all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

the monkey is your subconscious, which is impacted by your environment.

Another way to look at this is the following:

View attachment 15516

Hope this helps.
Absolute gold for me. I set The Giant down for a few months and dropped 30 lbs that really needed to go. Picked up a stressor or two and now @Geoff Neupert’s chart resonates very clearly. I’ve mostly A&A snatched but have also been doing a front squat/sprint, swing\sprint combo for time’s sake. Geoff’s monkey has been all over the place but has helped me deeply appreciate every session and to keep my gratitude higher than my expectations.

It's a gem.

I have been on an A+A romp for the past 6 weeks and it made me a bit stronger. I think I'm actually going to try another bout of the Giant with the 36's again.

It's a great program for fat loss (cut calories) or muscle gain (add calories)......and quite frankly both at once even though the experts on other strength forums say it doesn't happen. Geoff's programming is awesome and he runs circles around some of the "experts" out there!

@HUNTER1313,

Nay.

They're redundant.

Pick a complimentary exercise like the DFSQ.
I just had an aha moment driving home the other day in regards to your comment/suggestion. Swings really aren't needed since you essentially are doing so many cleans.. Especially if youre doing the single bell Giant. That's double the cleans. Thank you Geoff. Just took awhile to sink in.

So I got sick after finishing the third week of 1.0, and will have been sidelined for over 2 weeks when I am clear to resume training again. Should I just pick up where I left off, finish week 4 (and not expect great performance) and call it a cycle before moving on? Or would it be better to do a few more weeks to make sure that I'm ready for 1.1 or maybe a 3.0?

Thanks for your input!

So I got sick after finishing the third week of 1.0, and will have been sidelined for over 2 weeks when I am clear to resume training again. Should I just pick up where I left off, finish week 4 (and not expect great performance) and call it a cycle before moving on? Or would it be better to do a few more weeks to make sure that I'm ready for 1.1 or maybe a 3.0?

Thanks for your input!
Start over. Although it seems redundant, start again.

Just my 2 cents advice here......I would use the 1.0 again. I wouldn't jump to the 1.1 because the 1.0 builds up to the 1.1 and you haven't completed the 1.0 yet. No reason for the 3.0 as you already hit up the 1.0.

Hi all,
I have a question about my 4 rep max: could I start the Giant 3.0 or should I better follow Strong Phase 1 to get a little stronger first?
I do like a little more training volume, hence why I'm asking :)

Start over. Although it seems redundant, start again.

Just my 2 cents advice here......I would use the 1.0 again. I wouldn't jump to the 1.1 because the 1.0 builds up to the 1.1 and you haven't completed the 1.0 yet. No reason for the 3.0 as you already hit up the 1.0.
Thank you for your advice! The lack of a proper build up was my main concern. I'll do 1.0 again.

I meant the 3.0 as an option with heavier bells (2x24), my 5RM to turn them into something like a 8RM and then do 1.0 with them. But I suppose I'll ride the 2x20 for a while more with 1.0 again and 1.1 (and maybe beyond).

So today I started the Giant 1.0 with 32s. I recently tested the 36's and got 9 reps but they are not a "comfortable" 9 reps and at my age I do not desire the risk.

My 32s are still a comfortable 10 RM.....I define it as challenging but not "a once in a lifetime do or die" rep max. My goals are simple. When I did this program last year it made quite an impact on my overall fitness and physique so I decided to go for it and utilize the 20/25/30/25 template through all 3 phases and see where that takes me. I'd like to work up to the 10x10 again in the upcoming spring.

I started today. It's like coming home!

Hi all,
I have a question about my 4 rep max: could I start the Giant 3.0 or should I better follow Strong Phase 1 to get a little stronger first?
I do like a little more training volume, hence why I'm asking :)
Dries, just my 2 cents but Strong sounds like a better fit for a 4 RM. As someone who's done both programs, Strong is better suited for a not so "comfortable" 4RM whereas the 3.0 should be a "comfortable" 5 RM if ya know what I mean....

Just my opinion and I certainly could be wrong!

My training goal for the last several months has been to develop a 2x24kg 10RM C+P. I ran Giant 1.0-1.2 with 2x20kg recently and then did DFW with 2x24kg. Tested my RM today with 2x24kg and got seven reps.

Question: Should I do Giant 3.0 to work on getting my RM up a little (seems redundant to DFW) or jump straight into 1.0 even though I'm not in the 8-12RM recommended range? I can't imagine doing 6 rep sets, but who knows...

My training goal for the last several months has been to develop a 2x24kg 10RM C+P. I ran Giant 1.0-1.2 with 2x20kg recently and then did DFW with 2x24kg. Tested my RM today with 2x24kg and got seven reps.

Question: Should I do Giant 3.0 to work on getting my RM up a little (seems redundant to DFW) or jump straight into 1.0 even though I'm not in the 8-12RM recommended range? I can't imagine doing 6 rep sets, but who knows...
I'd run 3.0 again. There's never any harm running another cycle because it's auto regulated. If the bells are "too light" you'll just do more reps

It really is a trip going from the 24s and hitting 112 reps to the 28s topping out at around 80 reps. To now barely breaking 30 reps on my heaviest day with 32s I feel really strong though doing 3.0. I honestly feel great…I’ve typically been doing 60 swings (3 sets of 20) to finish whatever time I have left in my 30 minutes . Sometimes with 5 min to go I’ll feel I can’t clean or press with great form but I still want to get more work it so the swings fit nicely and don’t seem to detract from my next sessions.

After all the very helpful suggestions in my other Giant thread, I began today using Geoff's suggestion of 1.0 with 2x32kg using the CPP, dropping the bells into the rack. I don't know whether it was the rusty groove or something else but my muscular stamina died relatively quickly (my heart and lungs were fine). I only managed 4 complete sets of 5, and I actually failed the 5th rep of the 5th set. That was about halfway through my 30-minute session so I decided then and there to proceed with 3.0 instead, completing 3 sets of 2 in the remaining time.

Perhaps I should have rested longer between push presses (I was averaging around 3 minutes) but it didn't feel right to continue with sets of 5, especially knowing I'd have had 6s coming up in two days!

So overall it was a combination of thrilling and disappointing not to have completed a session the way I began but at least it confirms the way forward: 3.0 with the 32s for a round or two before hitting 1.0 with them.

On a more frustrating note, it felt like something was 'catching' underneath my left rear delt as I neared lock-out - no matter which rep in the set - so it wasn't fatigue. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

So today I started the Giant 1.0 with 32s. I recently tested the 36's and got 9 reps but they are not a "comfortable" 9 reps and at my age I do not desire the risk.

My 32s are still a comfortable 10 RM.....I define it as challenging but not "a once in a lifetime do or die" rep max. My goals are simple. When I did this program last year it made quite an impact on my overall fitness and physique so I decided to go for it and utilize the 20/25/30/25 template through all 3 phases and see where that takes me. I'd like to work up to the 10x10 again in the upcoming spring.

I started today. It's like coming home!
Do you have any more info on how you work up to the 10x10? Seems like a cool goal to have. Do you just run 1.2 and test doing 10x10 at the end of the cycle until it comes to fruition?

Back
Top Bottom