all posts post new thread

Barbell Gironda 8X8 method

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Moyni19

Level 2 Valued Member
Has anyone ever tried the gironda 8X8 method? Gonna be wrapping up a low rep strength phase in next few weeks and was thinking about giving it a run, to work on conditioning and lean out before summer

I've not done 8x8 but 7x7 was a fave of mine not long ago. I started light and just added weight each session until I maxed out, then dialled the weight back and started again. I kept the rest periods modest (2 mins). Because I tend to do a limited number of exercises (one push, one pull, legs plus maybe one or two accessory but usually not) I look for programs with a higher number of total reps each workout. 7x7, 5x10, 4x12, 10x5 are typical. In terms of muscle gains, I didn't notice any difference between 7x7 and 5x10 and my cycles were maxing out roughly the same % of my rep max (7x7 slightly higher). My go to program for muscle used to be 5 hard sets with variable weight (ie five sets close to failure with a different whatever weight each set) but as I've got older that's aggravating my joints so I've moved to more peaking style programs with the identified rep/set combinations. I've been happy with the progress

Thanks for the reply. Did you notice much for fat loss ?
This is my opinion only, but Vince Gironda's method for leaning out involved the Gironda low carb, high fat diet more than his 8 X 8 training plan.

The very first sentence in the article is the key.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Did you notice much for fat loss ?
Sorry my general obsessiveness with data doesn't always extend to weight. In the main, the only strong correlation I've found between exercise and weight loss is from fasted walking (and maybe that had more to do with the fasted than the walking). I expect you'll find most people doing 8x8, GVT, BBB etc are looking to put on weight Probably worth mentioning is that the first time I did Plan Strong (bench and deads) I dropped 8 kilo in the eight weeks. I don't recall consciously eating less and the volume on Plan Strong does get pretty crazy. Maybe have a look at that?

From memory I was about 92kg and 23% body fat when I started that first cycle of Plan Strong

I ran it along with his steak and eggs diet and had great results. Week one is a bit tough from an energy stand point, this is mostly due to the eating plan itself. 8 X 8 with 30-45 seconds between sets is tough but it really worked for me. The diet and the eating plan is great for recomp! I can't tell you how much I dropped, I can just say that I looked and felt great. I'd give it a solid three month run program wise, diet is all on you.

I ran it along with his steak and eggs diet and had great results. Week one is a bit tough from an energy stand point, this is mostly due to the eating plan itself. 8 X 8 with 30-45 seconds between sets is tough but it really worked for me. The diet and the eating plan is great for recomp! I can't tell you how much I dropped, I can just say that I looked and felt great. I'd give it a solid three month run program wise, diet is all on you.
On 7x7 @ 2 min rest periods I was maxing out ~70% RM. 8x8 @ 30-45 sec rest periods sounds really tough. Do you recall what % RM top weight for that would be?

On 7x7 @ 2 min rest periods I was maxing out ~70% RM. 8x8 @ 30-45 sec rest periods sounds really tough. Do you recall what % RM top weight for that would be?
I started at 60% and slowly built up from there I didn't add a ton strength wise, this was a recomp for me so I was more concerned with getting the work in. I was basically doing my sets on the minute.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom