all posts post new thread

Good Days

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
1/8

Bed 22:00 sleep circa 00:00 awake 06:30. Sleep quality: disturbed.

30 min walk

Halo 2*5 (16)
KB deadlifts 2 5 (16+20)
Squat curl 2*5 (16)
GSQ 2*5 (16)
SF hip bridge 2*5
SLDL 2*5

S/h swings 2*10 (16)
S/h swings 1*10 (20)
2h swing 2*10 (20)

Get-up + pause-press 1*1 (12)
Get-up [regular] 2*1 (12)

Fast 18:00 - 14:00

Not much time today, but glad to still get a work out in.

Dropped down in weight to try get-up press hoping to help me check my technique. My pressing felt very uncomfortable, especially on the windmill prior to leg-sweep. I sought guidance on the thread.

Revisit S&S for the breathing and possibly should incorporate the stretches - inc the rubber-band finger flexion...

Dropped down in weight to try get-up press hoping to help me check my technique. My pressing felt very uncomfortable, especially on the windmill prior to leg-sweep. I sought guidance on the thread.

You checked the movement at the Plank/Windmill portion and executed a press? I'm not sure that's a good idea as far as improving pressing strength, your support base is just too compromised, even after sweeping the leg back and executing from the vertical support arm.

Prone, or at any point where the spine is straight up and down would be good points, or do additional pressing separately depending on what your short term goals are.

Agreed! It felt horrible - glad I'd had enough sense to drop down to a 12.
I mis-applied something I read on the forum. No damage done so just part of my learning curve I guess.
Pressing isn't among my current goals, so I'll stick with the basics.
Thanks for checking in on my training log - appreciated.

Agreed! It felt horrible - glad I'd had enough sense to drop down to a 12.
I mis-applied something I read on the forum. No damage done so just part of my learning curve I guess.
Pressing isn't among my current goals, so I'll stick with the basics.
Thanks for checking in on my training log - appreciated.

Ironically I am probably the last person to tell anyone not to experiment, as a full third to a half of what I do is self-developed. But I like to think its variations on a theme.

That said, you can learn a lot from tinkering around and as long as you have a light weight to try it out, go for it!

2/8

Bed 00:00 sleep circa 01:30 awake 6:00

30 min walk.

Fasting 20:00 to 12:00

Halo 2 *5 (16)
Squat curl 2x5
GSQ 2*5
KB deadlift 2*5 (16 & 20)
SF hip-bridge 2*5
SLDL 2*5
Wall-touch hip-hinge 2*5 (unloaded)

Dead-swing 3*10 (20)
S/h swings 2x10 (16)
Get-up 3x1 (16)

Damn I want to improve sleep.

Bringing the wall-touch hinge patterning exercise finally helped me to feel the sensation of hamstring loading I've been aiming for... And I was able to recreate this sensation with the 20kg dead swings! :)
I wasn't able to capture the sensation with the s/h swings, but now I've felt it I'm that much closer. Really had to drive the hips back (and maybe my back went more parallel with the ground too - not sure).

Did 2 of the get-up sets with pauses at each stage (measured pause with my breathing) pausing going both up and down.

Very happy with the session. Gives plenty to build on.

3/8

Bed 23:30 awake 6:00
2nd sleep 06:15 - 08:30 (daughter not at home and day off work!) fantastic.

No fasting

Busy with family jobs, no training.
I was carrying unwieldy boxes, and realised I've never trained for strength before, so never known strength techniques - no real appreciation for what strength was, or the benefits of cultivating strength.
Slowly beginning getting an appreciation of how strong some of the people on the forum are...

4/8

Bed 23:30 awake 06:00 sleep disturbed.

Life interrupted training plans, despite wanting to could not put anything else off.

Read some forum posts, I like the term "student of strength".

Fast 22:00 - 13:00

5/8
Bed 03:30 - awake 06:00
(then sleeping off hangover 09:00-11:00 thanks to the kindness of my Mrs!)

Stag do (bachelor party) last night... so today was a "recovery day"!!

6/8
Bed 23:45 sleep circa 01:00
Awake 6:00

3x 30 min walk
1x 40 min walk
1x 60 min walk
(3:10 total)

Halo 2x5 (16)
Squat curl 2x5 (16)
GSQ 2x5 (16)
Touch and go deadlifts 2x5 (16+20)
SLDL 2x5 (unloaded)
SF hip-bridge 2x5
Wall touch hip hinge 2x5

Swing breathing ladder (one recovery breath per swing) 1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1
2x S/h swing (16)
1x 2/h swing (20)
(60 swings total)

Get-up 1x1 (20)
Get-up 2x1 (16)

Fast 22:00 - 18:00

Lovely sweaty session today.

What's correct way for recording ladders in a training log?

With KB swing breathing ladders I guess it's permissible to breath normally during swings? Or should I be holding my breath while swinging so I can only breath for recovery?

I was carrying unwieldy boxes, and realised I've never trained for strength before, so never known strength techniques - no real appreciation for what strength was, or the benefits of cultivating strength.
Slowly beginning getting an appreciation of how strong some of the people on the forum are...

This is where core bracing comes in. Even though there is a bit of specificity involved, that core bracing is a vital part of applying what strength you have to unfamiliar activities.

I myself am convinced that specific core bracing is a major component of specificity - as with limb strength only a percentage of general core strength will be recruited when doing something unfamiliar, that's why it takes such a large dose of general strength to have any meaningful effect when doing something you aren't used to.

And you are spot on, there are some really strong folks on this forum, inspirational!

With KB swing breathing ladders I guess it's permissible to breath normally during swings? Or should I be holding my breath while swinging so I can only breath for recovery?

Always breathe at least once per rep. On movements like Goblet squat don't be afraid to insert an additional breath.

13/8
01:30 - 6:00 disturbed sleep
2*20 min walk
30 min walk
40 min walk
(1:50)

10 min 10 kg kb goblet carry
Shoulder car

fasting

Wanted to do more but a good buddy came to gym and we caught up with chat and time drained quickly.

14/8

1.5 hour walk

Fasting til 12:00

3x 1 min elastic band finger extensions.

Am surprised about how run-down I still feel following recent illness. Need to recover.

15/8
Sleep 01:30 - 05:45 (disturbed)
No fasting

30 min walk x2
2.5 hour walk
(3.5 hours total)

Halo 3*5 (12)
3x Cook carry 8 mins (12)
3x Goblet carry 2 mins (12)

Finger cars x3
Squat curl + prying 30 sec 3x5 (16)
SF hip-bridge 3x5

Swing breathing ladder (1 recovery breath per swing) *1 1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1 (16)
30 swings total.

SLDL (unloaded) 4

Forgot my gym kit. I didn't repeat swing ladder as I couldn't get too sweaty as was on lunch break.
Did an unloaded hip-hinge (wall touch style) per recovery breath, aiming to pattern my body to drive hips further back.

Last edited:
17/8

On holiday :)
Avatar is a photo of my KB and my anchor, but it didn't come out too well.

3k run.
Wall touch hip hinge 2*5
KB deadlift 2*5 (16)
Halo 5 (16)
GSQ 2*5 (16)
Squat curl / prying (16)

Did a training session with my sister. Run was her idea KB session was my idea... Don't think she's going to be a kettlebell convert, would have been nice if we'd had a 12kg for her.
Nice to spend some time together anyway. I surprised myself by enjoying the run!

19/8

Halo 3x5 (16)
GSQ 3x5 (16)
Squat curl 3x5 (16)
Cook carry sequence 3x5 mins (16)

No ballistics cos childern running around all over the place. Same for get ups cos I'd have risked being turned into a climbing frame.
Also love the Cook carry, because the next day it makes my shoulders feel massive.

Been using my new improving strength to carry various nephews and younger cousins.

Last edited:
20/8

30 min walk
6 mile run.

Halo 3x5 (16)
Squat curl 3x5 (16)
GSQ 3x5 (16)

Swing ladder 2x 1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1 (16)
60 swings total

Get-up 1x3

Run with a friend who's also here on holibobs, but then he chickened out of a KB session. Shame cos I think it would be a good fit for him. Everything has returned to normal - because I didn't enjoy this run.;)

So... KB session passed very smoothly. Technique felt steady and competent. Beginning to feel ownership of my 'phase 1'. Did my 3 get ups without changing hands in between, ie back-to-back.

This makes me worried I'll soon need to add more work into my sessions. :D

23/8

I struggle with pins and needles during the overhead component of the Cook carry. I wiggle fingers but doesn't noticeably help. Guess I will adapt?
Carry is 5 mins duration, but my 5x press weight is probably 12kg so it's less duration, but slightly heavier than Cook proposes for the drill.

Halo 3x5 (16)
GSQ 3x5 (16)
Squat curl 3x5 (16)
Cook carry sequence 3x 5 mins (16)
Swing ladder 2x 1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1
(60 swings total)

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom