all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Golfers elbow with SandS

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Frank Matthews

Level 4 Valued Member
Anybody else get this? I can understand tennis elbow but on the inside of my elbow?? Its beginning to put me off....

How straight is your elbow during both the 1A Swing and Get-up? I was actually surprised how much effort needs to be put into this, especially on the latter exercise.

Also, don't neglect the banded finger extensions!

How straight is your elbow during both the 1A Swing and Get-up? I was actually surprised how much effort needs to be put into this, especially on the latter exercise.

Also, don't neglect the banded finger extensions!

I concur. When I started introducing 32K 1H swings, I noticed a creeping tenderness in the biceps afterwards. Realizing I was pulling the bell with my biceps during both upswings and downswings and putting a deliberate effort into loosening my arms while still keeping my shoulders packed did eliminate this problem.

As for the getups, I found that keeping my arms straight, which I also had to work on, actually improved the safety margin. I was a lot more confident of not having my arm collapsing when it's in lock-out position. The worst that could happen, which it did a few times with the 24K, is to have the bell and locked out arm to pivot at the shoulder and drop the bell away from my body. This long lever pivot also slows down the drop which gives me a chance to maneuver my other limbs out of harm's way.

I'm dealing with golfer's elbow currently. I'm also just getting over tennis elbow. I've chronicled most of that in this thread.

I think I did it by overgripping. Once I'm back in good shape and resume S&S, I'll be paying a lot of attention to my grip. I think it was a combination of being afraid to drop the 24kg bell, and focusing so much on explosive power and tightening my abs and glutes into the standing plank. I'm sure the tension was just carrying over to my grip.

Also, I ignored all the signs until they got so bad I couldn't ignore them. That's pretty much my trademark move :cool:

Will rubber band extensor exercises help golfers elbow or just tennis elbow? It can't help both surely!

In my personal experience and opinion, I feel pretty confident that they did help the tennis elbow, but not confident that they helped my golfer's elbow.

Currently for the golfer's elbow I'm doing some work with a Theraband flex bar, supination/pronation with a hammer, and some stretching and a few other range of motion/stretch type movements that my my physical therapist recommended.

The wrist rotations (supination / pronation) should help with both.
I use these as a staple preventative measure for my elbows

Based on what I've read and experienced so far, I think once I get back into good shape that finger extensions and wrist rotations should be sufficient to help maintain good elbow health. That, plus correcting any technical issues I'm having with my swings and TGUs.

+ 1 for the Theraband FlexBar. Also, as you build up more volume of training with kettlebells you will realize how nearly every single exercise involves a high level of wrist flexion and grip. You need to balance this out with other modalities of training. For me it has been bodyweight movements such as multi direction crawling (animal flow) and handstands against a wall for time which all promote a healthy shoulder position and wrist extension.

Last edited:
@Frank Matthews
S&S (or any general strength training) should be fairly safe and comfortable (relatively speaking).
Do you happen to have any video of your S&S practice? Perhaps we can assist by taking a look at your technique.

Little aches and pains have been part of every single physical endeavour I have embarked upon. However, some have been real injuries as opposed to just aches and pains.

Never be afraid to go down a size of bell for S&S. I've just done this for about a month and it has helped me get over some serious back discomfort.

I had/have golfers elbow for over 24-months which may have been down to poor technique during S&S, or potentially the desk at a new job as it only affects my right elbow, which is also my mouse clicking hand. Even after a months rest last December the issue did not subside. Either way, I bought an ergonomic mouse and a flex bar (not branded Theraband Flexbar but is the same thing). Whilst the issue has not totally dissipated, I have gone from unable to do a pullup due to the pain, to 16 in the recent TSC event. It is only my opinion, but I think the flex bar has been the main factor in the improvement and is cheap enough to warrant a test.

I don't often wear a hat, but I was wearing glasses, not my contacts, and it was raining, and I was raking leaves so I needed to see what I was doing, hence a hat with a brim.

-S-
Well SF, I like the new one. With respect, the last one looked like it was shot through one of my plastic jeep windows.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom