all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Gloves for Kettlebell Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Michael

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello all, in Enter the Kettlebell Pavel talks about using cloth fingerless gloves to protect the hands from calluses when training. The only ones I could find on amazon have rubber grips on the palms that I would think would make them hard to use. Does anyone have any suggestions for specific gloves? Thanks in advance

Hello all, in Enter the Kettlebell Pavel talks about using cloth fingerless gloves to protect the hands from calluses when training. The only ones I could find on amazon have rubber grips on the palms that I would think would make them hard to use. Does anyone have any suggestions for specific gloves? Thanks in advance
Yes, he does mention it, but I think that you will find the overwhelming majority of people here do not use gloves; relying rather on developing their technique, and proper skin care.

There are gymnastic/Crossfit leather hand protectors that work well with KB swings and snatches.

I have these here in large:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Bear-KompleX-Gymnastics-Protection-Blisters/dp/B016Z0BHW8/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=bear+complex+hand+grips&qid=1610554826&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-7

The ones I have are a slightly different thickness and the slightly thicker one had to be broken in before it stopped pinching my fingers. Other than that I am very happy with them. They protect the exact spot where I have the most calluses build-up and allow you to grip the KB handle with your fingers like you do without them.

But what skin problems I had were quickly resolved once I started using a hand creme. My hands were simply too try.

Work gloves like these can likely be found at Home Depot. Amazon product ASIN B00EARD4U2
My experience is using any form of glove on the snatch just make the grip strength worse. The glove increases the diameter of the handle on the bell which make the grip harder. I found it was just easier to deal with the callouses and learn better form. I do have the Bear Komplex protectors for when I mess up and tear a callouses.

I use Bear KompleX leather grips for both swings and snatches. They are hard leather and therefore work really well for me. Softer material can catch in a rotating handle and be counterproductive, during snatches in particular.

You can use them full time unless you plan to take SFG tests, as they do not allow grips or gloves.

I experimented for years with all kinds of hand protection. None of them were really satisfactory (satisfactory meaning better than without them). Over time, my technique developed to the point where I no longer felt the need. I don't even have to do much to take care of my hands and I can't even remember the last time I had to file down a callus.

Last edited:
I could not see the Red Bear's picture. These were recommended for the SFG cert. but weren't allowed during testing . As others have mentioned, best to only use in an emergency, such as long days of work during a cert.

I could not see the Red Bear's picture. These were recommended for the SFG cert. but weren't allowed during testing . As others have mentioned, best to only use in an emergency, such as long days of work during a cert.

My skin started to go on middle of second day of cert. I had a pair of cut sock sleeves and the finger- less cotton gloves in my bag, which I used for remainder of cert. They helped, no ripped skin during testing.

Tube socks worked for me before my hands toughened up. Cut off the toes, slide over the palm. Job done.

Tube socks worked for me before my hands toughened up. Cut off the toes, slide over the palm. Job done.
This worked for me as well. I've only had to use them for one week, after ripping up my hands by snatching with poor form. I used them as a means of continuing to train around the ripped calluses.

Hello,

It depends on the exercise you mostly perform. Ballistics tend to generate more calluses than grind.

Personally, I do not like wearing gloves as they modify my grip. I do not feel this "safe". Then, I prefer refining technique or getting proper skin care.

My skin care is very basic:
- sandpaper when I have too much calluses because it ends up doing a "plier"
- coconut oil / olive oil when I feel a "burn" (which occurs before a blister). In this case obviously, I stop the exercise and do something else to recover

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've used gloves in the past, when chalk isn't available or when I did high rep heavier snatching. I don't do that anymore, so I don't use gloves. You should learn the form. with bare hands and at the most chalk.

I'm not anti-glove. Use them if you like. Like planet fitness No judgement zone.

I use Hardy Mechanics Gloves. Fairly thin washable synthetic gloves that don't seem to impact the width of the KB grip much or feel slippery like cotton gloves do to me. Internet search will result a variety of sellers at a variety of prices. I think the black ones look cool which, of course, is perhaps the most important decision criteria since my KB weights aren't overly impressive.

I had to get something when I started the 10,000 swing. These worked very well - also work if it's especially cold, but just for swings or grinds. Not so thick it's impacting the grip too much and the rubber seemed to hold up well (no chalk - powder coat bells).

Almost everything I do in strength training, across multiple modalities, builds calluses -- kettlebells, barbells, pull up bars, gymnastic rings, clubs, maces, loaded carries.

Even chopping wood.

As long as they're not tearing, I don't think calluses are necessarily some kind of problem to be avoided.

Quite the opposite -- if healthy, they're a beneficial adaptation.

So today I pushed a bit too hard with my snatches and actually ripped a bit on my palm. Any recommendations on what I can do to make it heal as fast as possible?

Your biggest issue is going to be sensitivity. If you need it to be back in action right away then trim off the loose skin and apply neosporin and a bandage covering when you sleep. When you are away, leave it open and exposed. Hot water will hurt like (&^*(##$ but it starts to deaden the sensitivity. Neosporin and time are the only thing I know to truly heal the wound. This does give you motivation to keep those calluses trimmed!

So today I pushed a bit too hard with my snatches and actually ripped a bit on my palm. Any recommendations on what I can do to make it heal as fast as possible?
White Flower Analgesic Liquid found at TCM pharmacies. Although the label warns against that usage.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom