all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Give me barbell overhead press program ideas

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

bluejeff

Level 7 Valued Member
Feel free to direct me to any threads that have already covered this....

My girlfriend used my barbell the other day while I was at work and texted to ask how much the bar itself weighs. I was like "45lbs" (obviously, right?). Well, I got the set as a gift and apparently never bothered to weigh the bar (I thought I did...).... try 30lbs :confused:

Me being tired of having a weak press, but liking the movement itself, here I am....

I'm plenty happy doing squats, upper body pulls, and deadlifts for 2-3 days a week, but I love the feel of overhead pressing. Looking to increase my barbell overhead press specifically within a higher frequency (3+ days per week) framework, if possible.

Would a PTTP style program work (ten heavy reps per day) or would something lighter in weight but maybe a bit higher in volume be better?

I was thinking about how S&S also has a high frequency format. To that end:

What do you think is the full ROM press equivalent of doing 5 getups per arm for a frequency of ~5 days per week? I've tried doing swings and getups and honestly it just didn't hook me for some reason. Would still pretty much be PTTP?

Thanks all.

I'm doing a dedicated 8 week, 2 day a week pressing (and accessories) program.

I'm doing it in parallel with an 8 week, 2 day a week squat program.

Feel free to direct me to any threads that have already covered this....

My girlfriend used my barbell the other day while I was at work and texted to ask how much the bar itself weighs. I was like "45lbs" (obviously, right?). Well, I got the set as a gift and apparently never bothered to weigh the bar (I thought I did...).... try 30lbs :confused:

Hurr?

Do you have a women's 15 kg bar or something?

Add in a lower body movement you want extra work for and Tactical Barbell's Gladiator template would be a serious focus for 6 weeks. I wouldn't do it more than 6 weeks because of the volume and frequency.

PTTP (5 days) or Justa's Singles #1 (7 days) are great higher frequency programs. As written, PTTP averages @ 80% RM and Justa @ 75% reflecting the different frequency commitment

I'm plenty happy doing squats, upper body pulls, and deadlifts for 2-3 days a week, but I love the feel of overhead pressing. Looking to increase my barbell overhead press specifically within a higher frequency (3+ days per week) framework, if possible.

Would a PTTP style program work (ten heavy reps per day) or would something lighter in weight but maybe a bit higher in volume be better?
Agree with Grouchy on this one. Of the high frequency programs out there, this is going to give you the fastest progress. After that first period you can "back off" to Operator and make sustainable progress for quite some time. Also based on how you have previously described how you like to train, these will feel good to you.

I am starting to picture you like Tim Allen from Home Improvement when you make responses like this ROFL

Do you have a women's 15 kg bar or something?
The barbell set was a hand-me-down from my sister's husband. I didn't ask him (yet, haha) but I am pretty sure the bar is from one of those "all-in-one" type sets you can buy from the sporting goods store. I think I have seen some of them come with lighter than 45# bars.

I just re-checked it using our bathroom scale. I weighed about 172. Me + bar = ~203

Sad face. This means I am weaker than I thought ROFL

The barbell set was a hand-me-down from my sister's husband. I didn't ask him (yet, haha) but I am pretty sure the bar is from one of those "all-in-one" type sets you can buy from the sporting goods store. I think I have seen some of them come with lighter than 45# bars.

Ohhhh, I think it get it.

I'm guessing the sleeves are narrower than the standard 2" Olympic plate?

Ohhhh, I think it get it.

I'm guessing the sleeves are narrower than the standard 2" Olympic plate?
Nope they're 2." Back when I coached at the calisthenics gym, we had a few bars that were 30# and a few that were 45#, all with 2" sleeves. We might've even had some with the 2" sleeves that were lighter.

Nope they're 2." Back when I coached at the calisthenics gym, we had a few bars that were 30# and a few that were 45#, all with 2" sleeves. We might've even had some with the 2" sleeves that were lighter.

Wow, funky. I don't know if I've ever seen that.

Is it shorter than a typical barbell?

Hit daily max...daily then do some back up set - similar to the squatting everyday type of training.
Take care of your glutes and quads too. For me bench press and ohp makes my glutes more sore than dl or squat.

I’m a huge fan of the Victorious program, though it’s built for single KB military press I bet you could run it as a BB OP. The other one that I’m currently using is Neupert’s new Easy Muscle program. It’s a C&P program so it’s not purely pressing, but it’s specifically adaptable for BB, which is how I’m running it. Loving it so far.

Wow, funky. I don't know if I've ever seen that.

Is it shorter than a typical barbell?
It's right about 7 feet. Not sure what's up.

I would be happy if it turned out my bathroom scale was wrong :p

. . .but I weighed myself holding BB plates to check, so yeah. . .

My gym has 15kg bars that look like 20kg standard olympic bars. The bar itself is thinner but otherwise they’re the same length and take the same plates. I have to remember to check

I also have a 15kg bar that takes full sized olympic plates. The sleeves are a bit shorter than a 20kg bar, but since I'm not DL over 150kg yet they are long enough.

I am starting to picture you like Tim Allen from Home Improvement when you make responses like this ROFL

I just re-checked it using our bathroom scale. I weighed about 172. Me + bar = ~203

Sad face. This means I am weaker than I thought ROFL
I have nothing much to add. I’d say if you want to press 3x a week, go ahead and do it. I think you know what you’re doing.

I’m trying to commit to memory that any time you offer a response in the next few months someone has to reply “yes but what should the bar weigh?”- biggest take away from this thread, no doubt

I'm in the same boat with my pressing to be a focus in the midterm.
I will be starting Easy Muscle Schedule A on Monday after a few weeks of practice around a busy schedule; BB C&P.
After 8 weeks I'm planning to switch to Reload focusing on BB MP and DL.
Then to Victorious KB MP for 8 weeks.
And then reevaluate / repeat.

Hit daily max...daily then do some back up set - similar to the squatting everyday type of training.
Take care of your glutes and quads too. For me bench press and ohp makes my glutes more sore than dl or squat.
This is actually one approach I haven't tried yet. Does one do dailly singles until they actually max out, or just go to something that feels "heavy enough?" My guess would be the latter.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom