all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Just finished W2D1 of The Giant 1.0.
This week is 25minutes per session.
And I just completed 7x5 in left hand and 7x5 in right hand. In total it’s 70reps for both hands using 16kg bell.
So it’s 1.120kg weight moved.
It’s safe to say that
“I just moved 1 ton of weight today”
Putting it that way makes me feel like a superhero .

@Provx , I like both programs. Difference is the loading, The Giant uses a 10RM and there is slightly more volume and density than in Strong!
As you tried both what’s your take if my goal is to press a single 40kg (currently @32 both side) it seams to me that you would lean toward KB strong… am I correct?

As you tried both what’s your take if my goal is to press a single 40kg (currently @32 both side) it seams to me that you would lean toward KB strong… am I correct?
Well, no expert at all but I would say for pressing a single 40 while being at a current 32....the Rite of Passage or the Giant 3.0 using a single bell. Having said that, KB Strong will make you stronger for sure and then you could try a max attempt with a single bell afterwards! I have found that both single bell and double bell presses help each other out.

Just finished W2D1 of The Giant 1.0.
This week is 25minutes per session.
And I just completed 7x5 in left hand and 7x5 in right hand. In total it’s 70reps for both hands using 16kg bell.
So it’s 1.120kg weight moved.
It’s safe to say that
“I just moved 1 ton of weight today”
Putting it that way makes me feel like a superhero .

This is not only motivating but if you divide the weight by the time taken, it is quite a scientific way to measure your training density and fitness. Time is a crucial factor in the Giant. But those people in the gym where I lift who spend half their time on their phones are not doing much "work" in the scientific sense. I found the compressed time in the Giant critical to motivation and results.

What are people's thoughts on the Giant (single KB) being the first clean and press program someone does after having done S&S for a while? Would ROP be preferred for some reason?
I'd say The Giant, though I've never run it :)
Learning to snatch and clean and press simultaneously could be a challenge for some.

What are people's thoughts on the Giant (single KB) being the first clean and press program someone does after having done S&S for a while? Would ROP be preferred for some reason?
The Nice thing about the ROP is it starts a bit slower and you can break in a bit easier. The volume does creep up and the sets get longer. I loved ROP when I did it. It was my first Single Press program. I would say the GIANT works great for single but even better for Double.

This is not only motivating but if you divide the weight by the time taken, it is quite a scientific way to measure your training density and fitness. Time is a crucial factor in the Giant. But those people in the gym where I lift who spend half their time on their phones are not doing much "work" in the scientific sense. I found the compressed time in the Giant critical to motivation and results.
I’m on you with this. Even 20mins of The Giant feels much more “packed” than 1 hour in the gym (at least for me). When I was training in commercial gym 70% of it is socializing with friends and commuting and changing clothes. Now I can train at home with just my shorts and no distractions.

I haven’t tried ROP, but I did S&S in the past. The Light day on Giant 3.0 prescribed 1reps set. It gives me a good chance to tune in my forms. And the auto regulated rest time will make sure that I am doing the sets in fresh condition.

100%.

I would build a foundation with ROP and save the Giant for double KB work. Yes, it can be done with a single but unless you are using a really heavy bell, you would probably not get the full benefit of the program. It is designed as a double KB program but also the volume can get quite high. Test the 10 rep max you can do with a single bell. I would test the 10 rep max you can do with double bells. That will help you understand and decide.

I’m on you with this. Even 20mins of The Giant feels much more “packed” than 1 hour in the gym (at least for me). When I was training in commercial gym 70% of it is socializing with friends and commuting and changing clothes. Now I can train at home with just my shorts and no distractions.

I haven’t tried ROP, but I did S&S in the past. The Light day on Giant 3.0 prescribed 1reps set. It gives me a good chance to tune in my forms. And the auto regulated rest time will make sure that I am doing the sets in fresh condition.
I actually got a itch to join up a gym again and went to try this mega gym out. I really loved the sauna but that was it….I hated the kettlebell selection, and was reminded how much I didn’t miss all the extra stuff around the gym, like competing for equipment and everyone trying to be “impressive” . Maybe I’m just getting old but I came right back to my nice set of bells. Although I do want to use the sauna, I want one at the house but they’re not cheap to install or to heat.

Running Giant 3.0 with double 32s got me the 40kg (half BW) press on the right, and it took those 32s from my 6-7RM to my 10RM in half the time of Strong (phase 1) two years prior. Admittedly it was probably easier because I’d been there before but I find the Giant more efficient and enjoyable anyway, personally.

Last edited:
Running Giant 3.0 with double 32s got me the 40kg (half BW) press on the right, and it took those 32s from my 6-7RM to my 10RM in half the time of Strong two years prior. Admittedly it was probably easier because I’d been there before but I find the Giant more efficient and enjoyable anyway, personally.
Well put! I had some "difficulties" with Strong which I just finished up. Basically at my age now (57) with reps above 5 sometimes I can go again quickly but often I need more rest....this during phase 2 wherein the rests between sets decreases. With the Giant which espouses autoregulation I found it more enjoyable!

Back
Top Bottom