all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Just got this program, but a quick question before i start: which would be a bigger "bang", double 16s or a single 20?
depends what, exactly, you're trying to "bang", and probably what your relative strengths and weaknesses are. With a single 20, you'll be pressing 25% more weight; and you'll be working twice as long without stopping for each set. With double-16s, the cleans are a lot harder.

So I am currently attempting The Giant 3.0 & failing miserably due to inconsistent frequency.
Expected due to a crazy work schedule ATM.
I'm prioritizing sleep & recovery for the next two months.

Anyway I'm using a single bell & am enjoying the effect it's having on my "core" but also miss the training effect of double bells on the legs & back when cleaning.

So I started wondering is there a way to get both these benefits....?

Spitballing I started thinking & thought of an interesting variation.
Double cleans & see saw presses.

I think it might be best to do all the cleans then all the presses in each set rather than clean & press L then press R as the power of the see saw press is often the motion/momentum you gain after the first press IMHO.

Anyway just posting as people often ask about single Vs double bell & thought this might make an interesting alternative giving the best of both.

So I am currently attempting The Giant 3.0 & failing miserably due to inconsistent frequency.
Expected due to a crazy work schedule ATM.
I'm prioritizing sleep & recovery for the next two months.

Anyway I'm using a single bell & am enjoying the effect it's having on my "core" but also miss the training effect of double bells on the legs & back when cleaning.

So I started wondering is there a way to get both these benefits....?

Spitballing I started thinking & thought of an interesting variation.
Double cleans & see saw presses.

I think it might be best to do all the cleans then all the presses in each set rather than clean & press L then press R as the power of the see saw press is often the motion/momentum you gain after the first press IMHO.

Anyway just posting as people often ask about single Vs double bell & thought this might make an interesting alternative giving the best of both.
@Cearball ,

You could.

However, I'd still keep the 1CL + 1SSP instead of doing it as a complex.

Give it a shot and report back in your results.

Finished 2.0 with 2x24kg- took a full deload week due to a minor Jiujitsu injury (spent last week just doing OS crawling and loaded carries)

Tested a pair of 2x28kg and got 4 so I am rolling to 1.1 with the 2x24kg
Started 1.1 this week with the 2x24 and got an all time PR of 42 reps in 20 minutes! HELL YEAH!! @Geoff Neupert
EXCELLENT WORK @MikeMoran!

Sharing my experience:
178cm and 85kg (overweight)
This is my first "program" - have played around with KBs for years and most recently just doing snatches for EMOMs (haphazardly). At best, I'm a deconditioned near 50 year old with a bunch o kids - which made me resonate with what @Geoff Neupert 's selling points consisted of.
20kg pair is 10 rep max
24kg pair is 5 rep max
Disclosure - I did week 1 a few times because I was traveling and at times only had access to DBs. So when I came back to homebase I started the 4 week program.
I had trouble with autoregulation (I'm not that "guy") - so I picked a rest period of 2 minutes.
I added 1 set every week, so week 1 ended up being about 20 minutes and week 4 ended up being about 30 minutes. (Being vague intentionally to protect Geoff's IP). Ultimately reps were 40-60 each session.
Outcome:
24kg pair - tested today and got 8 reps started to shake on the 8th press (I'm confident I could have done 9 and perhaps 10 but I'm restricting the rep count to what Geoff delineates in his "rules"). That's a 60% improvement in output in 4 weeks - Imagine annualizing that.
Yet to test 20kg pair.
I'm very happy with the improvement. I think there was a fair amount of technique improvement that assisted in the final output improvement.
Posture improved/imbalances improved (core, posture, etc). Had an unusual impact on my overall organization and goal setting? didn't weigh myself before/after - but probably stayed the same.
Not sure what do next?? Pair of 24kgs seems terrifying.
Thanks to Geoff and everyone here for the shared experience.
I'll probably test my 20kg in 48hrs and may report it here.

Just got this program, but a quick question before i start: which would be a bigger "bang", double 16s or a single 20?
I’ve done The Giant 3.0 with a single 20kg, The Giant 1.0 with single 16kg, and currently running The Giant 1.0 with double 16kg.

Doing single bell with no rest between sides give me more bang on my conditioning.
Doing double bells give me more bang in total weight lifted.

Sharing my experience:
178cm and 85kg (overweight)
This is my first "program" - have played around with KBs for years and most recently just doing snatches for EMOMs (haphazardly). At best, I'm a deconditioned near 50 year old with a bunch o kids - which made me resonate with what @Geoff Neupert 's selling points consisted of.
20kg pair is 10 rep max
24kg pair is 5 rep max
Disclosure - I did week 1 a few times because I was traveling and at times only had access to DBs. So when I came back to homebase I started the 4 week program.
I had trouble with autoregulation (I'm not that "guy") - so I picked a rest period of 2 minutes.
I added 1 set every week, so week 1 ended up being about 20 minutes and week 4 ended up being about 30 minutes. (Being vague intentionally to protect Geoff's IP). Ultimately reps were 40-60 each session.
Outcome:
24kg pair - tested today and got 8 reps started to shake on the 8th press (I'm confident I could have done 9 and perhaps 10 but I'm restricting the rep count to what Geoff delineates in his "rules"). That's a 60% improvement in output in 4 weeks - Imagine annualizing that.
Yet to test 20kg pair.
I'm very happy with the improvement. I think there was a fair amount of technique improvement that assisted in the final output improvement.
Posture improved/imbalances improved (core, posture, etc). Had an unusual impact on my overall organization and goal setting? didn't weigh myself before/after - but probably stayed the same.
Not sure what do next?? Pair of 24kgs seems terrifying.
Thanks to Geoff and everyone here for the shared experience.
I'll probably test my 20kg in 48hrs and may report it here.
Alright, retested my 20kg C/P today
started 20kg 10rep max
today: 20kg for 15rep max - 50% improvement similar to the 24kg CP improvement of 60%
I was limited by my heart pounding out of my chest and probably could have squeezed some more out if it weren't for the fact I have a heart (that was for my wife to read)
Tempted to go 3.0 next with 24's but its become clear that conditioning is my weakest link - any thoughts on where to go next with a KB program?
2.0 ? "which allow for more volume and minimize fatigue." At some point, I will tackle KSK (sooner if y'all think I should!)
Thanks again to Geoff and the crew here.

Joining in the fun here. I will run The Giant 1 arm C&P beginning with my 24kg. As mentioned in my Grinds only? thread, I have had some lower back issues after lifting kettelbells regularly for over 10 years. My back feels ok now and my hope is The Giant can be a long term solution. For me, swings and snatches are no longer feasible but I think the clean is less risky. Along with the Giants tight programming. Will pop in and give an update on my progress occasionally.

I'm on week 3 of Giant 1.1 with 24kg's. Starting to get higher rep fatigue. If I can hit 5xthe 28kgs at the end of this block should I go to GIANT 3.0 or do STRONG again?

What would you say @Geoff Neupert @John Grahill ?
Mike, just my humble opinion but it kind of depends. If you get an 'easy' 5 reps with those 28s then hit up the 3.0. If your 5 are more like 4 good ones and one really wobbly one, then I'd go with Strong Phase 1!

I'm on week 3 of Giant 1.1 with 24kg's. Starting to get higher rep fatigue. If I can hit 5xthe 28kgs at the end of this block should I go to GIANT 3.0 or do STRONG again?

I do understand that 'higher rep fatigue' as you describe. It can get ya but good! Then you try on a pair of pants and discover they're pretty loose and you realize it's worth it!

Joining in the fun here. I will run The Giant 1 arm C&P beginning with my 24kg. As mentioned in my Grinds only? thread, I have had some lower back issues after lifting kettelbells regularly for over 10 years. My back feels ok now and my hope is The Giant can be a long term solution. For me, swings and snatches are no longer feasible but I think the clean is less risky. Along with the Giants tight programming. Will pop in and give an update on my progress occasionally.
@Cameron,

What have you done to your lower back?

And what have you done to fix it, if anything?

I'd say (not that you asked me :) ) it depends what your primary goal is. If you're primarily trying to get "fitter", the clock racing nature of Giant may align a little better. If you're more focused on getting STRONGER, then..... the slow, plodding progression of Strong! would be my recommendation.

It also might depend how long you've been at the C&P. If you've still got "newbie gains" to squeeze out, I'd recommend Giant 3.0, because you can stretch yourself pretty consistently through the program. Strong progresses at more of a.....slog. My experience has been that it's more optimized to systematically make strong people stronger. Everyone's mileage varying and all.....

@Cameron,

What have you done to your lower back?

And what have you done to fix it, if anything?
Hi Geoff,

I have some disc degeneration there. I think it must be attributed to years of martial arts training when I was young. I can't say for sure. Overall, I felt good the past few months. But whenever I did swings or snatches, I found I would get some pain/tweaks there. I have never had issues with kettelbell military presses and get ups.

I am starting with Giant 3.0 with consevative weight. I can one arm press my 24 kg 10x now but will stick with 3.0 rep range for a couple months to make sure the body is ok getting back to regular C & P. Of course, any suggestion you have are welcome!

Cheers,

Cameron

Hi Geoff,

I have some disc degeneration there. I think it must be attributed to years of martial arts training when I was young. I can't say for sure. Overall, I felt good the past few months. But whenever I did swings or snatches, I found I would get some pain/tweaks there. I have never had issues with kettelbell military presses and get ups.

I am starting with Giant 3.0 with consevative weight. I can one arm press my 24 kg 10x now but will stick with 3.0 rep range for a couple months to make sure the body is ok getting back to regular C & P. Of course, any suggestion you have are welcome!

Cheers,

Cameron
@Cameron

What have you done to address your lower back issues? Anything proactive?

Or just reactive, like rest, ice, etc...?

If nothing proactive, I strongly recommend you address it directly.

Back
Top Bottom