all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Double C&J (RMF) was beating me up too much, so I’m back to The Giant with single 20kg this coming week. I felt my best in a while doing 1.0, so “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Think I’ll go with the 2.0 ladders and then evaluate going to 1.2 with 20kg, or 3.0 with 24kg (or perhaps by then 24kg will be 10RM and I repeat from 1.0?).
Could you say how it was beating you up ? Im curious, because I would like to Try out that program myself in the future.

Could you say how it was beating you up ? Im curious, because I would like to Try out that program myself in the future.
You have to keep excellent form every rep. In fatigue, my drive wouldn’t be as zippy, and the dip catch would be slow to get there. I learned that I may need more mobility work to handle high volume C&J. I work a desk job so I already have an uphill battle.

Has anyone tried @Geoff Neupert 's suggestion to progress by running Clean & Jerk 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 then Clean & Push Press with active negatives then finally Clean & Press with the same weights?
I thought it was a complete run through with the clean and press, followed by a complete run through with the clean and jerk/push press. Grinds then ballistics

I thought it was a complete run through with the clean and press, followed by a complete run through with the clean and jerk/push press. Grinds then ballistics
No, it was a suggestion for how to transition to weights that were too heavy to C&P. Run once with C&J or C&PP. Then C&PP with an active negative, then C&P. Use the ballistics to acclimate and build strength with the heavier weights until you can use a strict press with an active negative.

Last edited:
No, it was a suggestion for how to transition to weights that were too heavy to C&P. Run once with C&J or C&PP. Then C&PP with an active negative, then C&P. Use the ballistics to acclimate and build strength with the heavier weight until you can use a strict press with an active negative.
I haven’t but I recall @Dayz having success with push pressing for a cycle then moving to pressing.

The Giant 1.0 completed,

KB 2x20kg

Time: .................20/25/30/25 min.
Day 1 (5reps): 55/75/85/85 reps
Day 2 (6reps): 48/66/84/78 reps
Day 3 (4reps): 60/80/108/92 reps

I did more reps on week 4 than 2 (the same time 25min).
This is progress

Just completed day 1 of 1.0 with the 32s.

I’ve changed my training schedule for 1.0 to place heavy day on a Sunday when I’m well rested and can train after food rather than fasted at 6.30am. Also means day 1 falls on a Friday when I typically eat a little more and have a beer after work.

My goodness. It’s quite a shock going from 3.0 to using that (very tough) 9RM for sets of 5. I only managed 6 sets and called it at 24 minutes because I knew I couldn’t complete another set.

I’ll stick to the plan and hope it all gets easier from here. Can’t quite fathom sets of 6 in two days!

No, it was a suggestion for how to transition to weights that were too heavy to C&P. Run once with C&J or C&PP. Then C&PP with an active negative, then C&P. Use the ballistics to acclimate and build strength with the heavier weights until you can use a strict press with an active negative.
I additionally think that when Geoff was talking about grinds then ballistics he meant going through with clean and presses and then going through the series again using ballistics and a heavier set of bells......in other words if you go through the Giant with double 24s using g the clean and press, follow it up with using the 32s fir clean and jerks??? I thought this is how he meant it but I could certainly be off base!

Just completed day 1 of 1.0 with the 32s.

I’ve changed my training schedule for 1.0 to place heavy day on a Sunday when I’m well rested and can train after food rather than fasted at 6.30am. Also means day 1 falls on a Friday when I typically eat a little more and have a beer after work.

My goodness. It’s quite a shock going from 3.0 to using that (very tough) 9RM for sets of 5. I only managed 6 sets and called it at 24 minutes because I knew I couldn’t complete another set.

I’ll stick to the plan and hope it all gets easier from here. Can’t quite fathom sets of 6 in two days!
You did fine....you're using a very challenging set of bells! That mirrors my experiences last winter when I used a 9RM!

Thanks John! Seeing your previous experiences using heavier (for you) bells is helping my optimism!
No problem. Remember work output/volume is an individual thing. I burn out quickly, it's how I'm made. I often need a touch more recovery between heavy sets....it's ok though, it's an individual thing. There's no way I can match some of the rep outputs some here have achieved but I can improve upon what I've done!

You burned out at 24 minutes.....may I humbly suggest the 20/25/30/25 session length template?

Week one being 20 minute sessions, week two 25 minute sessions,etc. I've found using a good solid pace each workout for the first three weeks and turning up the density in week 4 is effective. In my mind it's less daunting. I burned out a bit keeping thirty minute sessions for the first three weeks...in my mind I kept pushing too much each workout. This way I find that the volume naturally increases, even if it's just slightly each week because of the increase in time per workout per week. Then turn up week 4s density.

No problem. Remember work output/volume is an individual thing. I burn out quickly, it's how I'm made. I often need a touch more recovery between heavy sets....it's ok though, it's an individual thing. There's no way I can match some of the rep outputs some here have achieved but I can improve upon what I've done!

You burned out at 24 minutes.....may I humbly suggest the 20/25/30/25 session length template?

Week one being 20 minute sessions, week two 25 minute sessions,etc. I've found using a good solid pace each workout for the first three weeks and turning up the density in week 4 is effective. In my mind it's less daunting. I burned out a bit keeping thirty minute sessions for the first three weeks...in my mind I kept pushing too much each workout. This way I find that the volume naturally increases, even if it's just slightly each week because of the increase in time per workout per week. Then turn up week 4s density.

Another option I used is a dice roll to dictate time.

Another option I used is a dice roll to dictate time.
This thought occurred to me during my last run through The Giant. One idea (that I never tried) was to say 1 or 2 is 20 minutes, 3 or 4 is 25 minutes, and 5 or 6 is 30 minutes; never do the same duration twice consecutively.

How did you assign times to the sides of the die?

This thought occurred to me during my last run through The Giant. One idea (that I never tried) was to say 1 or 2 is 20 minutes, 3 or 4 is 25 minutes, and 5 or 6 is 30 minutes; never do the same duration twice consecutively.

How did you assign times to the sides of the die?

I set up a 10 sided dice on my phone & assigned 21 through to 30 minutes.

However the 5 min jumps may be better.....

Giant related, but not kettlebell question. I was thinking why not use the Giant programming for mace 360's? It could be argued not enough reps, but if you do left hand on top immediately followed by right hand on top your reps will be higher. I was thinking just do it s&s style, but the Giant would offer more programming and variability.

Giant related, but not kettlebell question. I was thinking why not use the Giant programming for mace 360's? It could be argued not enough reps, but if you do left hand on top immediately followed by right hand on top your reps will be higher. I was thinking just do it s&s style, but the Giant would offer more programming and variability.
Why not....I used Strong with two dumbbells instead of two kettlebells and got great results.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I just started the "Giant 1" with doubles. What does 10RM mean for this specific program? Did you all use your 10 rep max as in a pair of bells that you can PRESS only 10 times? Or that you can C+P (since this is a C+P program) only 10 times?

Back
Top Bottom