all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Glycolysis on Test Day

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Crotty

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello All,
If I completed 100 swings in 5 minutes on S&S test day, but did so by going into glycolysis, did I still "own" the bell"? Also, am I ready to move onto the next weight?

John Crotty

I would think going glycolytic is part of the reason for doing the swings. As far as " owning " them, I would have to see them to form an opinion.

The fact that you are "testing" means that it is not a regular training session when you would be avoiding the burn. This means that it is one of the days that take up 1% of your training which gives you the green light to go for it! As for "owning the bell", as long as you are meeting the standards of the movement then you owned the bell. In my opinion this doesn't necessarily mean you should move up. If you were fighting for your life at the end of the test then you have a bit more work to do.

Hello All,
If I completed 100 swings in 5 minutes on S&S test day, but did so by going into glycolysis, did I still "own" the bell"? Also, am I ready to move onto the next weight?

John Crotty
Yeah. It's expected to go into glycolysis for 5 min test. Are you testing at your regular session working weight, or are you testing with a bell size smaller than your regular working weight? Trying to understand the context of your S&S ( 1st ed or 2.0)

Yeah. It's expected to go into glycolysis for 5 min test. Are you testing at your regular session working weight, or are you testing with a bell size smaller than your regular working weight? Trying to understand the context of your S&S ( 1st ed or 2.0)
Thanks for your reply. I have been working with 28kg, but tested with 24kg.

Thanks for your reply. I have been working with 28kg, but tested with 24kg.

Well, If you go by the new edition, Pavel doesn’t have you start testing (with a bell down) until you are doing all of your normal working sets with the 32kg. So you are ahead of the curve. I’m assuming this isn’t a big deal since you have gone through certification and you should have good technique. If you are pretty comfortable with the 28kg in all of your working sets, then you are probably ready to start introducing sets with the 32kg.

As far as your test days, Pavel doesn’t advocate upping test weights until you are doing the larger bell for ALL of your working sets. So by 2.0 standards, you shouldn’t even be testing yet. But since you’re ahead of the curve, I’d say to stick with it. I’d recommend keeping with the 24kg on testing, at least until you are doing 32kg across the board. That should be easy enough for you, and still give you plenty of energy to progress on 32kg in a timely manner.

Good Luck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom