all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Going from 32 to 48?? S and S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
i have been on S and S and Achieved the simple goal, I am committing to S and S into next year and I will need to buy another few bells, I would rather avoid buying a 40 then 44 and then 48?
I have swung a 48 before but haven't tried any TGU with it. Has anyone moved directly onto a 48kg from the 32??
Thanks

Hi Conor78 - for me going from 1H swings with the 32 into the 40 was difficult enough, i tried doing some 1H swings with the 48 and i just wasn't ready yet, so the movement was more like me trying to hang onto the bell while it was slowly moving back and forth between my knees, nothing at all like a proper swing and definitely leading me on the path to injury. so i went from the 32 to the 40 and i am practicing with both now. i imagine it will take me 6 to 8 months to really man-handle the 40 the way i can the 32. then i will move to the 48, i won't bother with the 44 as the percentage change from the 40 is not enough. it seems the standard sizes when i started this kb journey were 24, 32, 40, 48, so that's what I've always had in mind, granted it's a feeble mind at best, but it's still the path I'm walking.

Thanks guys for the advice, I really want to commit to S and S into next year and to honest I wish I had really committed to it earlier, it really is a tremendous program. I will go with the 40kg and see where that takes me..
Thanks
Conor

The other thing that Pavel mentioned that's been helping me all around is improving your grip strength. I've been doing S&S almost exclusively with a 24kg as I prepare to move up to 32kg, and the only reason I didn't do it a month earlier is because I'm still not happy with my recovery periods (they're better as of this week tho). But I've been training grip strength M-F while at the office using Iron Mind's CoC 1 for 1 rep, and the trainer for 5-7 reps both sides. My goal for grip is the CoC 2, and on strong days I'll try to close it and keep it from opening back up. The 2 is by no means closed, but the negative will build strength, along with the reps throughout the day.

I've seen others post on here that once they started doing GTG with grippers, they were able to lift heavier, faster. Worth investigating.

Conor - as usual Steve is bang on the money with his advice. I had visions of jumping from 32kg to 48kg. Steve advised the same - go for the 40kg then up to the 48kg. I'm glad I took his advice 8o)

@schurgerdc Thanks for your post. I'm moving up to 24kg from 16kg and I'm lacking confidence in my grip, currently doing just 5 swings with the 24 to ensure I don't lose grip strength and let the bell go. I've just ordered the CoC trainer and I'll be doing GTG with it at work.

@schurgerdc that's interesting, I'll have a look at that, Paul you are right Steve's advice is in the money. I will pick up a 40kg so hopefully I'll be up and running by Xmas eve. The price difference between the 40 and 48 wasn't that much but it was my ego leading me towards a 48kg. I'm really looking forward to working with the 40kg and aiming to hit the Sinister Goal before the end of the 2016.
Cheers

My experience was that as I progressed through the bells, there was a huge difference to handling the 40 from the 32 as compared to progressing through the other bells. Everyone is different, but I agree with Steve and the others.

@schurgerdc that's interesting, I'll have a look at that, Paul you are right Steve's advice is in the money. I will pick up a 40kg so hopefully I'll be up and running by Xmas eve. The price difference between the 40 and 48 wasn't that much but it was my ego leading me towards a 48kg. I'm really looking forward to working with the 40kg and aiming to hit the Sinister Goal before the end of the 2016.
Cheers
Ego and the 48 have little business being in the same room together, and I mean that with all the humility that KBs have taught me.

I'd say that you're right, ego and and TGU could be a lethal combination. Starting the 40kg tomorrow. I know that the WTH effect can be be experienced with S and S and today I had one. I haven't been deadlifting regularly but I was deadlifting today and was pulling 200 kg @100 kg bodyweight. Felt strong and looking forward to future WTH effect with the 40kg.

Dang good progress @krg . I've got 19 mo under my belt, not all of it just doing S&S but all with KB's and some deadlifts added in. The 32 is definitely a go to bell now, swinging the 40 (but not well) and close to a get up on my strong side with the 40. But I believe that's it's like all lifting, when you start getting up close to your genetic potential the gains will come hard. And with the big jumps in KB weight, just adding a rep should be considered an achievement. For me, I had pretty much reached the simple goal and further advancement in S&S wasn't my goal. Therefore,, straight S&S needed to be reduced and "supplemental" work added on off S&S days. Lifts like waiter carries to improve the shoulder tension, farmer carries, and clean & presses. That's just my experience, and of course others very well may find that just S&S works for them. But eventually everyone will hit a plateau and needs to work on weaknesses to improve. That's just my opinion, that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.

Last edited:
Dang good progress @krg . I've got 19 mo under my belt, not all of it just doing S&S but all with KB's and some deadlifts added in. The 32 is definitely a go to bell now, swinging the 40 (but not well) and close to a get up on my strong side with the 40. But I believe that's it's like all lifting, when you start getting up close to your genetic potential the gains will come hard. And with the big jumps in KB weight, just adding a rep should be considered an achievement. For me, I had pretty much reached the simple goal and further advancement in S&S wasn't my goal. Therefore,, straight S&S needed to be reduced and "supplemental" work added on off S&S days. Lifts like waiter carries to improve the shoulder tension, farmer carries, and clean & presses. That's just my experience, and of course others very well may find that just S&S works for them. But eventually everyone will hit a plateau and needs to work on weaknesses to improve. That's just my opinion, that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.
i havent been able to find a cup of coffee for a dollar in over ten years:confused:

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom