all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Go or No Go?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stefan Veltri

Level 4 Valued Member
Just starting Q&D, so far I'm really liking it. But, I'm looking for a little more than 2-3 days/wk. Is it a bad idea to do Q&D Swing/PU one day and the Q&D snatch or clean (I added the clean) the next day? Thanks for any advice.

If you look at the back in the programming section, you'll see some recommendations about your questions.
IDNWTP (I did not write the program), but cleans are not recommended for Q&D

I see where the clean is mentioned and inappropriate because of a lack of ROM, is there something else I'm missing?

Sorry if I'm confused, but you asked if it's a good idea to do Q&D with the snatch or clean. It's exactly as you said, the lack of ROM limits it's use in this setting. I don't think you're missing anything.

@Stefan Veltri I would start with the program "by the book" for 6-12 weeks before any modifications in order to give it a fair evaluation. Your call of course, but it's going to be hard to attribute anything positive or negative to Q&D if you're only sort of doing the program.

I understand what you're saying. I'm not sure I was clear in my first question though. I am committed to Q&D Swings/PU 2-3 times a week for my primary training. The Snatch and Clean work would just be supplementary work, primarily to fill in "off" days when its too cold or windy to get outside and jog or ruck. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I highly value the opinions on this forum. Thanks!

I understand what you're saying. I'm not sure I was clear in my first question though. I am committed to Q&D Swings/PU 2-3 times a week for my primary training. The Snatch and Clean work would just be supplementary work, primarily to fill in "off" days when its too cold or windy to get outside and jog or ruck. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I highly value the opinions on this forum. Thanks!
Got it. I would do Q&D Swings+PU 3 days/week, and then 2 days/week of "Easy Strength" lifts/grinds. I wouldn't do more power training with KB ballistics since you don't want to compromise your power for Q&D.

So presses, getups, squats, rows, etc. could work well with 10-15 total reps per exercise, maybe 2-3 exercises per session, and lots of rest in between sets. Basically: don't wear yourself down, exit the workout feeling as fresh as when you started. Alternatively as you suggested, a light jog or ruck but with a moderately low HR (don't push it).

Got it. I would do Q&D Swings+PU 3 days/week, and then 2 days/week of "Easy Strength" lifts/grinds. I wouldn't do more power training with KB ballistics since you don't want to compromise your power for Q&D.

So presses, getups, squats, rows, etc. could work well with 10-15 total reps per exercise, maybe 2-3 exercises per session, and lots of rest in between sets. Basically: don't wear yourself down, exit the workout feeling as fresh as when you started. Alternatively as you suggested, a light jog or ruck but with a moderately low HR (don't push it).

Thank you Mike! That is exactly the info I was looking for!

+1 Mike Torres. I did 044 with the snatch, 3x/wk for 8 weeks, relatively light with 24. Around that I did heavier cleans, clean and presses, some heavier snatch work, TGUs, dbl kb squats, all for strength, low rep 3-5s, lots of rest. The power training from the 044 worked wonders when it came to running around the field (I coach field sports), I felt strangely conditioned to sprint and run, my body just wanted to run and I have not done any running in years. I took 4 weeks off of Q&D to focus attention on heavier snatch work so I could come back to 044 using the 32. Started last week and it feels great! I love the workout. And I am taking the minimalist protocol to heart, not doing much else this time around other than adding some yoga on off days. I really love this training protocol and I'm thinking about using a variation of it with my lacrosse team this spring, focusing on broad jumps and pushups.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom