all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

I started the giant almost exactly a year ago and I never thought I would run it for nearly an entire year but I think it’s time for a change… I went to start the giant 2.0 this week on Monday with the double twenty- eights and I felt strong got almost 70 reps but after I felt like crap lol. Low back sore, might have slightly tweeked something. Nothing major but I decided to take a few days off of kettlebells and just did some push ups, pull ups and mace work. Then I opened up my email and saw very convincing email from Geoff Touting the benefits of the king size killer. So I went ahead and bought a Kettlebell Xpress and plan to start king-size killer sometime in the next few weeks after I allow my body to get 100%. I feel like I was just worn out from all the heavy double kettle bell work. I’m sure I’ll come back to the giant at some point maybe after I run a king size killer for a few months and try to strip a little more fat off for summer lol.
During my past 8 months of consistently focusing on a 3x/week C&P program, I've also rotated in sessions of snatches and double cleans (A+A, Q&D 044, and Q&D 015), but I've been neglecting the standalone ballistics lately. Last weekend I did a snatch session for the first time in a few weeks and it felt really good. I'm going to continue with the C&P, put keep the snatch as a consistent supplement, even if it's not at a high volume.

One thing that I think has helped me with doing C&P long term is that I've cycled through different programs (DFW, Giant 1.0 and 3.0, and a Plan Strong based 5TRM program from an article here), and I've gone back and forth (but not strictly alternating) between double and single bell phases. I also tend to do a lot less volume on The Giant than a lot of people report, and that's even with doing a lot of my Giant days timeless, doing sets or groups of sets during breaks throughout my work day.

Last edited:
Does KSK have a dbl kb front squat component? Between C&P and front squat, all my needs are met I think
I've toyed around with the idea to run the giant and after every 3 sets of C&P 1 set of front squats. This because alternating every set between C&P and Squat was really killing on my legs and you miss a lot of volume on the C&P. This way I would still get 3 or 4 sets of squats and not miss a lot of volume on the C&P.
But truth be told: It has only been an idea, I have not yet tried it for myself.

As for me, I’m still struggling with a sore rib and can’t tolerate cleans at the moment. I can, however, do ring pushups and double snatches. Given this I figured I’d try using the periodisation of giant 1.0 for the ring push-ups and throw in some EMOM snatches afterwards. Hopefully I can at least maintain the pressing strength I got out of Giant 3.0 with the snatches helping to work/increase my hip drive and conditioning.

I’m looking forward to seeing how this experiment goes, but not as much as getting back to the Giant proper.

Cheers

Ben
Heal fast.

I don't think you have to get too tricky with front squat programming alongside any of The Giant variations. I just plug in 2 or 3 sets of 5, or sets of 3,5,7 before or after a C&P session or on an in-between day.
I was thinking more of focusing solely on one for a block, then switching over to focusing on the other. I have C&P sorted with giant and strong but was looking for a front squat focused program.

I was thinking more of focusing solely on one for a block, then switching over to focusing on the other. I have C&P sorted with giant and strong but was looking for a front squat focused program.
You can use 'THE GIANT' with the DFSQ . I'm pretty sure @Reardon55 did this for a couple of blocks.

Search this thread or the other 'GIANT' thread for his results. Or maybe he'll chime back in here.

You can use 'THE GIANT' with the DFSQ . I'm pretty sure @Reardon55 did this for a couple of blocks.

Search this thread or the other 'GIANT' thread for his results. Or maybe he'll chime back in here.
That makes things easy! I was leaning towards strong because I think doing giant 3.0, I ended up racing/focusing on beating last weeks reps. Probably not a big problem for someone with experience, though I’m fairly new to C&P, and for the first few weeks, it was good practice but I think I got more focused on rep count towards the end, hence the ( very minor ) shoulder issue.

I guess the beauty of front squats is you can’t really get sloppy with form, you just fall forward and dump the weights, and I’m pretty sure I’ll gas out before then anyway. 3.0 x 2x16’s it is. I have double 20’s and 24’s, but it’s been a fair while since I’ve squatted in any form, and I’m not silly. There’ll be lots of light bottoms up pressing to get my shoulder back to 100%.

That makes things easy! I was leaning towards strong because I think doing giant 3.0, I ended up racing/focusing on beating last weeks reps. Probably not a big problem for someone with experience, though I’m fairly new to C&P, and for the first few weeks, it was good practice but I think I got more focused on rep count towards the end, hence the ( very minor ) shoulder issue.

I guess the beauty of front squats is you can’t really get sloppy with form, you just fall forward and dump the weights, and I’m pretty sure I’ll gas out before then anyway. 3.0 x 2x16’s it is. I have double 20’s and 24’s, but it’s been a fair while since I’ve squatted in any form, and I’m not silly. There’ll be lots of light bottoms up pressing to get my shoulder back to 100%.
I had this issue as well. I found it helpful to add the numbers up after the 4 weeks rather than after every session. This way you don't really know what number to beat. That was pretty liberating for me.

This is precisely why I really enjoyed the 20/25/30/25 minute time template.....pick a good pace that's challenging yet sustainable and each week for three weeks your reps will increase due to the added five minutes. Then go for density in week 4.

I have finished the next step, giant 1.1 with the following results:
I used the 20/25/30/25 split

weekrepsreps per minute
Additionally i did some liss (rowing, swimming, rucking) and some deadlift cluster. (Up to 8 Cluster of 5 reps wiht 110kg/80% per week)
The numbers show again clear progress similar to 1.0 and i hope 1.2 will go on the same way.
Wow thats a great Progression....realy fastforward.

Had a spare day today before starting 1.0 again on Monday.

I've just done 3.0 and the first 3 weeks of 1.0 with 2x16kg bells so thought I'd test myself on the 24kg bells.

Bearing in mind that when I started the Giant 8 weeks ago I could barely clean these bells, at least not with any semblance of form at all. I set the timer for 10 minutes and was over the moon to manage 3 sets of 2 clean and presses with what I'd describe as ok form. The presses actually felt slow but pretty solid and stronger than the cleans. So I finished off with a few more sets of 2 cleans.

I think this is a real testament to how good this program is. In the first 4 weeks of the Giant I went from a shaky 8 with the 16s to a strong 12 with 3.0 (and I'll retest when I complete 1.0) and 7 weeks has taken me from barely being able to handle 24s at all to managing multiple sets of 2.

Starting to feel like 3.0 with the 24s will be imminently doable once I've spent the next 12 weeks doing 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2. Covid left me absolutely wrecked in December but the Giant is helping me recover. Thanks Geoff. And it's great reading about other people's progress in this thread too so thanks to all the contributers.

Had a spare day today before starting 1.0 again on Monday.

I've just done 3.0 and the first 3 weeks of 1.0 with 2x16kg bells so thought I'd test myself on the 24kg bells.

Bearing in mind that when I started the Giant 8 weeks ago I could barely clean these bells, at least not with any semblance of form at all. I set the timer for 10 minutes and was over the moon to manage 3 sets of 2 clean and presses with what I'd describe as ok form. The presses actually felt slow but pretty solid and stronger than the cleans. So I finished off with a few more sets of 2 cleans.

I think this is a real testament to how good this program is. In the first 4 weeks of the Giant I went from a shaky 8 with the 16s to a strong 12 with 3.0 (and I'll retest when I complete 1.0) and 7 weeks has taken me from barely being able to handle 24s at all to managing multiple sets of 2.

Starting to feel like 3.0 with the 24s will be imminently doable once I've spent the next 12 weeks doing 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2. Covid left me absolutely wrecked in December but the Giant is helping me recover. Thanks Geoff. And it's great reading about other people's progress in this thread too so thanks to all the contributers.
Excellent work, @Scrumdog!

I just glanced over Dry Fighting Weight and was wondering why you couldn't run Giant the same way. Alternate back and forth with the two exercises. Using the Giant programming. Yes you wouldn't be getting the same volume as you would just doing c&p, but you'd still be getting enough and training the squat too. You could even have a heavier set of bells lined up for your squats if they are heavier than your presses.

I just glanced over Dry Fighting Weight and was wondering why you couldn't run Giant the same way. Alternate back and forth with the two exercises. Using the Giant programming. Yes you wouldn't be getting the same volume as you would just doing c&p, but you'd still be getting enough and training the squat too. You could even have a heavier set of bells lined up for your squats if they are heavier than your presses.
In one of the KB Express books Geoff lays out ideas for double kettlebell superset combos, very similar to what you describe.

I'm in week 4 of The Giant 1.0 (deloading week)
I really enjoy the program so far. Arm definition has noticeably increased (deltoids and triceps) and back definition a bit too.

24 kg bells were slightly beyond my 10 rep max, and 16s were too light. 20 would have been perfect, but alas... I don't have them.
I ran with the 16s
Week 3 program went
Day 1 - 17 sets of 5 - double C&P 16 kg KBs (85 total reps) - 30 minutes
Day 2 - 14 sets of 6 - double C&P 16 kg KBs (84 total reps) - 30 minutes
Day 3 - 20 sets of 4 - double C&P 16 kg KBs (80 total reps) - 30 minutes

Week 4 I am doing 2/3 the sets of week 3 in 20 minutes

After week 4 I am going to re-test with the 24s. If the 24s are in my 10 rep max, I'll re-run 1.0 with 24s.
If not, I may do 3.0 with the 24s and then start 1.0 with the 24s after 3.0 is completed.

I'd be happy for any pointers if anyone has any. 30 minutes is what I can comfortably squeeze into my schedule and I am looking forward to months more of The Giant.

As the program is auto regulated, do you need to deload for week 4? I have just been going by feel and it’s typically been week 3 where my reps dip and then surge back for week 4 (small sample size tho).
That's an interesting idea and I know I felt the same about week 3 in both cycles I've done. I worked to the 20-25-30-25 time limits on each week but wonder if there is a way to rearrange them to hit peak reps in W4 instead of 3. 25-25-20-30?

After week 4 I am going to re-test with the 24s. If the 24s are in my 10 rep max, I'll re-run 1.0 with 24s.
If not, I may do 3.0 with the 24s and then start 1.0 with the 24s after 3.0 is completed.

I'd be happy for any pointers if anyone has any.
I think that 3.0 and 1.0 do not have to be your only options, since it sounds like you are really close to hitting a 10RM with your 24s. You could do a 3.1 or a 3.2 as well (which are not canon but you just add a rep for 3.1 and an additional rep for 3.2).

I did a 3.1 after DFW (which like 3.0 starts are 5RM) when my 24s were a 7RM and now I'm continuing with 3.2. I recall some members of the forum also doing that but I'll leave it at a hunch since I don't feel like going through 118 pages to find a quote :)

That's an interesting idea and I know I felt the same about week 3 in both cycles I've done. I worked to the 20-25-30-25 time limits on each week but wonder if there is a way to rearrange them to hit peak reps in W4 instead of 3. 25-25-20-30?
Hitting my peak reps in week 4 is what happened in my case. Use a good consistent and challenging pace for weeks 1, 2 and 3 and your volume will obviously increase because of the added 5 minutes for each workout each week. My goal was to get more reps in week 4 than week 2 and push for as much density as possible. It turned out that I routinely hit up more reps in my density week 4 than in week 3's 30 minute sessions. I also routinely hit up personal bests using this format in "pounds per minute" during each workout in week 4's density sessions.

Back
Top Bottom