all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Today I concluded the fourth week of 3.0 with double 32s and I replaced the first half of the session with a rep max test. Very happy with the results!

My 5RM (admittedly fatigued after an 18-rep max test with double 24s) has turned into a 9RM. The last rep wasn’t hideous but it definitely took everything, and there’s no way I could I have done a 10th. That’s equal to the PR I managed after phase 1 of Strong! in 2020. There’s ‘muscle memory’ in there I know but to have achieved it in half the time is very pleasing.

While I was at it I thought I’d test my single 32 max. Again, I was fatigued from the double test but I got 7 on the left and 10 on the right (which had an extra 2 mins rest over the left). These are both lifetime PRs, and I was fresh last time I tested them years ago.

I ran it with 30-minute sessions and in week 4, I reduced the volume by 20% on week 3’s peak numbers.

Total weekly volume:
Week 1 = 84 (which included some sets of 5 push presses in my first session before deciding on 3.0 half way through, so would have been lower with strict presses from the start)
Week 2 = 96
Week 3 = 112
Week 4 = 90 (approx. 20% deload, and includes rep max tests)

Based on these results, I now have advice to ask for, please!

My ultimate goal is to strict press my 40 before my 40th birthday in August but I’d really like to milk the Giant first. As I see it, my options are:

1) 1.0 with double 32s, though this may be a little dicey on higher rep days. It’s probably my preference.

2) 1.0 with a single 32, as my goal centres on the single press. I feel I could delay the specificity until closer to the attempt but I do also feel my stability under the single could use some grooving.

3) 3.0 again with the double 32s to bring them up to a confident 10RM before 1.0.

4) 1.0 with CPP, at least on higher rep days or final reps within sets.

5) I have a 28 and a 36 coming this week so I’ve considered using the 28 and a 24 (with plates attached to bring it up to 28) and running 1.0 or 2.0.

6) Similar to the above but using the 28 and a 32 as an uneven pair for 1.0. I’ve never used uneven doubles though and I’m a little paranoid about my ‘touchy’ lower back.

7) 3.0 with the single 36 using CPP if necessary.

So many options, I realise; but I’m very glad to have them after a successful first shot at the Giant!

As an aside, body comp has remained very favourable, too. I’d just come off a long hypertrophy phase so I’m not sure I gained very much more muscle (especially using lower reps) but I retained every ounce of what I have. Only four weeks I know, but still.

Excited to keep running this wonderful, simple program! I love so many exercises, and the snatch nears the top, but I don’t think anything will ever steal my heart from the double clean-and-press.

EDIT: A couple of hours after I tested, I decided to have a shot at pressing the 40 on a whim. No luck on the left but it went up on the right!!! This was a total surprise and I credit my quick progress on it to the Giant. Unreal. Looks like my pressing goal timeline needs a little adjustment!
Just from experience I think you could most certainly start the 1.0 or 2.0. Those are some excellent results!

That's interesting! I thought the 2.0 was meant to be the last in the row (after 1.0; 1.1 and 1.2). Ladders with a rung of 8 on the heavy day with a 10 rep max seems pretty hard to me! ROP starts with ladders of 1,2,3 on a heavy day with a 5-8 rep max, which is way easier/ more doable than ladders to 8 reps with a 10 rep max I think.

When you did the 2.0, could you get the same daily training volume as when you were on the 1.0?
[/QUOTE

Doing the 2.0 at the end would certainly work but
I actually started the whole thing off with the 2.0. I figured the use of ladders would minimize fatigue and ease me into higher rep sets of the C+P.....at the time higher rep meant above 5...... It worked. I think it's also good way to go from the 1.0 to the 1.1 for the same reasons because the 1.0 has a heavy day of 6 and this becomes the light day in 1.1!

So many ways to get this done which I think is a fantastic feature of the program!

By the way @Dries S you are still a monster handling the 40 for the 1.1!!

Doing the 2.0 at the end would certainly work but
I actually started the whole thing off with the 2.0. I figured the use of ladders would minimize fatigue and ease me into higher rep sets of the C+P.....at the time higher rep meant above 5...... It worked. I think it's also good way to go from the 1.0 to the 1.1 for the same reasons because the 1.0 has a heavy day of 6 and this becomes the light day in 1.1!

So many ways to get this done which I think is a fantastic feature of the program!

By the way @Dries S you are still a monster handling the 40 for the 1.1!

That's interesting! I thought the 2.0 was meant to be the last in the row (after 1.0; 1.1 and 1.2). Ladders with a rung of 8 on the heavy day with a 10 rep max seems pretty hard to me! ROP starts with ladders of 1,2,3 on a heavy day with a 5-8 rep max, which is way easier/ more doable than ladders to 8 reps with a 10 rep max I think.

When you did the 2.0, could you get the same daily training volume as when you were on the 1.0?
It’s ‘harder’ than 1.0 but ‘easier‘ than 1.1 if you look at how many reps you do in 1.1 it’s like 2.0 but without the lower rep rungs.

I find I’m getting similar volume in 2.0 and using a harder variation of the C+P (pausing in rack and at top and an active negative) so think since I got stronger/used to the C+P in 1.0 it’s made it feel about as easy as 1.0 is despite using the harder press.

Glad I didn’t jump straight to 1.1, the high rep sets are hard enough to want a low rep rung after for me.

How do you do c&p?

Clean
Stop in rack position
Press
Stop with kbs overhead
Rack position - stop?
Reclean
Clean...

When you stoped move?

Congrats on the great progress you've made!
I'd start Giant 1.0 with the double 32's. I think it's doable with a (hard) 9 rep max. Maybe the transition to 1.1 will be a little harder, but you can always do the 1.0 for 2 runs.
After a single run through the 1.0 you will press the 40 for sure on both arms and maybe even for 2 reps!
Thank you @Dries S! I’m glad you’ve suggested that as I was hoping to go that way. Will see how it pans out, and as you say, I can always hit 1.0 a second time!

How do you do c&p?

Clean
Stop in rack position
Press
Stop with kbs overhead
Rack position - stop?
Reclean
Clean...

When you stoped move?
C&P = clean to rack, press to lockout, lower to rack, then reclean to the rack for the next rep. So it's one clean for every press, as opposed to a military press that is just one clean for the whole set.

I always pause at least momentarily in the rack and lockout positions. The rack and lockout are "rest" positions. They are still active positions that are fatiguing to hold for a long time, but they let you spread out the fatigue and give some of the main pressing muscles a little break within each rep.

Wow. That’s my target too. Would like to see how you progress !!! I have 18 more months to go!!!
Yeah I like the symmetry of the 40 by 40!

I got the right hand CP today as a total surprise but I still need the left, which I realise now shouldn’t be far away. I might need to adjust the goal to ‘functionally using the 40 in a pressing program by 40’ but it doesn’t have the same ring to it! As I’m now 79kg, perhaps I’ll keep dropping weight to increase the percentage of my BW. At least I have the SSST goal to work on in the same timeframe!

How far off the numbers are you for the 40 goal? Looks like the Giant might get you most or all of the way there!

C&P = clean to rack, press to lockout, lower to rack, then reclean to the rack for the next rep. So it's one clean for every press, as opposed to a military press that is just one clean for the whole set.

I always pause at least momentarily in the rack and lockout positions. The rack and lockout are "rest" positions. They are still active positions that are fatiguing to hold for a long time, but they let you spread out the fatigue and give some of the main pressing muscles a little break within each rep.

Yes, ok, I know, but I asked about moment when you do stop/rest.

I do one move up:
Clean
Press
Stop for moment
Reclean
Backswing
And go on.

Anybody stoped im rack position? When kbs go up or down?

Yes, ok, I know, but I asked about moment when you do stop/rest.

I do one move up:
Clean
Press
Stop for moment
Reclean
Backswing
And go on.

Anybody stoped im rack position? When kbs go up or down?
Yes, I clean, pause in rack, press, pause overhead, lower, pause in rack, reclean. At least I try to, sometimes I start to shorten the pauses when I start getting tired. But the goal is a short pause.

Yeah I like the symmetry of the 40 by 40!

I got the right hand CP today as a total surprise but I still need the left, which I realise now shouldn’t be far away. I might need to adjust the goal to ‘functionally using the 40 in a pressing program by 40’ but it doesn’t have the same ring to it! As I’m now 79kg, perhaps I’ll keep dropping weight to increase the percentage of my BW. At least I have the SSST goal to work on in the same timeframe!

How far off the numbers are you for the 40 goal? Looks like the Giant might get you most or all of the way there!
I’m at 90kg BW. Reducing that will be the focus early this year. So a bit more cardio into my workouts. As far as pressing strength is concerned my 1RM is 36kg KB. And this is my current base line. I will be running Victorious programming to push my 1RM up and then follow it up with Zoslt Derszie plan that tries to get 1RM from 32kg to 40kg. Do search for the post titled ‘The Big Bell Theory’ on StrongFirst for the plan.

Here’s what I have in mind for this year and hopefully end of this year I will press that 40kg MF’er.

1. KB Strong Phase 2 with double 28kg KBs. Phase 1 increased my 28kgs from 4RM to 8RM. Hopefully end of Phase 2 will improve my endurance and probably bring the 28s to a comfortable 10RM.
2. Run the Victorious 1 plan with the 28 and hopefully get my 32kg up to a 5-7RM. 32kg is my 3RM right now by.
3. Once I’m done with this I plan to run Giant 1.0 with the 28s
4. Typically I run Swing/Snatch programs in parallel. Need to improve the cardiovascular capacity this year. Along with a light jog on Day 7 as an active recovery day.

Sounds strenuous but I don’t get stressed out and when needed I listen to my body skip days.

Also my right shoulder rotator cuff has some issues that I will be consciously working to fix and restore strength. Right is my dominant side but I feel comfortable pressing on my left, I.e. the pressing timing, groove, and body alignment feels on point. Need to still build that feeling on my right side.

Apologies for the long post but I thought this was an opportunity to reflect and put the plan down on a page.

I’m at 90kg BW. Reducing that will be the focus early this year. So a bit more cardio into my workouts. As far as pressing strength is concerned my 1RM is 36kg KB. And this is my current base line. I will be running Victorious programming to push my 1RM up and then follow it up with Zoslt Derszie plan that tries to get 1RM from 32kg to 40kg. Do search for the post titled ‘The Big Bell Theory’ on StrongFirst for the plan.

Here’s what I have in mind for this year and hopefully end of this year I will press that 40kg MF’er.

1. KB Strong Phase 2 with double 28kg KBs. Phase 1 increased my 28kgs from 4RM to 8RM. Hopefully end of Phase 2 will improve my endurance and probably bring the 28s to a comfortable 10RM.
2. Run the Victorious 1 plan with the 28 and hopefully get my 32kg up to a 5-7RM. 32kg is my 3RM right now by.
3. Once I’m done with this I plan to run Giant 1.0 with the 28s
4. Typically I run Swing/Snatch programs in parallel. Need to improve the cardiovascular capacity this year. Along with a light jog on Day 7 as an active recovery day.

Sounds strenuous but I don’t get stressed out and when needed I listen to my body skip days.

Also my right shoulder rotator cuff has some issues that I will be consciously working to fix and restore strength. Right is my dominant side but I feel comfortable pressing on my left, I.e. the pressing timing, groove, and body alignment feels on point. Need to still build that feeling on my right side.

Apologies for the long post but I thought this was an opportunity to reflect and put the plan down on a page.
@mvikred Thanks for reminding me of that article by @Zsolt Derzsi
It's a good reminder to adopt different strategies at different stages of progression.
I also liked the recommendation to not run programmes back-to-back and take a couple of easy weeks in between.

My goal this year is to move from 1RM on 32 kg to 36 kg - but then I'm over 40 and I don't think pressing a 48 kg by my 48th birthday is a wholly realistic target for me :)

My current plan is to run blocks of Victorious, Double LCCJ, The Giant (Doubles), and Single LCCJ.

The question I still haven't decided is how long to run each block.

Good luck...!

The Giant with single kettlebell is more conditioning?
Better for fatloss ?

I know, fatloss make in the kitchen.
I think it's written that the doubles promotes more muscle, which in itself helps with body composition.
Conditioning perhaps as you may end up with more cleans per session albeit lower in mass.

5 reps right hand + 5 reps left hand will take more time than 5 reps with two kettlebells, and the work will be the same for each arm. The whole body works differently because clean is lighter.

What don you think @John Grahill ?
You wrote about it once.

Back
Top Bottom