all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Give me a hand to understand Kettlebell deadlifts please ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BillSteamshovel

Level 6 Valued Member
I've seen see lots of videos of people doing kettlebell deadlifts, but these kettlebells are relatively low weights compared to what many people are capable of deadlifting, for example I just did a search on this forum and read a thread where people discussed swinging 32 36 & 40 kg kettlebells and deadlifting 400lbs.

My question is ....... Are kettlebell deadlifts done in a cunning way that somehow gives the person who can deadlift 400lb barbells a significant challenge without using a 400lb kettlebell ?

I've got 20 24 and a 28kg kettlebell on the way, (I am 80kg) - I have never tried a serious deadlift with a barbell in a gym but I've done simple gradual incremental experiments at home by putting kettlebells on one end of railway sleeper at home and ended up "deadlifting" 108kg like that to see what it felt like.

Should I be able to just use the 28kg and do the deadift in a way that would supply the same challenge ? ie slooooowly with crushing grip ?

I've recently seen people quoting Pavel as saying a healthy male should be able to deadlift 2x bodyweight

Any books videos websites previous discussions etc you can recommend please ?

Bill

I've seen see lots of videos of people doing kettlebell deadlifts, but these kettlebells are relatively low weights compared to what many people are capable of deadlifting, for example I just did a search on this forum and read a thread where people discussed swinging 32 36 & 40 kg kettlebells and deadlifting 400lbs.

My question is ....... Are kettlebell deadlifts done in a cunning way that somehow gives the person who can deadlift 400lb barbells a significant challenge without using a 400lb kettlebell ?

I've got 20 24 and a 28kg kettlebell on the way, (I am 80kg) - I have never tried a serious deadlift with a barbell in a gym but I've done simple gradual incremental experiments at home by putting kettlebells on one end of railway sleeper at home and ended up "deadlifting" 108kg like that to see what it felt like.

Should I be able to just use the 28kg and do the deadift in a way that would supply the same challenge ? ie slooooowly with crushing grip ?

I've recently seen people quoting Pavel as saying a healthy male should be able to deadlift 2x bodyweight

Any books videos websites previous discussions etc you can recommend please ?

Bill
The kettlebell deadlift is often used as a regression for the swing to learn how to hinge properly. With the kettlebell swing, the ballistic nature of the exercise can give you virtual weight, generating more newtons thus more power production with a smaller weight.

Double kettlebell deadlifts are programmed into the block programming in ROTK, and discussed more there than anywhere else I've seen (outside of the regression for the swing). It focuses on high speed sets of like 20 if I remember correctly.

I have seen some people who own double 92kg bells do suite case deadlifts which would be quite challenging…but yes if you wanna progress in deadlifts you’ll ultimately want a barbell. Although I think swings can compliment progression of the deadlift as they are kind of like “explosive” deadlifts.

Thanks for the replies - the big difference bewtween kettlebell deadlift weights and barbell deadlift weights has always puzzled me, I thought there might be a mysterious secret that I didn't know about that "equalised" them, that is well and truly clarified now. Surprising how much that question was nagging me. Thanks again.

Am off to read ROTK deadlift discussion.

The kettlebell deadlift is often used as a regression for the swing to learn how to hinge properly. With the kettlebell swing, the ballistic nature of the exercise can give you virtual weight, generating more newtons thus more power production with a smaller weight.

Thanks - this helps me to better understand the discussion I read this morning. It was suggested that swinging 30-40kg kettlebells helped people maintain their deadlift abilities whilst the gyms were shut. So the swing "hits" many of the same muscle groups.

Did some googling with my new understandings - this link is very interesting this chap is swinging 203lb = almost as much as I can deadlift

No.

The kettlebell deadlift is great preparation for both the kettlebell swing and the barbell deadlift. It is the heavy kettlebell swing, not the kettlebell deadlift, that helps a person with their barbell deadlift, and therein lies the "cunning."

So you need to sort out these two things when discussing kettlebell deadlifts. It's a fine way to start learning how to hip hinge, and in that way, a fine teaching tool for the barbell deadlift but, as you observed earlier, the weight quickly ceases to be challenging. My 120 lb wife has deadlifted my 64 kg (141 lb) kettlebell, and it was at that point that we switched her to a barbell. The ability to place the kettlebell between the feet makes the movement decidedly different than deadlifting a barbell, so we transitioned from a 141 lb kettlebell to a 95 lb barbell elevated on 2" blocks in order to be able to work achieving the same good hip hinge when the weight is in front of you instead of between your feet.

-S-

I mainly see people adding them to a complex to increase the Time Under Tension. Because no matter how I do it, the 32kg kb I own is not going to replace 150kg of barbell.

Here's a variant that can challenge even a seasoned lifter: SLDL with opposite working arm and leg. Hits muscles that are missed by barbell deadlifts and even heavy TGUs. You'll know which ones a day after you try it for the first time.

I thank @Steve Freides for bringing this movement to my attention a while back. I also think it's been a factor in accelerating my ongoing progress towards my first pistol.

Here's a variant that can challenge even a seasoned lifter: SLDL with opposite working arm and leg. Hits muscles that are missed by barbell deadlifts and even heavy TGUs. You'll know which ones a day after you try it for the first time.

I thank @Steve Freides for bringing this movement to my attention a while back. I also think it's been a factor in accelerating my ongoing progress towards my first pistol.
I think I saw or heard @Brett Jones say one time that the SLDL is one of those exercises that is easy to neglect, but important for maintaining healthy knees/ankles, and when he started neglecting the SLDL issues would start to pop up. (If I'm misremembering hopefully he'll set me straight.)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom