all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Golf swing speed ideas...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CMHoward

Level 6 Valued Member
Not sure where to post this, so here goes.
I'm already doing S&S with a 40kg and GTG pull ups, dips and pistols, so my core base is pretty good.
My current Swing Speed is around 110 mph. I've started an overspeed routine, but figure there has to be some things I can do for wrist snap, etc.
Anyone have any tried and tested methods...btw, 120 mpg is my goal.

Not exactly what you asked for BUT one of Dan John's approaches for the discus might be an interesting experiment. You find your 80% effort then instead of trying to improve your top end every time you spend a bunch of time on getting your 80% to feel easier. Then at the end of the session you reach for a couple of top end efforts.

I recall that some throwers smoked previous bests with this method. For others it did nothing. I think a single session would probably tell you if it's a method that would help you.

How are your skills on snatches, push presses and CJ's, singles and doubles? Same question with BB power clean and PP.
Ever done any box jumps or other types of plyometrics ? Power push ups ?
Hint. Your golf club does not weigh 88 lbs. and I'm guessing during your swings the bell isn't traveling faster than 110+ mph.

Great Q. The TPI crowd emphasizes vertical force production, vertical chop power, rotational power, wrist/hinge power as four primary sources of power production to the swing. Swinging a 40kg bell (1 handed?) I imagine your vertical force (and controlling centripetal force) are good. As @Don Fairbanks alluded, your implement is much lighter. It may make more sense to start doing a more Q&D inspired approach there, with extreme emphasis on max power using a lighter bell.

Med balls are great for rotational power, as well chop power. Various rotational tosses you could incorporate. I don't work with a whole ton of golf athletes, but I don't really have/do any specific wrist exercises. Personally I feel that's a more sport specific thing you should work with a coach for, as getting too handsy/wristy can really affect your ball striking.

EDIT: in addition, another strategy instead of using your Super Speed sticks would be ~1-2 days a week, go to the range with the driver/woods, get a SMALL bucket (less reps so you won't hold back), clear your mind of caring where the ball goes, and focus on smashing it as hard as you can. Lift that front foot, get that DJ backswing and fire away. If possible, get a launch monitor. If speed goes down, take some rest and try again

Have you tried just swinging a weighted club?

Using the same idea Pavel used in his S&S 2.0 where using a heavier weight will make your working weight that much lighter.

Maybe just once or twice a day, kind of GTG style, swing a weighted club 20-25 times.

Have you tried just swinging a weighted club?
While this makes sense in the context of KB swings and other weighted exercises, I don't think that swinging a heavier club would carry over to a faster swing with a regular golf club.

I wish I could remember the whys and wherefores specifically but it's the same reason that boxers are discouraged from practising their strikes with weights in their hands. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of S&C could step in and help out.

While this makes sense in the context of KB swings and other weighted exercises, I don't think that swinging a heavier club would carry over to a faster swing with a regular golf club.

I wish I could remember the whys and wherefores specifically but it's the same reason that boxers are discouraged from practising their strikes with weights in their hands. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of S&C could step in and help out.
Goal is to increase velocity, heavier club will be slower. Putting a weighted donut on a bat will not help you hit a fastball with your regular bat.

Shoulder turn is a major factor in distance and accuracy. On the upswing your back should be facing toward the fairway which in my mind requires shoulder flexibility plus core strength. If your lead foot is firmly planted (which I understand is crucial) then the lower body and hips are in a constant state of initiating the downswing, like twisting a rubber band. I am not a great golfer but I know when my swing is as dialed in as it is capable of, one being the club I am using goes the distance it is supposed to travel and the other being the swing feels easy. If I dare try to muscle a swing my body tightens up and I wind up on my back foot (ugly). In my case any excessive visceral fat inhibits any ability to get turned. Regarding the shoulders and hips things like arm bars and windmills seem to be logical choices. Personally I am not a big fan of twisting movements with the KB beyond windmills, TGU's, and one-arm swings. The medicine ball seems better suited to generating twisting force IMO.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the weighted club does seem to slow down the action per studies done with baseball, hockey and golf. With both golf and baseball...under weighted and over speed training seems to yield greater swing speed.
Years ago I golfed with a Div. 1 hockey player that absolutely smashed the ball. He had a relatively short backswing, but just before contact he unleashed his wrists. He said it was just like a slap shot...you have to snap the wrists hard.
The wrist action is what I'm trying to improve. Per my ss monitor if i really focus on that last second snap I see a significant increase in ss.
So...focusing on wrist action in the golf swing..any ideas?

Great Q. The TPI crowd emphasizes vertical force production, vertical chop power, rotational power, wrist/hinge power as four primary sources of power production to the swing. Swinging a 40kg bell (1 handed?) I imagine your vertical force (and controlling centripetal force) are good. As @Don Fairbanks alluded, your implement is much lighter. It may make more sense to start doing a more Q&D inspired approach there, with extreme emphasis on max power using a lighter bell.

Med balls are great for rotational power, as well chop power. Various rotational tosses you could incorporate. I don't work with a whole ton of golf athletes, but I don't really have/do any specific wrist exercises. Personally I feel that's a more sport specific thing you should work with a coach for, as getting too handsy/wristy can really affect your ball striking.

EDIT: in addition, another strategy instead of using your Super Speed sticks would be ~1-2 days a week, go to the range with the driver/woods, get a SMALL bucket (less reps so you won't hold back), clear your mind of caring where the ball goes, and focus on smashing it as hard as you can. Lift that front foot, get that DJ backswing and fire away. If possible, get a launch monitor. If speed goes down, take some rest and try again
You know, i recall a video from several years ago where Hank Haney advocated taking several swings with the driver at about waist level at absolute top speed just prior to actually driving the ball.
Since I just received a golf net, your idea may be a method to give a go...just practice swinging for the fence and let the ball get in the way.

So...focusing on wrist action in the golf swing..any ideas?
Aside from devoting some time to wrist mobility and keeping the joints healthy, it might actually be more beneficial to not 'focus' on wrist action in the swing but rather allow it to happen on its own.

Wrists are prone to 'locking up' when there's an excess of tension and this can really mess with your speed. If you're overthinking/overemphaising your wrist action, you could end up tightening up in an effort to create that 'snap' and robbing your swing of all of its potential snappiness.

If you've not already tried it, it might be beneficial for you to take a few swings at 100% effort (based on your own perception of the effort, ignoring any other metrics) and then 50%, 70% and 90%. Check the speed afterwards and see where you're actually at with each of the 'percentages'. Usually there's a 'sweet spot' of perceived exertion at around 90% that yields the best results for speed, where you're able to generate sufficient power but not 'pushing too hard' and generating excessive muscle tension.

just practice swinging for the fence and let the ball get in the way.
Nicely put!

Lots of good info here, i’ll add my two cents. I have gravitated to low rep stuff, i almost never do grinds anymore. I work with q&d based stuff, the kettlebells strongfirst from pavel program, and some hector g stuff that doesn’t leave me sore.

in addition i swing the superspeed sticks, but i only use the green and blue sticks, mostly blue. I dont want to use the red or anything heavy for speed training except to help warmup.

my swing speed radar measured speeds are up to 140 mph on blue stick and 150 green, but typically 135ish blue low 140s green. My trackman driver speeds are mid 120s.

i have always had a knack for speed, but i am only getting older with various injuries and i am maintaining or slightly increasing speed with this program.

the stretches in kettlebells strongfirst seem to help shoulder mobility. I have always preferred jerks to pressing, and swings to snatches. Although I can’t swear they are better for golf. When i do snatches, its always q&d based stuff, and always at a lighter weight than one would expect

You know, i recall a video from several years ago where Hank Haney advocated taking several swings with the driver at about waist level at absolute top speed just prior to actually driving the ball.
Since I just received a golf net, your idea may be a method to give a go...just practice swinging for the fence and let the ball get in the way.

Gotta practice going fast, to actually go fast! Good luck, let us know how it goes

Thanks for all the tips. After spending too much time researching programs, Ive decided to go with a Q&D snatch protcol with push ups at the end. Adding goblet squats with a twist 3x10 each direction. Also adding 1/2 Swingblades (Tacfit, Scott Sonnen movement). Doing it 3xs per week.
On off days doing overspeed training with a diy 285 gram, regular driver (Taylor Made R15 at 330 grams) and a 400 gram diy driver, 5 swings each direction with each...knees, standing and stepping into the swing.
GTG weighted pullups as usual. I have a PRGR Swing speed monitor to keep track.
This should be a fun journey...gonna give it 4 months and see if I can pick up 8-10 mph.
Thanks again for the tips.

@CMHoward I stumbled upoin this video today:

Might be worth a watch to get more specific ideas about strength for golf. Good luck with your 4 month plan. Let us know how you get on!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom