all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

5 reps right hand + 5 reps left hand will take more time than 5 reps with two kettlebells, and the work will be the same for each arm. The whole body works differently because clean is lighter.

What don you think @John Grahill ?
You wrote about it once.
Well, I somewhat agree....double bells are more overall stimulation but that doesn't mean single bells won't be effective! They (singles) are generally longer overall time under tension and per individual arm higher weight...by this I mean if I'm doing double 24s, I'll be generally able to use a single 28 for single bell work.....

Double C&J (RMF) was beating me up too much, so I’m back to The Giant with single 20kg this coming week. I felt my best in a while doing 1.0, so “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Think I’ll go with the 2.0 ladders and then evaluate going to 1.2 with 20kg, or 3.0 with 24kg (or perhaps by then 24kg will be 10RM and I repeat from 1.0?).

Thank you @John Grahill.

What do you think about my plan:
Giant 1.0 2x20kg (currently last week)
Giant 1.0 1x24
And go to BIG BELL THEORY PLAN:

My 1RM = 32kg

My goal is 36kg. And 40.

Last year I did The Giant 1.0 with 2x24kg, but now I want to lightly move into single heavy kettlebell.

Thank you @John Grahill.

What do you think about my plan:
Giant 1.0 2x20kg (currently last week)
Giant 1.0 1x24
And go to BIG BELL THEORY PLAN:

My 1RM = 32kg

My goal is 36kg. And 40.

Last year I did The Giant 1.0 with 2x24kg, but now I want to lightly move into single heavy kettlebell.
I say try it! The volume from the Giant should make the Big Bell Plan go smoothly!

I think the single bell variation is good to help keep things interesting. I’ve been loving double kettlebell work for the past year or so, but switching to a single bell version has helped me keep things interesting. I believe both work the core, but single bell work really hits the stabilizer muscles in the core in a cross directional way (if that makes sense).

I think the single bell variation is good to help keep things interesting. I’ve been loving double kettlebell work for the past year or so, but switching to a single bell version has helped me keep things interesting. I believe both work the core, but single bell work really hits the stabilizer muscles in the core in a cross directional way (if that makes sense).

I would be interested to know if you feel it is a better fat burner.

I theorised it might be.

Yes, ok, I know, but I asked about moment when you do stop/rest.

I do one move up:
Clean
Press
Stop for moment
Reclean
Backswing
And go on.

Anybody stoped im rack position? When kbs go up or down?

Please have a look on YouTube at the StrongFirst standards for the SFG - you'll see how we clean and press. For one thing, if you don't take a brief pause in the rack position on the way up, the reps wouldn't count. The idea is to pause long enough that it counts as a pause, but not so long as to dissipate the tension you've created by the performance of the clean.

-S-

Hi guys,

I wanted to share my experience with the Giant 3.0 with you: I finished Giant 3.0 with my double 40kg kb's last Friday and tested today. I started 4 weeks ago with a 4 rep max and today I got 7 reps! The last one was a bit of a grind, but I take it :) !
After the test (also did two single reps as a warmup) I did my workout (Giant 3.0 round 2 with the 40's) but I did only 20 minutes today instead of the usual 30. I got 13 sets (of 2 reps) in, while 4 weeks ago I got 12 sets in 30 minutes!
Super stoked about the increased work capacity and my new PR :D!

Thanks for the awesome program @Geoff Neupert !

Hi guys,

I wanted to share my experience with the Giant 3.0 with you: I finished Giant 3.0 with my double 40kg kb's last Friday and tested today. I started 4 weeks ago with a 4 rep max and today I got 7 reps! The last one was a bit of a grind, but I take it :) !
After the test (also did two single reps as a warmup) I did my workout (Giant 3.0 round 2 with the 40's) but I did only 20 minutes today instead of the usual 30. I got 13 sets (of 2 reps) in, while 4 weeks ago I got 12 sets in 30 minutes!

That rocks dude!

So I started the 2.0 today to get reacquainted with the higher rep sets (above 6 at this point) using ladders. I'll hit up the 1.1 next. Day 1 in the 2.0 is lower volume day but I did not bump up the weights as I did doing the 1.0.......I kind of figured that I'm not smarter than Geoff and there's a reason for a weekly lighter volume/density day! I'm going to take advantage of it!

10 minute warm up and 20 minute session. Felt great!

Last edited:
People (including me) are often paranoid about a program that that doesn't include any dedicated leg work.

But I have to say, after a month of low rep heavy sets of the CP in 3.0 without any squatting, even if I've lost limit strength in my legs (which I actually doubt), my subjective experience is that my 'functional strength' has actually increased. I've always sailed up flights of stairs two steps at a time but I would argue that I'm now more explosive, smoother, and just plain faster.

Fresher CNS? Legs less fatigued? Explosive cleans? I'm really not sure; it's probably all of them. But I'll take it from the one stop shop!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

STRONG! work!

Hi guys,

I would love to be able to do this one day.

Alas I think it's a pipe dream.

However I will stay training as I would still be worse without it.

People (including me) are often paranoid about a program that that doesn't include any dedicated leg work.

But I have to say, after a month of low rep heavy sets of the CP in 3.0 without any squatting, even if I've lost limit strength in my legs (which I actually doubt), my subjective experience is that my 'functional strength' has actually increased. I've always sailed up flights of stairs two steps at a time but I would argue that I'm now more explosive, smoother, and just plain faster.

Fresher CNS? Legs less fatigued? Explosive cleans? I'm really not sure; it's probably all of them. But I'll take it from the one stop shop!

What bells are you using currently?

I mean multiple barbell power clean with 64KG for example would be a nice leg workout for most of the population IMHO so double 32KG bells would be similar plus I found the rooting of the press seemed to fire my legs up aswell.

There were days during the giant my whole body felt alight afterwards.

Hi guys,

I thought the same thing about not having any leg work in the program. Until I realized the clean and press is a full body movement when doing it properly. My quads and hamstrings have never felt stronger. And I test my squats (and pull ups sometimes) on Saturday’s, or rest weeks and I haven’t lost a thing.

What bells are you using currently?

I mean multiple barbell power clean with 64KG for example would be a nice leg workout for most of the population IMHO so double 32KG bells would be similar plus I found the rooting of the press seemed to fire my legs up aswell.

There were days during the giant my whole body felt alight afterwards.
I'm using 32s so it certainly makes sense. I think the concern people have is the really short range of motion for the legs in the clean, while ignoring the amount of tension generated dynamically in the clean and isometrically in the press.

I've no doubt that the quads won't be growing hyooge from the (relatively) heavy CP because they do require more dedicated work, but for strength and power, I'm not really seeing a downside!

Back
Top Bottom