all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

After fighting a back injury the last 2 months that would not go away due to my constant commute lol. I’m starting to miss the Giant. I’ve been doing a strong first chin up program and also doing push-ups as well. After a week of committing to some serious trigger point releasing and hours of yoga I’m finally starting to feel good. I want to finish this chin-up program over the next few weeks and then restart the Giant. Not sure where I’ll start. Maybe ease back in with 1.0 with the 24s and then jump back to 3.0 with the 32s. We’ll see. I did some clean and presses with the 20s yesterday just to ease back into the groove.
Do you know what you did to your back?

Yes I pulled a muscle early one morning bending down to pick up a kettlebell not warmed up. As with most of my back injuries I’ve had it was injured doing something completely inconspicuous. Then I drove 6 hrs to Disneyland and back and it just got tighter and tighter. It’s not a terrible injury just a nagging one. The problem with me as I always try and push myself to see if I can perform different things even with injury… and I kept pulling it again trying to stretch too far doing yoga.

Yes I pulled a muscle early one morning bending down to pick up a kettlebell not warmed up. As with most of my back injuries I’ve had it was injured doing something completely inconspicuous. Then I drove 6 hrs to Disneyland and back and it just got tighter and tighter. It’s not a terrible injury just a nagging one. The problem with me as I always try and push myself to see if I can perform different things even with injury… and I kept pulling it again trying to stretch too far doing yoga.
I’m just getting over my semi regular ( 18 months -2 yrs ) back issue. Mine is simply that for whatever reason ( I suspect too much sitting at work ), I have to regularly do direct glute work, or I get back issues, not major, but enough to stop me from training. Then, I get it right and im 100%, so, being an idiot, I stop the direct glute work, which is fine for a while, until it isn’t. I have realised I just have to do it year round. Stupid thing is, I really don’t need much, dumbbell rdls twice a week or single leg rdls is enough to keep my glutes happy.

At least it isn't serious.

Hope you feel better soon.

Some real wisdom there, John. I confess that I am strugling with recovery some but I am also doing a lot of walking and my recovery has always been a challenge, especially as I entered my 70’s. The only change I am making now is taking an occasiona extra rest day when needed.

The program is the program. It works when followed. If we change it we lose the option of saying “It doesn’t work”.
Jim-if you read this, please determine a way to contact me. The Decatur Commodores have a home game tonight LOL. Ken Morrison

Just finished 2.0, think this is the underrated four week cycle so far. Mostly on here (and other forums), you see people running 1.0 or 3.0, with 1.1 and 1.2 a bit scattered. The ladders in 2.0 helped me keep my volume from 1.0 up, for sure my total reps would have dumped hard if I had gone to 1.1 first. Thanks for the advice @John Grahill !

Last edited:
My worst back injury was caused when I hauled my wife's suitcase out of the car on arrival at the airport and wrenched something. A four hour flight cramped in plane seat was just the ticket to sort it out...and don't forget all the time spent queuing for security and passport checks, that helps a lot too. Now if we go away I don't know whether to laugh or cry each time I realise how much she's packed.

Just finished 2.0, think this is the underrated four week cycle so far. Mostly on here (and other forums), you see people running 1.0 or 3.0, with 1.1 and 1.2 a bit scattered. The ladders in 2.0 helped me keep my volume from 1.0 up, for sure my total reps would have dumped hard if I had gone to 1.1 first. Thanks for the advice @John Grahill !
Glad it worked out!

I think the 2.0 is my favorite version of the Giant. You hit a higher rep set then back down to start a new ladder....it exposes you to higher rep kb clean and presses which I think by now we all know will gas you and gives a break back to the lower reps to start a new ladder!

Not sure if this is the right topic, but there is a lot of Giant / Geoff Neupert experience here, so I'll take my shot.
I'm planning on a new program. In 14 weeks I'm going on holiday, so I keep that in the back of my mind. I wouldn't mind losing around 3 kg (or a smaller waste). But my main goal is becomming stronger and feeling better.
I have time to train 3 times a week for about 45 to 60 minutes and have single kb ranging from 16 to 28 kg, with the 20 as my only pair (10RM).
I'm thinking of starting the Giant of Burn 2.0. I would like to start Strong as wel, but my 20kg is not heavy enough and it's not possible for me to buy a 2nd 24 at the moment.
What would be a great program to become stronger and lose a spare tire in the process. I'm also open to other suggestions.

Not sure if this is the right topic, but there is a lot of Giant / Geoff Neupert experience here, so I'll take my shot.
I'm planning on a new program. In 14 weeks I'm going on holiday, so I keep that in the back of my mind. I wouldn't mind losing around 3 kg (or a smaller waste). But my main goal is becomming stronger and feeling better.
I have time to train 3 times a week for about 45 to 60 minutes and have single kb ranging from 16 to 28 kg, with the 20 as my only pair (10RM).
I'm thinking of starting the Giant of Burn 2.0. I would like to start Strong as wel, but my 20kg is not heavy enough and it's not possible for me to buy a 2nd 24 at the moment.
What would be a great program to become stronger and lose a spare tire in the process. I'm also open to other suggestions.
Just my 2 cents but you have a 10 RM pair of bells with your 20s so I say run the Giant and watch your diet. I think you'd be pleased.

What @John Grahill said about your 10RM bells.

Alternatively, your timeframe and requirements almost fit Kettlebell Burn 2.0 perfectly. It's 16 weeks long, 3x week, 45 minute sessions.

My suggestion is if you've been doing doubles work for awhile, do Burn. If you've been doing singles work for awhile, do 'THE GIANT.'

Hope this helps.

I am closing in on finishing running 20 weeks of Giant sequentially with 24kgs. I bought pairs every 5-6 pounds with the hopes of running the wheels off the program by just increasing to the next weight and running 20 straight weeks. Should I be doing something between runs to give the C&P a rest or just keep going till I hit a wall?

I was debating about running Boulder Shoulder (might not be strong enough to run however as 24kg are my lightest bells) or Carry Me (Double rack, double farmer, single waiter for four weeks) as the break between but idk. I think a large part of my success with Giant was taking my tinkering and thinking out of the process lol. Any suggestions?

I am closing in on finishing running 20 weeks of Giant sequentially with 24kgs. I bought pairs every 5-6 pounds with the hopes of running the wheels off the program by just increasing to the next weight and running 20 straight weeks. Should I be doing something between runs to give the C&P a rest or just keep going till I hit a wall?

I was debating about running Boulder Shoulder (might not be strong enough to run however as 24kg are my lightest bells) or Carry Me (Double rack, double farmer, single waiter for four weeks) as the break between but idk. I think a large part of my success with Giant was taking my tinkering and thinking out of the process lol. Any suggestions?
Nice work! If you're in the rhythm of "The Giant" and are sick of or stuck with C&P's, maybe try applying the template to front squats for one or 2 blocks. I did that for 8-weeks (attempting to solve elbow tendon pain; which didn't resolve......but that's another topic) and got a LOT better at KB front squats (I'd never really messed around with them, they are WAY harder than I expected them to be; the weight is so much farther forward than BB squats); which itself can't be a bad thing.

If you're still making progress with the C&P, and haven't "overused" anything, maybe just re-test your 3.0 and/or 1.0-2.0 RM's, grab a heavier weight, and keep going. Sounds like you have heavier pairs of KB's....

Super late to the party. Big fan of @Geoff Neupert s work as I have done KB Muscle, Strong and various programs from More KB Muscle.

I gotta say the GIANT is quickly becoming my favorite. I started 1.0 and am on the last week of 1.1 and its been amazing. Also Serious muscle gain. Per Geoff I went with 20 min blocks as I also do BJJ 3x a week. Good stuff! I hope to move some monster bells like @John Grahill !

Nice work! If you're in the rhythm of "The Giant" and are sick of or stuck with C&P's, maybe try applying the template to front squats for one or 2 blocks. I did that for 8-weeks (attempting to solve elbow tendon pain; which didn't resolve......but that's another topic) and got a LOT better at KB front squats (I'd never really messed around with them, they are WAY harder than I expected them to be; the weight is so much farther forward than BB squats); which itself can't be a bad thing.

If you're still making progress with the C&P, and haven't "overused" anything, maybe just re-test your 3.0 and/or 1.0-2.0 RM's, grab a heavier weight, and keep going. Sounds like you have heavier pairs of KB's....
Yeah I should just stop thinking it and just keep on keeping on with Giant as I’m liking both the physique and lifestyle impact it is having.

Super late to the party. Big fan of @Geoff Neupert s work as I have done KB Muscle, Strong and various programs from More KB Muscle.

I gotta say the GIANT is quickly becoming my favorite. I started 1.0 and am on the last week of 1.1 and its been amazing. Also Serious muscle gain. Per Geoff I went with 20 min blocks as I also do BJJ 3x a week. Good stuff! I hope to move some monster bells like @John Grahill !
@MikeMoran that's very nice of you to say.....but I'm certainly nothing special. You as a bjj guy have more internal fortitude than I do and as such will fly by me and I'll bet it'll be in short order too!

I also do BJJ and just started Giant 1.0. Please describe your “serious muscle gain” and did you find any transfer to BJJ?

i found double cleans and rack position made it easier for me for me to keep my arms in for defense (like T. rex position) and made me do more explosive movements than even kettlebell swings!

I also do BJJ and just started Giant 1.0. Please describe your “serious muscle gain” and did you find any transfer to BJJ?

i found double cleans and rack position made it easier for me for me to keep my arms in for defense (like T. rex position) and made me do more explosive movements than even kettlebell swings!
Get through phase 1 and tell me if your shirts aren’t all tighter in the chest and shoulders. Biceps and triceps grew too!

Back
Top Bottom