. I just checked my HR map from that workout and I was hitting pretty high numbers and definitely treading into the anaerobic zone. But this was not every session.

Also if we start comparing ourselves to others there is no end to feeling like there is a lot to do. And @Geoff Neupert has nicely articulated it
So I don't compare the amount of "work" I can do vs. some of the guys on this board. I just compare what I can do NOW compared to what I have done.
It is a competition with no one but yourself. And to me that is progress ! I was chasing absolute goals at one point in my life but now its about how I've improved vs my old self.

@Geoff Neupert I know you like auto-regulation and initially I was using talk-test as a measure for that but later started taking the following approach. I do the set and then wait until my HR falls down to 120bpm - which is roughly when I feel very comfortable and fully recovered. Then I start the next set. Early into the 30 min block, the rests between the sets are smaller but as I get deeper into the 30 min set the rest periods increase. I've done this because I can objectively also see if my recovery is improving over time. Do you think this approach is fine?

Thanks for the answers. I am interested in the comparison of the number of repetitions made in the fourth week - 25 minutes compared to the previous weeks. 20, 25, 30 minutes.

I don't want to compare it with myself. I am interested in the number of repetitions in the last week, but with a shorter time.

Thanks for the answers. I am interested in the comparison of the number of repetitions made in the fourth week - 25 minutes compared to the previous weeks. 20, 25, 30 minutes.

I don't want to compare it with myself. I am interested in the number of repetitions in the last week, but with a shorter time.
The point is, it will be different for you so why bother looking at others rep counts?

You can assume it will be more reps than week 2 which is the same amount of time (as that’s how the program works) but in terms of week 1 and 3 John might do more in week 4 than week 3 and you might do substantially less (or vice versa). Neither is right or wrong.

I don't want to compare it with myself.

As you wrote - it can be assumed, and I'm interested in how it really turned out. I will let you know how it was with me, when I will finish.

The point is, it will be different for you so why bother looking at others rep counts?

You can assume it will be more reps than week 2 which is the same amount of time (as that’s how the program works) but in terms of week 1 and 3 John might do more in week 4 than week 3 and you might do substantially less (or vice versa). Neither is right or wrong.
Yup....I'm currently doing and enjoying the 20/25/30/25 template. I find a good pace FOR ME and use it for the first three weeks. The time increase obviously increases the volume. In week 4 I really push the density as SAFELY as I can.....I try to hit the rep total in each session from the previous week (week 3) during this high density week. Doesn't always happen!

I sometimes think we overthink this program too much. I like to think of it this way, it's simple in design for a reason.....no thinking just do the work!

As an example, I never worry about using my heart rate to start the next set because in my case I have learned that for me heart rate isn't always a good enough indicator of readiness for next set. This is especially so with heavier weight. I am certainly not criticizing anyone for doing so, just sharing my experiences.

I have noticed that at times my peak heart rate in a session is often lower at the end of a program with more work completed than at the start. In other words it doesn't work as hard to complete more work and volume than it did doing less at the start of the program.

My experience is similar to yours, John.

In week 3, @mvikred did 128 reps in a 30 minute session using sets of 4. That's 32 sets in 30 minutes. It takes me about 30 seconds to do a set of 4 from park to park (just did test set to confirm). That would leave 27 seconds of rest between sets (only counting 31 rest intervals because you don't count rest time after the last set). There's absolutely no way I could do that myself.
Yeah, @mvikred must be a machine!!

It just goes to show that we are all wired differently and it makes no difference.....we all can make progress with a well designed program at our own paces!

I sometimes think we overthink this program too much. I like to think of it this way, it's simple in design for a reason.....no thinking just do the work!

As an example, I never worry about using my heart rate to start the next set because in my case I have learned that for me heart rate isn't always a good enough indicator of readiness for next set. This is especially so with heavier weight. I am certainly not criticizing anyone for doing so, just sharing my experiences.

I have noticed that at times my peak heart rate in a session is often lower at the end of a program with more work completed than at the start. In other words it doesn't work as hard to complete more work and volume than it did doing less at the start of the program.
Great points.

My run of 1.0 with 2x15’ sessions meant I could “push it” a little more each session, because it took ~8 minutes to really warm up, but the session terminated before huffing and puffing, sweating, etc. I don’t know if that means I’m more slow-twitch or what, but it worked for me (movement breaks in work from home).

Great points.

My run of 1.0 with 2x15’ sessions meant I could “push it” a little more each session, because it took ~8 minutes to really warm up, but the session terminated before huffing and puffing, sweating, etc. I don’t know if that means I’m more slow-twitch or what, but it worked for me (movement breaks in work from home).
Your points are great too....I think you're on to something....push it for 15 minutes, do same later on.....would yield more overall work in the long run because you miss that last 7 to 10 minute fatigue that sets in!

Well today was an odd one. The 1.0 Week Two's low rep day/light day. I used double 36 kgs by accident.....the Perform Better bells I have look alike. Didn't notice until halfway through and continued using them. It worked just fine! Not going to switch to them for the whole protocol but may use them on the light day next week too depending on how I feel!

For the record I got 37 reps in 24 minutes....had a nice pumped feeling and felt "worked" for sure! I'll never be able to hit 100 reps with them in a half hour! Some of you guys are machines!!

Yeah, @mvikred must be a machine!!

It just goes to show that we are all wired differently and it makes no difference.....we all can make progress with a well designed program at our own paces!
I am no machine, kind sir. But I am a competitive SOB. Wired that way for sure. Growing up in India, trying to differentiate yourself, you kinda get that competitiveness ingrained in your DNA. The competitiveness was always external, and it took years of experience to re-wire that to internal competitiveness. Now it’s just me against an older version of me.

I don’t get to say it but I am so humbled by all the great feats several folks do over here. To be honest, it is one of the main reason why I got hooked to KBs. Being humbled everyday and helping me a better version of my self everyday. I take that same philosophy to everything else in life !!

On another note, I do want to run Giant with double 24s soon. I will know soon what I am made of !! I skipped the double 24s and jumped to double 28s with the KB strong, so that carryover should be felt using double 24s. I will know soon !!!

I am no machine, kind sir. But I am a competitive SOB. Wired that way for sure. Growing up in India, trying to differentiate yourself, you kinda get that competitiveness ingrained in your DNA. The competitiveness was always external, and it took years, experience, to re-wire that to internal competitiveness. Now it’s just me against an older version of me.

I am so humbled by all the great feats several folks do over here. To be honest, it is one of the main reason why I got hooked to KBs. Being humbled everyday !!!

But on another note. I want to run Giant with double 24s soon. I will know soon what I am made of !! I skipped the double 24s and jumped to double 28s with the KB strong, so that carryover should be felt using double 24s.
I'm willing to wager the Strong Program with 28s absolutely will prep you for the Giant with 24s! Go forth and conquer sir!

Back
Top Bottom