all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Going heavier on the one-handed swing (form check)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ntapsak

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello StrongFirst!

I've been working on S&S pretty judiciously for about six months now, with some good progress. I'm looking to get a form check for my one-handed swings (particularly with my 55lb kettlebell) - I don't struggle at all with two-handed (I'm filming myself constantly), even up to a 70lb swing with good form.

I filmed my 3rd (55lb), 6th (55), and 9th (40lb) from this morning.
Today's practice - 1HS 40lb 2x10, 55lb 4x10, 40lb 4x10
It was pretty taxing on the grip until I got chalk, but one-handed swings are still pretty demanding. If I had to guess, I'm just not strong enough to do a lot of them, and I'm not squaring my shoulder properly. I could probably also do with a narrower stance. But take a look, and let me know what you think.

I always assumed that was the reasoning for letting the hand move - I see most people doing that. A couple weeks ago while I was re-assessing my form, I noticed I was flailing my off-hand way too much (almost throwing me off balance), so I stopped. What's the happy medium?

I always assumed that was the reasoning for letting the hand move - I see most people doing that. A couple weeks ago while I was re-assessing my form, I noticed I was flailing my off-hand way too much (almost throwing me off balance), so I stopped. What's the happy medium?
Swing your off loaded arm back as you would for a max vertical jump attempt, keep your hips square. Off arm drives up with the loaded arm and finishes in the fighting position, just like your are doing. Narrow your stance a bit. You would not attempt a max jump from that width of stance, I would imagine.

I agree with what's been said so far. I suspect you might do well with a little bit more knee bend, but it's hard to tell from this angle. You want your leg muscles working working as they would with a jump. Overall, nice work! Good and powerful, nice setup, effective breathing, correct mechanics, good tension and shoulder packing.

I agree with what's been said so far. I suspect you might do well with a little bit more knee bend, but it's hard to tell from this angle. You want your leg muscles working working as they would with a jump. Overall, nice work! Good and powerful, nice setup, effective breathing, correct mechanics, good tension and shoulder packing.
Thank you! The knee bend is there, I make sure it is.

To what extent do I want to narrow my stance as I would for a vertical jump? When I'm using a bigger bell, I feel like I need to spread my feet more.

Thank you! The knee bend is there, I make sure it is.

To what extent do I want to narrow my stance as I would for a vertical jump? When I'm using a bigger bell, I feel like I need to spread my feet more.
Stand in front of a plyo box or similar, the implement is a height that would take some effort to jump on top. Notice where you would set your feet. Plenty of room to get the bell through. Think of the swing as a push, not a pull. Power comes from pushing your feet into the ground. Push the earth away from yourself. Harder to generate rep after rep of force with a too wide base.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom