all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Golfer's Elbow with TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ap0c

Level 5 Valued Member
I feel as I go heavier and heavier with the TGU (only at 24kg right now), my left elbow seems to complain more and more. My right elbow is mostly fine. I try to focus on keeping my shoulder packed/lats engaged (until they need to disengage ever so slightly to raise the bell overhead), and I suspect generally my form is pretty good. I did dislocate my left elbow in a climbing accident a few years ago, and wonder if it will just be chronically grumpy forever.

I thought for a while it was because I was curling the weight into position, then floor pressing it to start, and reversing to lower. I eliminated the curl and the problem went away for some time but then came back. It hurts the worst when I am doing the eccentric floor press at the end. I guess I could experiment with just not floor pressing at all.

Any other thoughts?

I feel as I go heavier and heavier with the TGU (only at 24kg right now), my left elbow seems to complain more and more. My right elbow is mostly fine. I try to focus on keeping my shoulder packed/lats engaged (until they need to disengage ever so slightly to raise the bell overhead), and I suspect generally my form is pretty good. I did dislocate my left elbow in a climbing accident a few years ago, and wonder if it will just be chronically grumpy forever.

I thought for a while it was because I was curling the weight into position, then floor pressing it to start, and reversing to lower. I eliminated the curl and the problem went away for some time but then came back. It hurts the worst when I am doing the eccentric floor press at the end. I guess I could experiment with just not floor pressing at all.

Any other thoughts?
Put a video out here, on your log if you have one, or you can PM it to me. If I were to guess, there’s likely some form adjustments that could alleviate the issue. From personal experience with chronic golfer’s and tennis elbow (no issues anymore), and in the absence of a video I suggest the following:

Remember to do extensor exercises to balance out the musculature of the forearm. Ironmind has a cheap set of extensor bands. Start with the lightest resistance. You can sit around and do them while you’re watching TV, between sets etc…

Remember that the unloaded arm is to assist with both the eccentric and concentric portions of the floor press. Personally, I like to press up from my center.

Make sure that your wrist is completely neutral (think like you are throwing a punch) and the handle of the kettlebell is more or less parallel to your callous line of your hand.

Keep your grip engaged, and only death grip the handle if you need a “nitrous” boost of strength in a moment.

Watch that your elbow remains locked at all times, except during the floor press portion.

During the eccentric phase of the floor press, lower the kettlebell with both hands to your center of mass.

Look up pin and stretch techniques and self massage for golfer’s elbow. Lots of good resources out there.

Consider also using Theraband Flexbar. Another cheap investment that will help remodel connective tissues but will act as a Prehab of sorts.

Think about your nutrition and if you are eating a diet that may encourage systemic inflammation.

Think about your sleep and if it can improve.

Think about your breathing and breath work.

Evaluate any other areas of activity or training that could be aggravating the issues.

Are you doing any other exercises with these? I ran into this problem big time but it came from chin ups, and was only worsened by TGU’s. Once I fixed the problem with chin ups, I’ve been good since.

I have injured mine doing snatches. Did way too many and probably not with great form. Still learning them. You've already got better advice than I can give on TGU's. Rocktape, which I am very skeptical of, seems to actually help quite a bit and allows me to continue working out, though I am giving Snatches a miss till I feel 100%. Similarly, a brace that straps around that part of the forearm can also help for the interim.

@Ryan T thank you for the very thorough response! I'll get a video soon (maybe a few reps from different angles).

@BJJ Shawn it was definitely aggravated when I added pullups into my routine, and went down significantly once I took them out. Somehow still persists though.

@Ryan T thank you for the very thorough response! I'll get a video soon (maybe a few reps from different angles).

@BJJ Shawn it was definitely aggravated when I added pullups into my routine, and went down significantly once I took them out. Somehow still persists though.
I hurt mine with pull ups as well and it took a long time to come back. I’ve never used, but heard great things about the flex bar for grip training and tendinitis treatment . I want to get one soon.

I hurt mine with pull ups as well and it took a long time to come back. I’ve never used, but heard great things about the flex bar for grip training and tendinitis treatment . I want to get one soon.

While I could see SOME improvement with the flex bar, the thing that absolutely fixed it for me was the Mark Ripperoe Pin Firing method. How it works, I have no idea, but I have used it twice to fix the problem after months of trying other methods, and both times it worked within a few weeks where everything else failed. This last time it hasn’t come back, but if it dies I will implement this again without question: Elbow Tendonitis: How It Occurs and What to Do About It | Jordan Burnett

@BJJ Shawn. I’ve read that before as well, and i like it. Im too big and not strong enough to get high volume chin ups tbh. What has been really helping me as of late though is pressing heavy. I’m on a cycle of consistently pressing a 75# bell and my elbows haven’t felt better since it all started with back to back rop cycles in March. That’s anecdotal at best though.

I had this happen when I moved from the 24kg to 32kg. Working with a Strongfirst coach, we realized my wrist wasn’t vertical. I was bending it back a slight bit,esp when going from my back to elbow. Getting really intentional on keeping my wrist 100% vertical and straight solved the problem.
Get a theraband flexbar. The “strongest” one. It should work miracles on your elbow even though it seems like it would never do anything.

I suffered long term elbow issues but am not sur if it was due to swings, TGUs or pullups, or maybe my desk height for my right mouse hand. Or a combination.

I rested for around a year from pullups with no improvement. Tried a flexbar and that significantly reduced the pain in a few days. I then did the pin-firing protocol and removed the pain within a couple of weeks. It does come back but a lot is more a discomfort now so I am sure I have some mobility/technique issue but I can manage it with the flex bar. It may be worth a try to see if it works. I got a no-name flexbar equivalent from Amazon for a few pounds (in the UK).

Use both hands to lower the bell to the vertical forearm position then roll to the side to set it on the ground—video of you get-up would be good to see to be sure.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom