all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

That’s great. I also considered doing 2.0 after 1.0 as a transition to 1.1, but I chose to do an additional 1.0

Tonight is the heavy session of week#2 I’ll be aiming for 11 sets.

The medium session on Monday went quite well with 13 sets / 65 reps.

After one week with increased food intake, I definitely feel stronger.

Be strong !

Is it me or are the heavy days in Geoff's programs just pure evil? As in anxiety/dread before you start? 2 weeks through 2.0. Whether it be Kettlebell Muscle, More Kettlebell Muscle, or the Giant, the longer you progress on these programs, you get to know your limit from a strength and conditioning perspective. See heavy day, week 9 of the Long Haul, weeks 6 and 12 of Kettlebell Muscle, and The Giant, 2.0,, 1.1 or 1.2. I had to push press the last 2 reps of the "8" set in the 4th round. I got them, but wasn't going to try and grind them out and risk popping my SI joint.
Brian, I have said that before....Thursday nights were dreary doing KBM because I knew Friday was the heavy day!

Just going to throw out there for the record that the Giant is probably my favorite programming ever. I've gone through 1.0 -> 1.1 on my lighter double jerk, then 1.0 with single, then 3.0 with heavier doubles, and just started this week a heavier single (working 3.0 C&J now with 1x32kg). I absolutely love it.

I was on a more complicated program for the last five weeks that wasn't working well with my life (leaving me too tired, physically and mentally), and switched back to Giant. The simplicity is great. I'll make great progress on it (guaranteed, basically). Thanks @Geoff Neupert for the brilliant programming!
Agreed. I’ve tried some
Other popular programs that were simply too much for me. Not that I couldn’t do it, but it left me mentally and physically drained. As most of us have families and jobs this didn’t fit my lifestyle. Also I realized I can obtain great gains without being so sore I can’t walk.

I recently started doing 3.0 and wondered, if some of you also got a slight problem with the autoregulation aspect. Due to it not being too cardiovasculary intense and more on the strength side of things, I really find it hard to tell, when I am ready to go again… and sometimes even feel like I somewhat miss a more defined structure…

I recently started doing 3.0 and wondered, if some of you also got a slight problem with the autoregulation aspect. Due to it not being too cardiovasculary intense and more on the strength side of things, I really find it hard to tell, when I am ready to go again… and sometimes even feel like I somewhat miss a more defined structure…
Just a thought, but if you're using a true 5 RM, you'll kind of know "when it's time go" if ya know what I mean. 3+ minutes between sets is far from uncommon. If you try to compress the rest periods too quickly you'll quite possibly derail.

Speaking of the heavy days, I just did the 9 rep day in 1.2 (week 3, thankfully). It was an absolute slog. I loved the Giant but am glad to be able to walk away from it for a bit. After 12 weeks (technically 11 if not counting the deload), my body needs a break. My shoulders and back are bigger than they've ever been, I'm down 20 lbs and somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-14% bf, and although I haven't tested it yet, I'm sure my strength is the best it's ever been. But my body is beaten down, and I'm looking forward to a week at the beach and some easier training for a few weeks after. I'm coming back with bigger bells soon, though...

Put on some motivational music of your choice and do a set during every other song....still a little shaky?....just wait for the next song. That's what I do.... :)

Does anyone else ever get upper bod tension heavy doing double c p? What I mean is sometimes (normally in the middle sets) I find myself forgetting to really fire my quads. But then as I get tired (and start to struggle) I remember to get back to keeping the lower body tension during the press. I guess what I’m saying is I’m just now realizing how important lower body tension is for pressing.

Does anyone else ever get upper bod tension heavy doing double c p? What I mean is sometimes (normally in the middle sets) I find myself forgetting to really fire my quads. But then as I get tired (and start to struggle) I remember to get back to keeping the lower body tension during the press. I guess what I’m saying is I’m just now realizing how important lower body tension is for pressing.
I guess I never really thought about it. I just checked my log and in Week 3 of Giant 1.0 with double 20s, I was hitting a total of around 128/115/96 for sets of 4/5/6 respectively. And I distinctly remember just my grip weakening as the sets progressed. For MP I guess I wasn't actively thinking as my presses felt strong until the end, so maybe I wasn't being challenged from a lower body tension perspective. But I follow all the cues given by Geoff in KB Strong videos and that has sort of become second nature as of now. And as a recent fan of the Victorious program by Fabio, Full body tension is a must for a strong MP.

I guess I never really thought about it. I just checked my log and in Week 3 of Giant 1.0 with double 20s, I was hitting a total of around 128/115/96 for sets of 4/5/6 respectively. And I distinctly remember just my grip weakening as the sets progressed. For MP I guess I wasn't actively thinking as my presses felt strong until the end, so maybe I wasn't being challenged from a lower body tension perspective. But I follow all the cues given by Geoff in KB Strong videos and that has sort of become second nature as of now. And as a recent fan of the Victorious program by Fabio, Full body tension is a must for a strong MP
+1. The idea that an overhead press is a shoulder movement is not completely right. The shoulders work for sure but the whole body is used during the movement.

Yes, I think I have this problem too. I used 2x20kg in the program and could get away with using my upper body almost exclusively until I got tired in the high rep sessions. Then I'd consciously tighten my glutes and abs and white-knuckle the KBs and find another gear. I did the Giant so I could build up to strict pressing 2x24kg for more than a few reps, something that has always eluded me. I now suspect it's not so much my pressing strength holding me back as it is me not making it a whole-body movement.

I'd be curious if running through a second time with a pair of 20kg KBs would help to push the RM up to 10 for a pair of 24s. After my first run of 1.0 through 1.2 with 20s several months ago, I also got a very hard 7RM with 24s.

I'd be curious if running through a second time with a pair of 20kg KBs would help to push the RM up to 10 for a pair of 24s. After my first run of 1.0 through 1.2 with 20s several months ago, I also got a very hard 7RM with 24s.
That's a good thought. I thought about doing a "1.3" with reps of 10 on the heavy day. But 1.2 put me in my place. 7 is close to 10. I'd imagine doing a strength program with some 85% intensity sets built in would get a person there eventually.

Back
Top Bottom