all posts post new thread

Barbell GM form question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JediMind

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello,

Is it a good idea to push the floor apart while doing GMs? I've found this to be harder on the hamstrings, although, it takes some tension away from the glutes-max. Also, this somehow gives a pelvic flossing feel to me and I also feel i'm working the glute-med harder this way. Most importantly, pushing the floor apart with the feet ensures an arched/straight back and I don't have to worry about whether my back rounded during the exercise.

There is a big difference in muscle recruitment and feel when I do GM with "floor apart" vs simply tightening my glutes and pushing the hips back

Please, let me know how you usually do your GMs and if you have any advise for me for the above, also, if there is any correlation of the form with the amount of weights used.

Thanks in advance

@JediMind, not all that many people train the Good Morning - you might want to post a video, and perhaps even more than one video to show what the different cues do for you as you lift.

-S-

I'm not sure I get you. I don't really "push the floor apart" with the GM. In fact I have at times pushed the load too much to the outside of my feet so I just aim for a solid, balanced feel at the feet.

If a certain cue makes it easier for you to keep a straight back, I would keep doing it, at least as long as it doesn't lead to any downsides elsewhere.

The feel on the hamstrings may just be due to the arch, a bigger stretch. A good thing. I'm not sure if it leads to the glutes having any less of a load.

Is it a good idea to push the floor apart while doing GMs?

Antti

Like Antti, "I'm not sure I get you. I don't really "push the floor apart" with the GM."

'What purpose does pushing the floor apart in a Good Morning serve?

I've found this to be harder on the hamstrings,

Might Be

Some form of Good Mornings are part of my program.

I'll give that a try and see how it feels.

With that in mind, let's look at...

Hamstring Good Mornings

In the Good Morning, more work is placed on the Hamstrings by keeping your knees fairly locked. They should be performed with a slight break in the knees.

"The Vertical" Good Morning overloads the bottom part of the movement.

"90 Degree Good Mornings"

Essentially, the 90 Degree/Parallel Back (Hip) Extension is a Good Morning.

The knees are primarily locked, which places more of the workload on the Hamstrings.

It overloads the top end, lockout part of the movement.

"45 Degree Good Mornings"

It amounts to being a "45 Degree" Good Morning

The knees are primarily locked, which places more of the workload on the Hamstrings.

This movement overloads the middle range of the movement.

This video by Dr Bret Contreras break it down...

Hip Extension Exercises

Glute Good Morning

Good Morning performed with break in the knee, place more of the workload on the Glutes.

Strap Good Mornings

Performing Good Mornings with Straps is one of my favorite exercises.

The video demonstrate the Cambered Bar Good Morning.

In this demonstration, he is performing them with a large break in the knees; meaning a greater workload is placed on the glutes.

Spud Straps

The demonstration is used with the Spud Straps. They are good but pricey.

Car Straps

What works equally well is Car Straps, for a lot less.

I have quite a few of these in different length that I use.

Partial Thoracic Back Good Mornings

This is a great exercise that not only works the hamstrings and glutes but the Upper Torso.

This is an assistance movement for heavy Deadifts and Squats.

This movement work well when performed with Straps (demonstrated above) with a partial movement; rather than a Full Good Morning, only about a Half Good Morning.

The Thoracic Back is rounding in lowering the weight.

As you ascend, you perform a Concentric Contraction with the Thoracic Back; the Thoracic Back is straightened once you stand up with the weight.

In an Arched Back Good Morning, the Thoracic Back is performing an Isometric Action; no movement

Thus, a different training effect is elicited with the Thoracic Back, dependent which one you perform.

Rounding the Thoracic Back isn't a issue, rounding the Lower Back is.

* Great Thoracic Extension Exercises

The video in this article demonstrates 8 different Thoracic Back Exercises. I have tried all of them.

I have found the Partial Thoracic Back Good Morning was the most effective at increasing strength.

As per Contreras in the article...

When it comes to squatting and deadlifting strength, the thoracic extensors play an even greater role in stabilizing the spine than the abs.

This shows that performing isolation movements for the spine can directly improve deadlifting performance. According to Hamlyn et al., the lumbar erectors fire harder during squats than deadlifts, but the thoracic erectors fire harder during deadlifts than squats.

Needless to say, both the lumbar and thoracic spine need to be incredibly strong to hold the pelvis in place and prevent the spine from buckling during heavy squat, deadlift, and good morning variations.

pushing the floor apart with the feet ensures an arched/straight back and I don't have to worry about whether my back rounded during the exercise.
Arched Back

I question if "pushing the floor apart with the feet" does much to ensure you maintain an arched back. ''

Last edited:
I will my stances when I do GMs (narrow stance, athletic, wide) and I think, generally speaking, that should get you what you are seeking. I try to maintain as much range of motion as I can with good form.

Here's an old video of me doing wide stance:

The splitting the apart with your feet que is one of the best ques for instantly increasing power in your squat, sumo deadlift and your GM. The reason you are feeling less tension in your glutes is because there is. You are getting other muscles involved.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom