all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Goal(s) for 2017

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Zazen - What is it good for? Good for nothing
@somanaut
Just some sentences from Kodo Sawaki - Zen ist die grösste Lüge aller Zeiten ( Zen is the biggest lie of al times)

Do you dissolve in Zazen or are you practicing for yourself? You give yourself the answer, if your Zazen is true or not.

People stop doing Zazen because it makes them bored. Right. Zazen does not awaken satisfaction in ordinary people.

Zazen means, just sitting in trust of the posture and structure of the body.

in practicing shikantaza (just sitting) there is nothing to add, because shikantaza requires our whole energy, shikantaza is our breath. We don't breathe to get satori. There is no purpose, there is only the Zazen which is practiced with body and soul. That means nothing else, than "just sitting".

Zazen is like a thief, entering an empty house.

Who trusts in Zazen, is one with Zazen. To be one means the spirit of faith.

Zazen means, to get transparent to oneself. Nowhere else, you get confronted with yourself so merciless. You will see all this about yourself, you wish you would not see. And the purer your Zazen is, the more transparent you are to yourself, the more you recognize your filthy aspects. Only, when you really want to recognize yourself practice Zazen.

Always you try to gain something. You did not pay for your birth - and now you want to get money back?

You did not make your body of your own. Your body is nothing else, than part of the whole universe. And this part you call "I!". But in reality, there is nothing special about it.

You can not dissociate from universe. The only thing, that is the cause of distance are your thoughts. If you are still for one instant, you will see, that there is nothing about it.

Whatever happens, while sitting in Zazen: when you are just sitting like a lotus flower, growing from mud, then everything is part of your Zazen.

If you believe it or not: Zazen is the Buddha. But beyond your frame of thought and wishes.

Zazen - What is it good for? Good for nothing
@somanaut
Just some sentences from Kodo Sawaki - Zen ist die grösste Lüge aller Zeiten ( Zen is the biggest lie of al times)

Do you dissolve in Zazen or are you practicing for yourself? You give yourself the answer, if your Zazen is true or not.

People stop doing Zazen because it makes them bored. Right. Zazen does not awaken satisfaction in ordinary people.

Zazen means, just sitting in trust of the posture and structure of the body.

in practicing shikantaza (just sitting) there is nothing to add, because shikantaza requires our whole energy, shikantaza is our breath. We don't breathe to get satori. There is no purpose, there is only the Zazen which is practiced with body and soul. That means nothing else, than "just sitting".

Zazen is like a thief, entering an empty house.

Who trusts in Zazen, is one with Zazen. To be one means the spirit of faith.

Zazen means, to get transparent to oneself. Nowhere else, you get confronted with yourself so merciless. You will see all this about yourself, you wish you would not see. And the purer your Zazen is, the more transparent you are to yourself, the more you recognize your filthy aspects. Only, when you really want to recognize yourself practice Zazen.

Always you try to gain something. You did not pay for your birth - and now you want to get money back?

You did not make your body of your own. Your body is nothing else, than part of the whole universe. And this part you call "I!". But in reality, there is nothing special about it.

You can not dissociate from universe. The only thing, that is the cause of distance are your thoughts. If you are still for one instant, you will see, that there is nothing about it.

Whatever happens, while sitting in Zazen: when you are just sitting like a lotus flower, growing from mud, then everything is part of your Zazen.

If you believe it or not: Zazen is the Buddha. But beyond your frame of thought and wishes.
There is a movie out called "Zen for nothing" about life at Antaiji (Sawakis monastery), I have been meaning to order it from amazon.de. Have you seen it?

There is a movie out called "Zen for nothing" about life at Antaiji (Sawakis monastery), I have been meaning to order it from amazon.de. Have you seen it?
No, but I will check this out. The abbot of Antaiji, Muho is a German, and he did/does lots of translation from/about Sawakis teachings.

No, but I will check this out. The abbot of Antaiji, Muho is a German, and he did/does lots of translation from/about Sawakis teachings.
I have corresponded with Muho a few times, and read some of his essays on the Antaiji website. Zen has fallen out of fashion in Denmark, and what remains is "just" Rinzai. Soto zen and Sawaki, never really took root as a sangha/temple in Denmark. But I think some of Sawaki and Uchiyamas students have a temple in Germany somewhere.

Goals - I too need to get back into practicing Zazen.

My Zafu collects dust and it blankets my awareness. I used to sit for 25 minutes every day, haven't sat regularly in 6-7 years.

Master my jump-rope workout again. Will be doing it once or twice a week in place of my KB training.

That is almost koan!

The case of North Coast Millers Cat
Does a cat napping on a zabuton have buddha nature?

Reflect deeply on this you must...

Some would say only if he is resting after taking the road to Ch'ang-an.

But then Taisen Deshimaru spoke of one renting out his services to rid homes of the fiercest of rats, and not only in Ch'ang-an...

I would ask the cat and trust his answer. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom