all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Gloves for Kettlebell Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I had a box of mesh back, rubber front garden gloves from Costco. I trimmed the wrist cuff down and clipped the fingers off so they just covered the first joint of each finger. They worked great and each pair held up for about 50 workouts. Then I tried chalk. Way too messy. Hated it. So I decided to let the kettlebells wear the glove instead of my hand and I put gaffer's tape on them. It's fantastic. No mess, more comfortable than gloves, and cheap. Each application last about 50 workouts and costs pennies. I know tape is a no-no for competitions but anyone not training for competition might want to give it a try. I like the 2" wide stuff. Amazon has it in multiple colors from $12 - $20 for a 60 yard roll. Each is enough to do fifty bells.

I recently did a Geoff Neupert program that involved a ton of heavy double cleans (and even on the days when you're not doing heavy double cleans, you do presses, which require cleans) and I tore a callus on the first day. So my issues were not only protecting the rest of my hands from future wear, but also dealing with the existing wound, which was struggling to heal with 6 days/week of cleans.

I eventually ended up doing the following:

1. Light cotton garden gloves with fingertips cut off
search Amazon for "6 Pair Bulk Pack Jersey Cotton Work & Gardening Gloves, Large (Wells Lamont 501LK-WNW), Brown"
2. In addition, wrist bands that I used for a totally different purpose than intended.
search Amazon for "Treadlife Fitness Kettlebell Arm Wrist Band"
I think these are meant for wrists for sweat control or maybe protecting your wrist from the kettlebell. But I slid them past my fingers and wore them in the palm of my hand for additional protection.

I think in retrospect I used too heavy a weight for the cleans and my form was poor, and that didn't help with the wear & tear on the hands.

I think in retrospect I used too heavy a weight for the cleans and my form was poor, and that didn't help with the wear & tear on the hands.
IMHO the above should be the second sentence of your post. And then maybe the rest isn’t necessary.

JMO.

-S-

Hello all, in Enter the Kettlebell Pavel talks about using cloth fingerless gloves to protect the hands from calluses when training. The only ones I could find on amazon have rubber grips on the palms that I would think would make them hard to use. Does anyone have any suggestions for specific gloves? Thanks in advance
I followed the advice, they're glove liners not actual gloves, I only use them for snatches as per ETK

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom