all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Goblet Squats Easier with Heavier KB

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JGP718

Level 4 Valued Member
I am new to the forum but have been practicing S&S for about a year. I have been struggling with my goblet squat with a 16kg. I experimented the other day with heavier bells. A 20 and a 24. I noticed with the 20 I was able to sit in better and keep my spine straight. It became even simpler with the 24. My mid back was smoked after about 1 or 2 reps. My question is if it cleans up my form should I just do a few reps with the heavier bell? I have had multiple FMS done and the squat has always been difficult. I am working on my ankles and progressions but this is the fastest I've ever set into a deep squat without a heel lift!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

The kettlebell is indeed a counterbalance, so it's no surprise it's easier when you go heavier - it just means you're making good use of the weight. If low reps work, so be it, do low reps and be sure to take sufficient rest. You can also accomplish much the same thing by holding on to the upright of a power rack or other sturdy object.

-S-

Thanks for the help! Do you find that working on the goblet will help with unweighted squats such as the FMS screen or is there no carryover due to the loss of counterbalance?

You would want to get completely comfortable with your preferred weight, then work in improving your form by making sure the weight is close to your chest, or by using a lighter weight.

A good goal is to be able to maintain your form using bodyweight only for your goblet squat.

The FMS squat is different because not only is it bodyweight only but your arms are above your head and it challenges thoracic spine and shoulder mobility as well. So you may see improvement in your FMS squat but a good goblet squat, bw-only, won't necessarily translate into 3s in the FMS overhead squat.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom