all posts post new thread

Nutrition Girevik Diet

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary Logue

Level 4 Valued Member
In the modern day, particularly the western world, we have an addiction to fad diets be it Paleo, Keto, Vegan, Plant Based, Carnivore, IF etc etc.

I’m interested if anyone knows what a typical Girevik diet is? In the modern day and in the past.

Are we talking IF WD 1 meal per day, standard 3 meals per day, calorie surplus 6 meals per day?

This is more of an interest around the culture than a plan that I intend to follow.

In the modern day, particularly the western world, we have an addiction to fad diets be it Paleo, Keto, Vegan, Plant Based, Carnivore, IF etc etc.

I’m interested if anyone knows what a typical Girevik diet is? In the modern day and in the past.

Are we talking IF WD 1 meal per day, standard 3 meals per day, calorie surplus 6 meals per day?

This is more of an interest around the culture than a plan that I intend to follow.
In the past, I think they ate whatever they got their hands on. Things are allot easier than they were in the past. We live in a society that gives us so many options, we can exclude complete food groups and do okay.

Anyways @Pavel Macek would know about this. He's a historian of these sorts of things.

what a typical Girevik diet is
I'm positively sure that there's no such thing, and never was.
Everyone gets full, well-fed and energised in it's own way.
So far, with all fancy diets of today, nobody invented any better, than balanced nutrients and moderate consuming.
For example, in a glory years of Soviet Weightlifting, athletes, being in their majority a simple people, had access to only what half-empty grocery store could offer - eggs, cheap mortadella made of pig tales, potatoes, pasta, buckwheat, sour cream, butter, kefir. In a good case you could have some meat. They ate their breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Fact Check

None of the above are "Fad Diets".

Definition of Fat

It is "...an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived "...

All of these diets have been have been in existence for enormously long period of time.

Ketogenic Diet and Fasting

"Fasting and other dietary regimens have been used to treat epilepsy since at least 500 BC."

Paleo Diet

..It has actually been around for several decades. It was started around the 1970s by gastroenterologist Walter Voegtlin..."

Vegan Diet

"The Vegan Society may have been established 75 years ago but veganism has been around much longer. Evidence of people choosing to avoid animal products can be traced back over 2,000 years."

Carnivore Diet

"The diet can be traced to the German writer Bernard Moncriff, author of The Philosophy of the Stomach: Or, An Exclusively Animal Diet, in 1856."

Fact Check

None of the above are "Fad Diets".

Definition of Fat

It is "...an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived "...

All of these diets have been have been in existence for enormously long period of time.

Ketogenic Diet and Fasting

"Fasting and other dietary regimens have been used to treat epilepsy since at least 500 BC."

Paleo Diet

..It has actually been around for several decades. It was started around the 1970s by gastroenterologist Walter Voegtlin..."

Vegan Diet

"The Vegan Society may have been established 75 years ago but veganism has been around much longer. Evidence of people choosing to avoid animal products can be traced back over 2,000 years."

Carnivore Diet

"The diet can be traced to the German writer Bernard Moncriff, author of The Philosophy of the Stomach: Or, An Exclusively Animal Diet, in 1856."

Kenny, thanks for the history lesson, some good information there. My point however was more around what would the diet of an eastern european kettlebell lifter have been in the past or now in comparison to the wide variety of diets that I would assume mainly westerners would be attracted to.

I think I'd be correct in saying that the majority of people who follow these not so faddy diets spends copious amounts of time researching the diets, producing meal plans and probably beating themselves up when they go off track.

Were as I'd imagine the old school girevik would eat 3 meals per day, not overthinking on what those meals consist of and just focusing on lifting. If this is the case then it's very interesting to me that these guys owned bodies that greek gods would be jealous of whilst also being able to pump 70 pounders over head 80+ times.

Maybe I'm wrong however and IF, carnivore etc was widely used by these athletes. Either way that's why I posted, more to understand what their diet is rather than focusing on my poorly put together list of examples.

What do you mean with "past"? Soviet union? Russian empire? Fitness training and muscle building became a bit of an international trend during the Victorian age and you can find some of the books written by wrestlers, lifters and strongman that were famous during the late 19th and early 20th century online to see how different the approaches to diet were. I assume KB lifters more or less followed what other lifting and fitness enthusiasts did and some paid more attention to diet than others. And I doubt there was a special KB lifters diet.

I think I'd be correct in saying that the majority of people who follow these not so faddy diets spends copious amounts of time researching the diets, producing meal plans and probably beating themselves up when they go off track.

Applies to All Diets

1) That is true of the majority of individuals who go on weight loss plans.

Approximately, 80% or more of individuals who go on a weight loss plan or some type of diet to improve their health, eventually go off whatever the diet is.

2) The more restrictive a diet is, as the ones you mentioned, the less likely someone is going to adhere to it; stick with it.

The above applies to exercise as well.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom