all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Goblet Squat singles

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member
I am still following a mobility strength program, but I am easing into S+S now and then.

When I do the prying GSQ they are pretty taxing and one rep takes about 45-70 seconds. I pry my hips open and do some contract relax breathing. Because my dorsiflexion is limited any I am rather tall (195cm) I find it pretty challenging to keep my back straight and to stay balanced.

Do you think it is ok to do 3x intense singles instead of the prescribed 3x5? At least as long as I struggle with the required mobility?

I think @Steve Freides has said something along those lines.

When I do the prying GSQ they are pretty taxing and one rep takes about 45-70 seconds. I pry my hips open and do some contract relax breathing. Because my dorsiflexion is limited any I am rather tall (195cm) I find it pretty challenging to keep my back straight and to stay balanced.

Do you think it is ok to do 3x intense singles instead of the prescribed 3x5? At least as long as I struggle with the required mobility?

The squats have benefits beyond mobility, so I'd recommend keeping the 3x5. But you don't need to pry and mobilize for all of them. I usually do just a regular goblet squat for 4 and then relax and pry, bicep curl, etc. on the 5th one of each set. And 30 sec or so should be fine... no need to make it a hard effort.

The squats have benefits beyond mobility, so I'd recommend keeping the 3x5. But you don't need to pry and mobilize for all of them. I usually do just a regular goblet squat for 4 and then relax and pry, bicep curl, etc. on the 5th one of each set. And 30 sec or so should be fine... no need to make it a hard effort.
I do the same thing in reverse. My first rep is the prying/curl rep and then I finish the rest of the set just going straight up and down.

I do the same thing in reverse. My first rep is the prying/curl rep and then I finish the rest of the set just going straight up and down.

I do almost the same, pry from the start and when I feel that I am 'pryed' enough I just do the squats. Usually 1-2 rep prying is enough for me.

However @Bauer, I think that since mobility isian issue in you case you should keep prying on all squats. As @Anna C said, you can keep the prying shorter. I would even say 15-20 seconds is enough. Rest between reps asamuch as you need and collect 15 squats, than aim for 3x5 rest-at-the-top, than regular 3x5.

Just be careful not to go too heavy too fast. I started using the 24/32kg bell because it provided a better counterweight to my body and I even did a few curls with them at the bottom. Because I rushed it, I developed De Quervain's tenosynovitis (which is an inflammation in the wrist area, near the thumb). Now I'm out for 2 weeks.

I can't confirm that this caused my injury but it occurred at the same time I was doing heavy GSQs. I was also doing a CoC grippers too, which probably didn't help.

So go light and watch your wrist while curling. Never be in a hurry to get injured.

If you’re taking 45-70 seconds per rep you are not doing this as it was designed to be done. You need something closer to your current abilities - less deep probably. 5x5 GS at that pace - it is a warmup exercise - is longer than many S and S work sessions.

Video would be great to help us help you.

Thanks.

-S-

What was your wrist position when you injured yourself?

There wasn't a specific moment when I felt I got injured. After a practice session, I just noticed pain in my wrist. I think many repetitions using a heavy weight caused the injury. Notice my wrists when the bell is close to my chest in the video below. They are tilted forward in the exact position that now causes pain in my left wrist. I should have kept my wrists straight throughout the movement.

Compare how I did it...

Versus the proper way...

There wasn't a specific moment when I felt I got injured. After a practice session, I just noticed pain in my wrist. I think many repetitions using a heavy weight caused the injury. Notice my wrists when the bell is close to my chest in the video below. They are tilted forward in the exact position that now causes pain in my left wrist. I should have kept my wrists straight throughout the movement.

Compare how I did it...

Versus the proper way...

also, you have a comp bell, which makes goblets much more taxing on the grip/wrists

Thanks @ All for the input and thanks @SuperGirevik for the helpful videos!

@Steve Freides @Anna C : For some reason I always thought that the GSQs were about increasing depth/hip mobility and about raising my heart rate - and not so much about squatting.

I will try your suggestions tomorrow and get back to you, maybe even with a video.

I split my goblet training in two parts:

Goblet training for warm-up and mobility: I use 16 kilos or 20 kilos, and take my time, and do the biceps curl and stretching of the inner tighs.

Goblet squat as strength move: I use 24 to 36 kilo. I sometimes do the biceps curl here to, but othertimes I take the bell by the body. Then it is less stable, and the exercise ressembles more a front squat. Then I just do normal repetitions.

@Steve Freides @Anna C : For some reason I always thought that the GSQs were about increasing depth/hip mobility and about raising my heart rate - and not so much about squatting.

I'm sure we all take different things from them, but I think they bring a host of benefits:
  • Hip, knee, and ankle mobility
  • Along with halos, warm up the forearms and grip for swings
  • Warm up the leg and hip muscles - blood flow, neurological drive for force production, etc.
  • Gin up the body's energy systems - aerobic and glycolytic (lactate) to prepare for swings
    • As you said, get the heart rate up -- but HR is indicative of a lot more processes going on
  • Build strength in the squat with a moderate 3x5 daily volume at an increasing weight
    • I do at least the 3rd set with swing weight - many people use it for all the goblet squats.

Today I tried the version @Anna C proposed: 4 regular GSq and then some prying on the fifth rep.

This way it felt more natural to me - and I could better gauge the intensity. 3x5 went fine. The reps were not as deep as before but probably more adequate for my current abilities. In the end it's not about the mobility of the set at hand but about being mobile afterwards or in the next set. Putting money in the bank, as they say.

Thank you Anna and Steve!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom