all posts post new thread

Old Forum Goblet Squat?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Aaron, I would suggest you research some on the leaders in the kettlebell RKC/SFG worlds. Being new, that is the first thing I would do (and did when I was new).

Also, just want to point out in the "front squat" youtube video you linked to (below):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAD2ybBktMQ

in the comments, Phil who is in the video actually says "this is technically a goblet squat".

In the end, be wary of what you find on youtube as anyone can post something there. Hence all of the kitten videos in the world you can think of!

Sincerly thank s to both Daniel and steve for taking the time to straighten me out here with . If I come across  a tad disrespectful apologizes but this really isnt the case. I never doubted what you guys was both saying was true about what a goblet squat was.

It's funny when you mention Dan as one of the leaders in the kettlebell community. I always thought of him as a life teacher whos teachings intersected with training.

Aaron, in addition to the incredible ease of teaching the squat pattern (thanks, Dan!), the GSQ enables you to very effectively stretch your hips and pelvic floor with the prying technique. That translates into much better performance in great many things.

As long as we are doing some dan john appreciation here i will say that I additionally appreciate him because he is a skilled writer and story teller

If you don't have a kettlebell, you can use a discarded turkeyinnards, and do the giblet squat. :) I'm sure there is a you tube video demo somewhere.

I can't think of a single author or coach that puts as much free material out there as Dan John does. In my mind telling him he is wrong about the goblet squat is like telling Pavel he is wrong about the kettlebell swing.

Only in the age of the internet do youngins feel they are equal to their elders, my grandfathers are rolling over in their graves now, I know it.

Here's a little thing Gray and I did at the CK-FMS in June

FMS Unplugged

http://www.functionalmovement.com/articles/Screening/2013-01-03_fms_unplugged_ep_3_-_cook_-_ing_the_squat

It's not youtube so....

Joe

Not entirely true:) Until I found Pavel and the KB I used the goblet squat with clients as most weren't ready for a barbell. I  just didn't have a name for it. Same with DB deads.

Brett,  that video with Gray was awesome, especially when you demonstrate the difference in width with regard to the femur lining up correctly with or on top of the tibia. I think that is so critical and your video is  a very good illustration for my future teaching, thanks!

Well, if anyone has a better story about how the name "Goblet Squat" was given to the Goblet Squat, I am all ears. My favorite memory of the GS was when I was certified in San Jose. No one seemed able to get a phenomenal athlete to get into a deep position. We watched as she was pulled, prodded, stretched and voodooed into position and none worked. I asked Pavel if I could try something: she pushed her knee out with her elbow. As she got deep, a nameless RKC instructor said (you will never guess!): "These aren't the droids will are looking for."

At the next cert, it was the way we taught the squat. I have use the GS with the Complete Works of Shakespeare, Med Balls, Dumbbells, Stones and other stuff. The key has ALWAYS been pushing the knees out with the elbows. But, what do I know...

I didn't have a name for it , I just had my clients hold the db palms up and had them squat down. I did not, however , have them push the elbows out with their knees.Crucial point in making this the easiest to learn squat of them all. Thanks Dan :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom