Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

@jhpowers -

I think Mark's is a great strategy.

One I typically recommend is the following:

Week 1: Easy/Moderate
Week 2: Moderate/Hard
Week 3: Hard/Very Hard/Max Effort
Week 4: De-load.
Week 5-8: (Another GIANT) - Repeat Cycle.
Week 9: Re-Test RM

There are many variations. But I think this is a good one that works for many.

Hope that helps.
Hi,
I am also enjoying this program!
Could you expand on what a Re-Test RM week looks like? So week 8 was a deload week,
1. on what day the following week would you re-test?
2. Would I be doing any other workouts that week?
3. any recommendation for the warmup for the retest set itself ?
Thanks,
Brian

Has anyone else had forearm tenderness as you move up in weight? As I’ve been running the Giant since last spring I’ve began having some pain and tenderness in my left forearm. No it’s not from banging the clean, the pain comes as I go to press the bell up, especially the 36 kg just the weight on my arm is starting to cause me some pain. I might just need to take a pause from the Giant soon. I have been trying some wrist bands and they do help somewhat.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had forearm tenderness as you move up in weight? As I’ve been running the Giant since last spring I’ve began having some pain and tenderness in my left forearm. No it’s not from banging the clean, the pain comes as I go to press the bell up, especially the 36 kg just the weight on my arm is starting to cause me some pain. I might just need to take a pause from the Giant soon. I have been trying some wrist bands and they do help somewhat.
I have had this problem when I bumped up to double 28s. I can feel this on my left forearm. But over time, it went away ! Also I realised that my grip was a bit light on the left side, which was causing the bell to hit my forearm on some reps, so I tightened it and I saw the pain go away.

So, I'm running Giant 3.0 in 28's and started to read this thread at the same time. So tomorrow is going to be week 3 day 1 and I'm at page 64/103. So, my guess is that when I finish 1.2, I will have read everything.

Last November I did the SFG 2 and failed the 1/2 bodyweight press and I'm working on the Giant to get my strength up. Goal at this moment is to finish 3.0 and retest:
- if I can do 32's for 5, I will do 3.0 again.
- if not, I will try to see if the 28's are a 10 RM and start with 1.0
- if not #2, I will do a Giant with a single Bell maybe.

Anyone else has a different take on this?

Edit: So far
Week 1: 40 reps, 42, 43
Week 2: 44, 45, 47

So, I'm running Giant 3.0 in 28's and started to read this thread at the same time. So tomorrow is going to be week 3 day 1 and I'm at page 64/103. So, my guess is that when I finish 1.2, I will have read everything.

Last November I did the SFG 2 and failed the 1/2 bodyweight press and I'm working on the Giant to get my strength up. Goal at this moment is to finish 3.0 and retest:
- if I can do 32's for 5, I will do 3.0 again.
- if not, I will try to see if the 28's are a 10 RM and start with 1.0
- if not #2, I will do a Giant with a single Bell maybe.

Anyone else has a different take on this?

Edit: So far
Week 1: 40 reps, 42, 43
Week 2: 44, 45, 47
I've recently had good results rotating through high rep blocks and low rep blocks. If you've been banging your head against heavy weight/low reps for a while, taking a break and doing some high reps and getting good at that volume can be a great new stimulus. I spent years training sets with low reps; taking a break and doing sets of 8-12 saw some easy PRs for me.

Hello I ran the GIANT 1.0, 1.1 a while ago and had great results, used double 24s..

Thinking about running blocks of the GIANT through the year.. my "Q" is has anyone ran any of the programs with uneven bells? Say a 24/32?

I can strict press my 40kg for a couple of reps and the double 24s are no longer a 10rm bell and I dont own double 32s "yet" but will do..

So pondering over the best route. Throw the 24s around and maybe push the total work done dial up a notch, use offset weights, or benefit more from going double 32s

Imagine they all have pros but thought it was one worth a post

Hello I ran the GIANT 1.0, 1.1 a while ago and had great results, used double 24s..

Thinking about running blocks of the GIANT through the year.. my "Q" is has anyone ran any of the programs with uneven bells? Say a 24/32?
Can’t remember seeing any do it with 8kg difference bells but will be interesting to hear if they have.

Another idea could be single bell Giant with the 32 until the other 32 arrives. Or, if you’re not already, then deliberately slow (pause in rack, pause overhead and super slow negative press) reps with the double 24s could also be an option.

Can’t remember seeing any do it with 8kg difference bells but will be interesting to hear if they have.

Another idea could be single bell Giant with the 32 until the other 32 arrives. Or, if you’re not already, then deliberately slow (pause in rack, pause overhead and super slow negative press) reps with the double 24s could also be an option.
Great idea, didnt think about that idea with the 24s, thank you

Today I finished my 2º run of the giant 1.1. the first one I felt like it got interrupted too much because of minor illness so I decided to restart 1.1 from scratch. the first time I went for 30min per day, this time took it more a la "timeless" approach. went for number of sets, tried to do 7-10 sets, depending on how I was feeling. on the rests between sets tried to do some house stuff but not much, overall the sessions didn't went over 45min
From the last 1.1 I tried to focus on the technique and get better. Noticed some things I wasn't doing as well as I should (like the clean low pull), also tried to pause for a second between the clean and the press, felt like I was rushing and starting the press while the clean part wasn't finished and the ball was still moving.

Right now my shoulders are achy, I feel like I have to lower the C&P volume for a while, but don't stop. Maybe going for a set number of sets was too much lol
Maybe do something from the app, like moving target double KB complex or the powertrain for a few weeks (advice appreciated), and then start the giant 1.2 just to complete the program.
Today I did 300 swings, just because I've been seeing Dan John doing his 10000 challenge but I've never attempted to do more than 150 swings before. Last week did 200 with a 24kg, today 300 mixing 24kg and 16kg. I feel like I need more endurance right now

I can strict press my 40kg for a couple of reps and the double 24s are no longer a 10rm bell and I dont own double 32s "yet" but will do..

So pondering over the best route. Throw the 24s around and maybe push the total work done dial up a notch, use offset weights, or benefit more from going double 32s

Why not run the 32 you have as a single?

Used 6Kg difference in KB Size, but not more then this. In my mind it´s a great way to trigger stabilty. Used it a lot for Armor Building Complex. Switched sides every round to get sure to have both sides worked gradualy. Today i use assimetrical load for assitance work. For exemple Heavy Bell in rack positioen and the ligther for the Press on the other side. Then rest and repeat it vice versa.

So, just finished my week #3 of the 3.0 with double 28's

W1: 40-42-43
W2: 44-45-47
W3: 50-54-60

Biggest game changer:
- the first day 3 was hard! At round 15/43 I was questioning my life, universe and everything. Now with 60, I think I could have passed the talk test up to round 50, and was able to nose breath only the whole time.

I cheated a little, not using autoregulation, but thought of a goal rep, set a interval timer and paced it out evenly. Never ever did a 'MetCon' and RPE wise: week 1 was about a 6, week 2 a 7, week 3 an 8.

Going to test on day 1 cycle #2 and determine if I go on with 1.0 with 28's or 3.0 again with 32's.

Last edited:
So, just finished my week #3 of the 3.0 with double 28's

W1: 40-42-43
W2: 44-45-47
W3: 50-54-60

Biggest game changer:
- the first day 3 was hard! At round 15/43 I was questioning my life, universe and everything. Now with 60, I think I could have passed the talk test up to round 50, and was able to nose breath only the whole time.

I cheated a little, not using autoregulation, but thought of a goal rep, set a interval timer and paced it out evenly. Never ever did a 'MetCon' and RPE wise: week 1 was about a 6, week 2 a 7, week 3 an 8.

Going to test on day 1 cycle #2 and determine if I go on with 1.0 with 28's or 3.0 again with 32's.
Great effort man! Were 28s your 5RM?

Great effort man! Were 28s your 5RM?

Tested 6 doubles, but the 6th rep my left lacked a little. 7th wasn't possible at that moment.

But I did start Strong beginning of '21 with 32's and came up to 10x3; but couldn't make the transition from unlimited rest to 2 min rest. And then injured my shoulder in preparation for the SFG2 and couldn't press heavier then 24 for months... So hopefully this will get me beyond and toward the 40!

Tested 6 doubles, but the 6th rep my left lacked a little. 7th wasn't possible at that moment.

But I did start Strong beginning of '21 with 32's and came up to 10x3; but couldn't make the transition from unlimited rest to 2 min rest. And then injured my shoulder in preparation for the SFG2 and couldn't press heavier then 24 for months... So hopefully this will get me beyond and toward the 40!
@Tjerr what you described with your "Strong" journey happened to me when I used the 40s. Phase 1 is great but limiting recovery between sets in phase 2 derails me! ...... maybe phase 2 with more autoregulation in my future...hmmm

@Tjerr what you described with your "Strong" journey happened to me when I used the 40s. Phase 1 is great but limiting recovery between sets in phase 2 derails me! ...... maybe phase 2 with more autoregulation in my future...hmmm

I thought about doing it again and do phase 1; phase 3-ish with building up density (with the 10x 3), phase 2 slow and steady, phase 3 again.

Back
Top Bottom