all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

As for me, I’m still struggling with a sore rib and can’t tolerate cleans at the moment. I can, however, do ring pushups and double snatches. Given this I figured I’d try using the periodisation of giant 1.0 for the ring push-ups and throw in some EMOM snatches afterwards. Hopefully I can at least maintain the pressing strength I got out of Giant 3.0 with the snatches helping to work/increase my hip drive and conditioning.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this experiment goes, but not as much as getting back to the Giant proper.

Cheers

Ben

I just finished my first go at the Giant 3.0, or any of the Giants for that matter. Can’t believe how well it went. 73 reps 2x20kg the first week, increasing to 125 the last week. Super happy for a first effort, and I just started C&P in January.

Celebrating with a huge bowl of oats and golden syrup and hard boiled eggs. It’s not Plantation rum, but it’s 11:30am here and I’m working tonight, it’ll have to do!.

Going to have a 2 week getupalooza as a break and decide between 1.0, or Strong with my 24’s

I just finished my first go at the Giant 3.0, or any of the Giants for that matter. Can’t believe how well it went. 73 reps 2x20kg the first week, increasing to 125 the last week. Super happy for a first effort, and I just started C&P in January.

Celebrating with a huge bowl of oats and golden syrup and hard boiled eggs. It’s not Plantation rum, but it’s 11:30am here and I’m working tonight, it’ll have to do!.

Going to have a 2 week getupalooza as a break and decide between 1.0, or Strong with my 24’s
One mistake I always re-make is not resting enough during the rest periods. Take 3-4 days of rest your body will thank you. You want to start your next session of the Giant fresh.

Great Job and awesome progress! You’ll be throwing up double 24s in no time.

Hi guys, I bought the Giant and Strong and I haven't really started the programs yet, just done some casual sets-of-3 for 25 mins workouts, and I can already tell this is the program for me. I've been messing around with KBs for several years, but never had any goal oriented training.

I'm wondering how you macro-plan in this program. Let's say I can get 1.0 with the 20's currently, and my long term goal is to do that with the 32's, over say a year or so (longer is fine too). After running 1.0-1.2 with the 20s, would I be able to jump into 3.0 with the 24s? Or should I switch to the strength block from Strong (I'm assuming the hypertrophy/conditioning block in strong is not necessary with the giant 1.x's)? Or mix in RoP?

I see some people saying 3.1, 3.2, I assume they just added +1 and +2 reps to all of the sets in 3.0 to bridge the gap between that and 1.0? That makes sense. So can you just go 3.0 3.1 3.2 1.0 1.1 1.2 with each set of bells? That would be pretty sweet.

Would there be any deficiencies or injury risk to running this program for a long period of time? Currently I have very strong legs and posterior chain, very weak upper body. I am hoping to balance that out a little bit. I probably have a lot of newbie gain potential.

The only thing that I would want to add to the program is a very minimalistic mobility routine, any suggestions there? I am thinking just the S&S warmup for now.

I'm wondering how you macro-plan in this program. Let's say I can get 1.0 with the 20's currently, and my long term goal is to do that with the 32's, over say a year or so (longer is fine too). After running 1.0-1.2 with the 20s, would I be able to jump into 3.0 with the 24s? Or should I switch to the strength block from Strong (I'm assuming the hypertrophy/conditioning block in strong is not necessary with the giant 1.x's)? Or mix in RoP?
I think this will vary by individual and even for each individual at different times. I don't think there should be any specific expectation of "if I finished x, I should be able to do y." The programs are based on roughly either a 5RM or 10RM, but even within those guidelines you might want to bell up or down depending on individual circumstances. Also, since the Giant programs are autoregulated, there may be a big range in volume from one person to another or for an individual running a program multiple times (and you certainly can milk the same Giant program for multiple 4 week runs).

So I wouldn't look too far ahead, and just decide how to proceed as you complete each stage or variation.
I see some people saying 3.1, 3.2, I assume they just added +1 and +2 reps to all of the sets in 3.0 to bridge the gap between that and 1.0? That makes sense.
Correct.
Would there be any deficiencies or injury risk to running this program for a long period of time?
Not really, especially if you manage your autoregulation sensibly. I like to incorporate some movement variety in my practice, but you can still make the C&P the focus of your progressive training and supplement it with other stuff in a more relaxed and free form way. For instance, I've made some sort of 3x/week C&P program the focus of my training for the past 8 months. But I regularly throw in some double front squats, snatches, pullups, and heavy club swinging around it, as well as a variety of mobility/OS type stuff. But the C&P sessions are what gets done no matter what, and what follows a specifically planned program.

Thanks! This is a big help.

Is my 5RM or 10RM meaning on the clean and press, or on the press? In the Giant PDF, it doesn't really specify. I'd assume it's the C&P, but then in DFW he says 5RM on the press. I think I can get a lot more reps C&P than I can just pressing with a given set of bells.

Thanks! This is a big help.

Is my 5RM or 10RM meaning on the clean and press, or on the press? In the Giant PDF, it doesn't really specify. I'd assume it's the C&P, but then in DFW he says 5RM on the press. I think I can get a lot more reps C&P than I can just pressing with a given set of bells.
It's a C&P programme. The RM stated is for the C&P.

I wouldn’t stress too much now, once you’re running the program you’ll know what’s best for you with trial and error. I think running the DFW rep ranges on just C&P could be a good bridge from 3.0 to 1.0 or you could use or you could run 3.0 multiple times and keep shooting for set PRs and improve to 1.0 that way, once you’re running the program you’ll see how you best respond.

I’m six weeks deep on Giant and loving it, I’m base building running at the same time and this is the healthiest I’ve felt in ages. I just bought the next size up in KB so unless life gets in the way I’m going to be running Giant completely on two bells in a row.

I started the giant almost exactly a year ago and I never thought I would run it for nearly an entire year but I think it’s time for a change… I went to start the giant 2.0 this week on Monday with the double twenty- eights and I felt strong got almost 70 reps but after I felt like crap lol. Low back sore, might have slightly tweeked something. Nothing major but I decided to take a few days off of kettlebells and just did some push ups, pull ups and mace work. Then I opened up my email and saw very convincing email from Geoff Touting the benefits of the king size killer. So I went ahead and bought a Kettlebell Xpress and plan to start king-size killer sometime in the next few weeks after I allow my body to get 100%. I feel like I was just worn out from all the heavy double kettle bell work. I’m sure I’ll come back to the giant at some point maybe after I run a king size killer for a few months and try to strip a little more fat off for summer lol.

Hi guys, I bought the Giant and Strong and I haven't really started the programs yet, just done some casual sets-of-3 for 25 mins workouts, and I can already tell this is the program for me. I've been messing around with KBs for several years, but never had any goal oriented training.

I see some people saying 3.1, 3.2, I assume they just added +1 and +2 reps to all of the sets in 3.0 to bridge the gap between that and 1.0? That makes sense. So can you just go 3.0 3.1 3.2 1.0 1.1 1.2 with each set of bells? That would be pretty sweet.

Would there be any deficiencies or injury risk to running this program for a long period of time? Currently I have very strong legs and posterior chain, very weak upper body. I am hoping to balance that out a little bit. I probably have a lot of newbie gain potential.

The only thing that I would want to add to the program is a very minimalistic mobility routine, any suggestions there? I am thinking just the S&S warmup for now.
I just finished 3.0, first time trying any of the Giant series. I had only just barely learnt C&P and I loved it. I have strong as well, though I have a small niggle in my weak shoulder, so I’m going to do Strong phase 1 with double kb front squats while I correct my weaker shoulder. I think for me, the minimalist approach of both Giant and Strong work great for me, and I could quite happily spend the next few years going between both.

I did my S&S warm up for giant and if I had time during the week, I’d do some getups, because I think they’re awesome

Does KSK have a dbl kb front squat component? Between C&P and front squat, all my needs are met I think
No, King Sized Killer is 100% snatch. Based on his email it wouldn’t be a stretch to do an wk 1 A-B-A wk 2 B-A-B and do C&P on A days a la giant and on B days do A FS block.

No, King Sized Killer is 100% snatch. Based on his email it wouldn’t be a stretch to do an wk 1 A-B-A wk 2 B-A-B and do C&P on A days a la giant and on B days do A FS block.
But he does refer in the email to one client doing snatches then presses, and then double front squat in a separate session.

Back
Top Bottom