all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

I recently started doing 3.0 and wondered, if some of you also got a slight problem with the autoregulation aspect. Due to it not being too cardiovasculary intense and more on the strength side of things, I really find it hard to tell, when I am ready to go again… and sometimes even feel like I somewhat miss a more defined structure…
Use the speed of your reps as your guide. If they slow down within a set or from set to set, rest a little longer between sets.

Hope that helps.

I know it's heresy, but I'm doing front squats after every c+p set. Matching whatever the rep scheme is for that day. Honestly, I like it. The only qualm I have is I really don't like mismatched bells. It just doesn't feel right. I'm debating on having my lighter set at home for the lighter set of the program on the weekend or just using the next step up bells since the reps will be lower anyways.

I know it's heresy, but I'm doing front squats after every c+p set. Matching whatever the rep scheme is for that day. Honestly, I like it. The only qualm I have is I really don't like mismatched bells. It just doesn't feel right. I'm debating on having my lighter set at home for the lighter set of the program on the weekend or just using the next step up bells since the reps will be lower anyways.
It's not heresy, it's just being masochistic :)

Use the speed of your reps as your guide. If they slow down within a set or from set to set, rest a little longer between sets.

Hope that helps.
+1. In addition if I may add, if you think a set will be really brutal to complete, wait! There's no rush. In my humble mind, although there is a density-type approach to this program there's no need to push like crazy! If you're using a challenging weight, you may need some extra time. No shame. I look at some of the numbers put up by some folks whose volume in one week was like a month's worth of work for me! @Don Fairbanks said it best.....and I'm paraphrasing.....density training is fine but the form must remain "passable" on each set.

Last edited:
It's not exactly heresy, since that's the approach in Dry Fighting Weight.

BTW, I absolutely hate the feel of mismatched bells. Some people don't mind it, and there are hypothetical advantages in stabilization demand, but I just can't stand it. I'd much rather just do a single bell program than use mismatched doubles.

Week#2 of 1.0 done
65/66/72

I’ll try to increase the volume by at least one set for each session next week.

I would like to be in the 80 ball park when I start 1.1 (10 sets of 8 would be nice)

I know it’s auto regulation but I really like to plan volume in advance and having an idea of my rest times.

Like Pavel says in one of his books. -the vase must be exactly in the center of the table!-kind of guy.

It's not exactly heresy, since that's the approach in Dry Fighting Weight.

BTW, I absolutely hate the feel of mismatched bells. Some people don't mind it, and there are hypothetical advantages in stabilization demand, but I just can't stand it. I'd much rather just do a single bell program than use mismatched doubles.
Glad I'm not the only. To me, there's just an odd feel to it. I can do it, but nah. I'll be switching my bells back to even loads. Not sure whether I will bring the bells home with .e for my one weekend session or use a different size set.

Has anyone run this program with some back to back days?

I just started a new cycle then found out my work roster is changing.

I have a fortnightly roster. I can lift Wednesday- Friday- Sunday one week. Perfect!

But the other week, my options are:

Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Whichever way you slice it i need to do back to back for one workout.

Anyone tried this? Suggestions?

Has anyone run this program with some back to back days?

I just started a new cycle then found out my work roster is changing.

I have a fortnightly roster. I can lift Wednesday- Friday- Sunday one week. Perfect!

But the other week, my options are:

Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Whichever way you slice it i need to do back to back for one workout.

Anyone tried this? Suggestions?
I can speak from personal experience that I sometimes (like you when time constrained) did M and L days on consecutive days, but gave a day’s break for the H day. Also I didnt strictly follow the weekly approach of 3 days in a week. Instead I went for alternate days, so I got down with the 12 workouts in under 30 days. Just to add, that whenever I did do consecutive days, I made sure that I did a decent bit of recovery work.

Want to share my results from Giant 3.0 (completed today), with 1x32kg C&J:

Week 1: in three sessions, 90 C&Js completed
Week 2: 92 total
Week 3: 84, but in two sessions instead of three.
Week 4: 118 (+28 from wk1).

Looking for advice: would Giant 1.0 or 3.0 a second time would be advised? I want to up my rep potential with a 32 still, so I want to keep on the Giant another 4 weeks.

Another note: I had some noticeable hypertrophy from just 4 weeks of this (girlfriend noticed, so something worked haha).

Looking for advice: would Giant 1.0 or 3.0 a second time would be advised? I want to up my rep potential with a 32 still, so I want to keep on the Giant another 4 weeks.

Another note: I had some noticeable hypertrophy from just 4 weeks of this (girlfriend noticed, so something worked haha).
I would do a rep max test if you haven't. If you get 8+, time for 1.0

Have you tried it with doubles yet? If not that’s a great route to go if you can get two bells. Not sure what your bell collection is like. Its a muscle building monster with 2 bells if you ask me. My shoulders, chest, core, back, and quads have all shown improvement… my shirts fit tighter in the arms and shoulders for sure.

Last edited:
+1. In addition if I may add, if you think a set will be really brutal to complete, wait! There's no rush. In my humble mind, although there is a density-type approach to this program there's no need to push like crazy! If you're using a challenging weight, you may need some extra time. No shame. I look at some of the numbers put up by some folks whose volume in one week was like a month's worth of work for me! @Don Fairbanks said it best.....and I'm paraphrasing.....density training is fine but the form must remain "passable" on each set.

I was able to keep my form a few months ago getting up into the 112 rep range, but I found I was starting to feel some little aches and pains creep back into my life from past injuries. Just pushing that hard takes a toll. I think I plan to try and keep progressing to where once I can hit 80-90 reps of a weight I’ll repeat 1.0 with heavier bells. That’s seems like a good top range for me.

Back
Top Bottom