all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Give me barbell overhead press program ideas

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
This is actually one approach I haven't tried yet. Does one do dailly singles until they actually max out, or just go to something that feels "heavy enough?" My guess would be the latter.
Yeah the 2nd one.
Sometime you can do a very similar lift, like wide grip/close grip ohp, push press, incline, behind the neck...

Handstand push up and heavy dips is worth to mentioned too but it doesn't really feel like ohp
I still would rather focus on HSPU, however, some postural issues have made it hard to continue those progressions without issues. I think the overhead press is helping correct those things, and figure that if I can approach a bodyweight press someday (even ~70-80% bodyweight), then HSPU shouldn't pose an issue, at least concerning strength.

PTTP is a good recommendation. You could also try the original 40-day workout - you also train five times per week, but with varied reps/sets (6x1, 5x2, 3x3, 2x4, 2x5) and as a consequence of that varied weights. There's a writeup on Dan John's website with a combination for each day, you could also find one in Easy Strength book.

Handstand push up and heavy dips is worth to mentioned too but it doesn't really feel like ohp

The accessory lifts used in the pressing program I'm doing change every two weeks, but they include:

--Weighted push ups
--Weighted dips
--Triceps extensions
--Pike push ups
--Barbell floor press
--DB overhead press (seated and standing)
--Bottoms up KB press
--Face pulls and other upper back work
--A bunch of different core exercises

PTTP is a good recommendation. You could also try the original 40-day workout - you also train five times per week, but with varied reps/sets (6x1, 5x2, 3x3, 2x4, 2x5) and as a consequence of that varied weights. There's a writeup on Dan John's website with a combination for each day, you could also find one in Easy Strength book.
I've trained that way in the past and enjoyed it. I'm thinking I will end up somewhere between that and @Hung 's suggestion. I think some days will be lowww volume but heavy, some days will be a mash up, and some days will be light and more volume.

I've trained that way in the past and enjoyed it. I'm thinking I will end up somewhere between that and @Hung 's suggestion. I think some days will be lowww volume but heavy, some days will be a mash up, and some days will be light and more volume.
I followed this workout program using a random number generator to determine the set/rep combo of the day and the intensity (how close to failure for those reps). Don’t forget to add 1x10 to the options!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom