all posts post new thread

Old Forum Goblet Squat?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

prowler83

Level 3 Valued Member
Since Ive kept hearing about this drill on this site I though Id have a look at it on Youtube vids?.Whats the difference between the Goblet Squat and the one Kettlebell Front Squat? They seem pretty much the same drill.

Anyway did few sets on my variety day yesterday. Fantastic drill.

A good question, Aaron.  A few points about the differences:

In the goblet squat, the kettlebell is a convenient, and light, counterbalance to allow you to squat deeply with perfect form.  (We could discuss what constitutes perfect form but that wasn't your question.)

In the front squat, the purpose of the kettlebell is primarily as weight to make the squat more difficult.  One of the errors we see in front squat form is people trying to separate the kettlebell from their body - this is incorrect in the kettlebell front squat.

In addition, the goblet squat keeps the weight in the center while the one-kettlebell front squat allows us to look for side-to-side differences.

I'm sure others will offer additional points but those are, IMHO, the main ones. The goblet squat is a teaching tool while the front squat is a movement or exercise that can be loaded with  more weight, but let's not lose sight of the fact that, in the larger world of squatting, even the two-kettlebell front squat does not accept anywhere near the weight of a barbell front or back squat - the kettlebell front squat is still focused on perfect, deep squatting form and is not a competitive squat.

-S-
Steve Freides, StrongFirst Team Leader
http://www.kbnj.com
http://RideChickens.blogspot.com
http://StrongFirst.com

Cheers that clears things up abit Cheers Steve. But the one Kettlebell front Squat and one kettlebell goblet Squat you say the bell is held in slightly different positions. I must have missed that. Is the goblet squat really just a changed name from the one KB front squat just with the added hold at the bottom and the hip opening with the elbow drill. Thats how it seems.

Then Ive seen Videos where a Person is using one Kettlebell. Some Videos call this a front squat, some call it a Goblet squat. Generally on both these videos Ive seen people holding the Kettlebell in pretty much the same position. Also in both getting a deep squat. The only really difference I noticed with people showing the Goblet with one bell they hold it for a few seconds and usually use the elbows to open the hips at the bottom.

On second observation I see what you meean steve. At the bottom the resistance is lowered slightly to allow the elbows to open the hips with the Goblet Squat.  Thats the main difference I see. But never the less very similiar exercises.

Aaron, the fact that the weight is light in the goblet squat means that, if you allow yourself, the weight will move to the right spot to help you get rock-bottom.  The same weight, held in the rack position for a front squat, will challenge you to keep it close to your body and still maintain and upright torso as you descend.  Similar, yes, but the above-mentioned difference is significant.

You just might need to go heavier to discover the challenges of the front squat.

-S-
Steve Freides, StrongFirst Team Leader
http://www.kbnj.com
http://RideChickens.blogspot.com
http://StrongFirst.com

Racked position You mean cleaned and racked? If so were thinking about a different squat here?

It would seem some people who are doin a Goblet Squat on youtube might be naming the exercise as a front Squat.

Im just playing around with exercises on my variety day, if anything more flexibility tool than a strength tool.

Youve got.

1)Goblet Squat. Some people seem to call this a front Squat. Thats what was confusing me and likely others.

2) The one  kettlebell racked  front squat. ( clean and racked).

3) The two kettlebell racked front squat. ( Clean and racked).

Aaron, with the kettlebell held by the horns in front of you, it's a goblet squat.  Here is a fine example of what not to do with your goblet squat, but I post it because I find it entertaining to watch myself struggle.  Please do not try this at home. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrbfUAmCrHk

A _front_ squat, OTOH, means the kettlebell is racked, and that goes for both the single and double bell versions of the lift.

Hope that helps.

I can teach 100 people how to Goblet Squat faster than reading this exchange.

The key "key" to the GS is pushing the knees out with the elbows...whether for a moment or a minute, that is the most important thing.

The videos must be mislabeled. It is obvious to the eye the difference between a GS and a Single Side KB Front Squat.

I think in the old days the goblet squat may have been known as the front squat. Ive even read some where this is the Goblet squat it used to be the front Squat.

The guy even says in the video and describes it as the front squat.

Lol Steve I wont be doin that lol.

No. No it wasn't.

I would like to see where you read that. The "old days" of the Goblet Squat were around 2003-2006. There is a chance someone on YouTube is not qualified to teach.

Look at the videos above mate. And that guy above is qualified to teach it.

The link below calls the video Goblet squat and says it used to be called a front squat in explanation below the video. I believe this person is qualified with Pavels people also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvVPrpusmrk

If you took a moment to ask Lauren, Steve or Phil about who I am and my relationship with the GS and the KB community, you might find something interesting.

The GS is NOT a KB Front Squat. The name "Goblet" comes from the inventor, his middle name is "Arthur," who has spent his life in theology and history. To explain the move, he was going to call it "Grail Squats," but thought that was too much of a reach. It looks like the way the girl in Excalibur holds the chalice, a goblet...the grail.

I'm qualified to teach it, too.

I'm not laughing at Aaron's expense, but Dan's response is priceless. This is like someone playing poker for the first time with the man who invented the game.

To Daniel,

I know who you are. But there is some inconsistency on some Youtube videos out there.The videos above posted proves that. There are some vidoes showing people Doing a Goblet and calling it a Front Squat.

Which creates confusion to somebody like me whos new and still learning.

"Mate"!??

Seriously Aaron, if you do know, it makes it worse.... if you're not going to respect the master instructors on here...?

Confusion on youtube? You gotta laugh....

Last weekend, Family Guy included the term "Immaculate Conception" and related this to the Birth of Jesus. They used the term wrong. I mentioned it on Facebook and my brother and many of my friends made fun of me.

My point is simple: the Goblet Squat is a Goblet Squat. There is a chance that Youtube videos are using the term wrong. I can only point out, and I think Steven did a great job here of explaining it to you, that one should seek proper instruction. I always hope the people I coach against use youtube a lot.

Aaron, you can tell the Pope that YouTube has videos by qualified people that say he isn't Catholic but that doesn't make it so.

I'm a generous and optimistic person by nature, I'd like to think, so I'll be kind and suggest that 90% of what you see about exercise on YouTube is wrong in one or more important ways.  (The actual figure probably more like 98%).

Dan and I have both told you what a goblet squat is  and what a front squat is.  If you don't like our answers, you'll have to start your own language.  The rest of us are already in agreement with one another, and you are giving Dan,  a kind, generous, knowledgable person with a stellar track record as an athlete, an author, a teacher and, in the opinion of those of us who know him, a man, much too hard a time here.  You should be thanking him for setting you straight.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom