all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

It is a hidden gem :) I play cricket (very loosely like baseball) and notice benefit in season from squating and pressing (suprise suprise). I was looking through Geoffs programs I own for 3 x a week squat & press program I could recover from (I'm a 46 year old family man). The Olympic 2 has hit the nail on the head! I'm doing it as a complex with 24s. @Steve W. I also found on rest days I was able to do some extra if I wanted, swings, snatch, bike, low volume bent press etc etc
@Geoff Neupert any issues with going back through it after the end of phase 3 , but as a chain with 28s?
I also love Strong and the Giant but will probably stick to doing those out of season.
I like the sound of this combination and the varied combinations sound good.
You just need something to fill your time when rain stops play :)

It is a hidden gem :) I play cricket (very loosely like baseball) and notice benefit in season from squating and pressing (suprise suprise). I was looking through Geoffs programs I own for 3 x a week squat & press program I could recover from (I'm a 46 year old family man). The Olympic 2 has hit the nail on the head! I'm doing it as a complex with 24s. @Steve W. I also found on rest days I was able to do some extra if I wanted, swings, snatch, bike, low volume bent press etc etc
@Geoff Neupert any issues with going back through it after the end of phase 3 , but as a chain with 28s?
I also love Strong and the Giant but will probably stick to doing those out of season.
That's a great program, though admittedly I never fully tried it. It was in his "kettlebell express ultra" I believe. It was also in kettlebell express as a single bell program. If memory serves me Geoff offered several variations.....use a push press, use a jerk, use a single or double bell protocol....and yes use a chain or complex approach!

Matter of fact since we were bringing up emails from Geoff......back in 2013 (I just found it) he advocated the Olympic 2 and crawling as his hypothetical "if you could only do 1 program" program

I'm thinking I just may after I finish my current romp through strong......

That's a great program, though admittedly I never fully tried it. It was in his "kettlebell express ultra" I believe. It was also in kettlebell express as a single bell program. If memory serves me Geoff offered several variations.....use a push press, use a jerk, use a single or double bell protocol....and yes use a chain or complex approach!

Matter of fact since we were bringing up emails from Geoff......back in 2013 (I just found it) he advocated the Olympic 2 and crawling as his hypothetical "if you could only do 1 program" program

I'm thinking I just may after I finish my current romp through strong......
Yes, The Olympic 1.0 is in Kettlebell Express as a single bell program. The variations are 1.0 with presses, 1.1 with push presses, and 1.2 with jerks. Then you can do it as complexes or chains (which are labeled as 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5).

The Olympic 2.0 is in Kettlebell Express Ultra as a double bell program. Everything else is exactly the same, with the same 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 variations and the complex or chain option (2.3, 2.4, 2.5).

There are also a number of individual workouts in 102 Kettlebell Workouts that have "Olympic" in the name, and there's an "Olympic 3.0" in More Kettlebell Muscle, but that's a very different program.

I've been doing The Olympic 2.0 version (double bells with presses).

Yes, The Olympic 1.0 is in Kettlebell Express as a single bell program. The variations are 1.0 with presses, 1.1 with push presses, and 1.2 with jerks. Then you can do it as complexes or chains (which are labeled as 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5).

The Olympic 2.0 is in Kettlebell Express Ultra as a double bell program. Everything else is exactly the same, with the same 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 variations and the complex or chain option (2.3, 2.4, 2.5).

There are also a number of individual workouts in 102 Kettlebell Workouts that have "Olympic" in the name, and there's an "Olympic 3.0" in More Kettlebell Muscle, but that's a very different program.

I've been doing The Olympic 2.0 version (double bells with presses).
Steve, I think like most of his programming it's just simple enough to work as written!

I also really enjoyed the Olympic 2.0. I did it around this time last year with double 24's when I was trying to up my Press reps so that I could justify running The Giant! It worked great, but now a year afterwards, I'm realizing how powerful that program could be by itself. I'm running ROP right now with a 32, and I'm thinking I'm going to try and go with a run through of Olympic 2.0 afterwards.

In my opinion, I think running it as a "chain" makes sense first, possibly following up by running as a "complex." For me, pressing for reps is much harder than pressing after each clean.

@Stuart Elliott - Nope, no issues at all. Chain = different stimulus, so you should be good.

Let us know how you get on.

I gotta say I am loving the GIANT. Had some tough BJJ training on MONDAY- Tuesday was Giant 1.2 week 2 day 1, was able to just get some sets in not pushing really hard but still hit a solid 20 min session with 56 reps. Thursday I was able to push harder and get 63. Auto Regulation is great and this is a good program for Martial Artists!!

With using the push press and the c&p, would you run once through the whole gambit and then switch to the other? So basically a whole year with the same size bells as 3, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 2 is five months of push presses and then run it with c&p for another five months.

I gotta say I am loving the GIANT. Had some tough BJJ training on MONDAY- Tuesday was Giant 1.2 week 2 day 1, was able to just get some sets in not pushing really hard but still hit a solid 20 min session with 56 reps. Thursday I was able to push harder and get 63. Auto Regulation is great and this is a good program for Martial Artists!!
Again I say that Mike Moran is a savage!

Honestly the more years go by the more I think autoregulation is such a powerful key concept for me when I train. Would have saved alot of injuries if I had embraced it sooner.

Honestly the more years go by the more I think autoregulation is such a powerful key concept for me when I train. Would have saved alot of injuries if I had embraced it sooner.
I agree. Strong Phase 2 is kicking my rear end . As I'm getting older I'm finding that keeping short rest periods is pretty tough to recover from. The "do what you can " autoregulation of the Giant is a blessing.

Just wrapped up 1.1, it was rough. The longer rep sets are really frying my forearms and I am no longer frequently hitting daily PRs on the rounds. I do think that this round had the highest hypertrophy response however, so at least there is gainz with the painz. I have a feeling 1.2 is gonna be even worse as the sets of 7 is a big chunk for the lowest volume sets.

Just wrapped up 1.1, it was rough. The longer rep sets are really frying my forearms and I am no longer frequently hitting daily PRs on the rounds. I do think that this round had the highest hypertrophy response however, so at least there is gainz with the painz. I have a feeling 1.2 is gonna be even worse as the sets of 7 is a big chunk for the lowest volume sets.
Are you holding too tight during the CLEANS? That will really make your forearms work harder than you need to.

I agree. Strong Phase 2 is kicking my rear end . As I'm getting older I'm finding that keeping short rest periods is pretty tough to recover from. The "do what you can " autoregulation of the Giant is a blessing.
I am going to have to jump on the Giant wagon soon. Currently running Strong again with the LCCJ this time around. Using the same 28kg though that I used doing the C&P.
Trying to really get the technicalities of the LCCJ down with the low reps of phase 1.

Started program 3 weeks ago. Loving the program. GN’s programs always deliver.

My rep increases are pretty cool to see. I plan to use week 4 as a deload because I can’t keep this up…

WK1- 214 reps
WK 2- 240 Reps
WK 3 - 90 Reps on day 1 (10 more than last week on D1)
*aiming for 260* this week.

I’m hooked!

Started program 3 weeks ago. Loving the program. GN’s programs always deliver.

My rep increases are pretty cool to see. I plan to use week 4 as a deload because I can’t keep this up…

WK1- 214 reps
WK 2- 240 Reps
WK 3 - 90 Reps on day 1 (10 more than last week on D1)
*aiming for 260* this week.

I’m hooked!
Why can’t you? Shouldn’t the auto regulation take care of any need for deload?

Back
Top Bottom