all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

You're not missing anything. It's a hard to do a lot of long sets. The first 5-6 reps, the bells fly but as you progress in the number of sets, those last two reps get harder and hard.

I have two workouts left in 1.1. I cut the workout time down to 20. And have been in the 40-48 range for reps. I'm not chasing any sets and just want to get to 40. On my 5th set of 8, the other day, I failed on the last rep.

1.1 and 1.2 are really hard. My only suggestion is don't do any other workout besides walking. Nothing else.
My volume stayed similar throughout each phase but I'm pretty sure it's because doing sets of 7,8 and 9 of cleans and presses kick you in the butt!! This is by design! When I did that 10x10 romp in March it took me like 59 minutes because I needed like 5 minutes between set!!

@BrianCF is spot on...limit other activities on off days.

You're not missing anything. It's a hard to do a lot of long sets. The first 5-6 reps, the bells fly but as you progress in the number of sets, those last two reps get harder and hard.

I have two workouts left in 1.1. I cut the workout time down to 20. And have been in the 40-48 range for reps. I'm not chasing any sets and just want to get to 40. On my 5th set of 8, the other day, I failed on the last rep.

1.1 and 1.2 are really hard. My only suggestion is don't do any other workout besides walking. Nothing else.
The only other workout you should do is eat

Working through week one of 3.0 and it’s definitely a different feel than the others so far. I feel really fresh still and actually felt like doing a couple sets of swings to finish my 30 min up. I felt I had more to give energy wise, but I couldn’t keep pressing safely with that heavier weight. Interested to see how my 1 rep per set Friday goes. Also interested to see how I can progress the next 2 weeks and if I will actually make my 5 rep max bells my new Giant 1.0 bells

but I couldn’t keep pressing safely with that heavier weight.
I know what you mean. There's times between sets when the heart rate and breathing are calm but systemically you know you won't be able to keep good form doing another set. The "old" me would say push through it! Now I wait a bit.

Don't think you aren't getting benefits....the heavy weight still gives a hormonal response in your body!

Just finished 1.0 and took a rest week. Used double 24kg bells. Starting 1.1. Really enjoy the small amount of time it takes and how smoked I am during it. A question I had was in sets where you don't complete the full set.

e.g. Got to 5 reps in a set of 6 and had to put them down and rest a few seconds, then completed the last set.

Is this counted as a set? Should I continue with sets if I can't get a complete set in w/o putting them down or should I just be done for the session regardless of time remaining? I could obviously rest a bit more in between sets as well but this is my first go around in the Giant so still figuring it out a bit.

Just finished 1.0 and took a rest week. Used double 24kg bells. Starting 1.1. Really enjoy the small amount of time it takes and how smoked I am during it. A question I had was in sets where you don't complete the full set.

e.g. Got to 5 reps in a set of 6 and had to put them down and rest a few seconds, then completed the last set.

Is this counted as a set? Should I continue with sets if I can't get a complete set in w/o putting them down or should I just be done for the session regardless of time remaining? I could obviously rest a bit more in between sets as well but this is my first go around in the Giant so still figuring it out a bit.
Use it as an indication that you are not resting enough between sets, counted or not, try to find the exact amount of time needed to perform 6 crystal clear reps, I would continue with the routine just resting more.

Congrats on finishing 1.0 and welcome to the fourm

@Eyetic is correct. Rest more. Having just finished 1.1, I'm going to make 2 other suggestions.

1. On rest days, walk or do yoga, don't do anything strenuous

2.Do 2.0 first. 6 is the light day of 1.1, 7's and 8 days are no joke. Doing 2.0, which is ladder style, provides you with early success of doing reps of 3-5, before hitting the 6-8 rep sets. You don't want your first set to be lousy on 8 day because mentally it's going to be a horrible. grind. On 2.0, you do the 4 set. a nice warmup, the 6 set, now you're getting loose, we've done these before, and then attack the 8 rep set.

There's no wrong way, I did 30 minutes with 2.0 and did more reps. When I did 1.1, I cut the workout to 20 minutes and it was always the 5th or 6th set where I missed the reps. Caught my breath and just banged out a couple of sets of 2-4 for volume if I had the time.

Doing heavy day of 1.2 tomorrow. If I get over 4 sets in 20 minutes, I'm going to be ecstatic.

Just my recommendation for whatever it's worth, @BrianCF Is spot on. Rest more between sets. If you're really using a true 10 RM to start out in the 1.0 then you'll find fatigue builds quite quickly!

I think too many get concerned with meeting or exceeding the numbers posted by other members.

If you're starting the program with a true 10 RM, fatigue will accumulate quickly.

Did day two week one of 1.1. Wrote it down wrong on day one and did sets of 7. Didn’t get the full sets towards the end. Had 8 sets including the broken up on ones.

Today did 7 again to get back on track and rested more in between sets. About 90 sec between each set. Got 9 full sets today. Rested about 2:30 before the last one though ha.

Did day two week one of 1.1. Wrote it down wrong on day one and did sets of 7. Didn’t get the full sets towards the end. Had 8 sets including the broken up on ones.

Today did 7 again to get back on track and rested more in between sets. About 90 sec between each set. Got 9 full sets today. Rested about 2:30 before the last one though ha.
Well, you certainly did better than I did! Short rests after 7s or 8s were really rough on my system!

Me too. I did the 9's day, did 4 sets in 16 and walked over to squeeze out more reps at the 19:20 mark. I did 4 reps and there wasn't going to be a 5th. Doing a set every 5ish minutes is still hard. I can't believe you did 10 sets of 10 in an hour.
It took a lot of focus and I can't do it now.....I may have given myself another challenge! I needed 5 minutes between sets......I was wiped out!

Hello!

I’ve just finished my W2D2 of 1.2 with 2x24kg Damn those sets of 9. I’ve done one more than last week. 5 in total in 25 minutes.
I’m trying the 20/25/30/25 format and I think it’s pretty appropriate. I wish I did try this on 1.1 already.

I really look forward to increasing the weights and going back to shorter sets, 2 more weeks to go !

Back
Top Bottom