all posts post new thread

Good Days

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Strength Aerobics, these can be a real barn burner if you want. I did them every 15 seconds until I couldn't, dropped to 20 seconds, then 30 seconds.....less than 20 minutes later I was done. I believe every 20 seconds is about right, with 30 seconds being almost too long, until you need the recovery time.

27/3

20kg - 18 mins - strength aerobics

28/3

~11mins - 20kg - goshawk varient
A beginner version of the DJ Eagle
20 meter suitcase carry - 4 front squats swap hands and repeat for 8 sets of squats.

Advanced version is farmer carry (24kg) 20m into double front squats *8 without setting bells down.
I would park bell and shake tension before cleaning and squatting. Then park bell for hand swap.

Very nice session.
Good to get loaded carries in and nice to feel that the 2x SA sessions have improved my clean too.

29/3

Get-up practice session.
20kg - 15 mins
Segmented get-ups (by segmented I mean progress one stage at a time, floor press then floor press to elbow, then floor press to hand etc.) finished off with some 16kg regular get-ups
Then 5 mins for a few swings, GSQs, loaded carries.

5th consecutive day training :)

30/3

S&S based session 20kg - 15 mins
Cut short by family duties, but hadn't been feeling particularly capable anyhow.

31/3

20kg - 15 mins
Another varient of DJ goshawk - this time with rack walk and diminishing squats
(Rack walk 20m 8 GSQ - swap sides - rack walk 20m 7 GSQ swap sides....)
didn't set bell down between sides, but I did take a 1 min break halfway.

Finished with a set of swings, kb row, push-ups.

1/4

10 mins ETKB PM man-maker swings ie swing to a comfortable stop then jog to recover repeat.
Used a mix of 1 and 2 bell, and single and double handed swings. Not getting the pacing quite right as gassed out about 9 mins. Start felt great though.

Finished with recharge 5-10 mins of kb row, push-ups, clean and press, front squat get-up, and GSQ-curls.

2/4

Great session with James Beeson SFG.
Learned more about tension, correct shoulder position, muscle activation.
Good corrective warm-up and finishing exercises.

8th training day in a row, enjoying my current approach.

3/4
Warm up
Shoulder mobility and stretch

Practice - 10 mins - 20kg - carry and squat
30 sec suitcase, 30 sec prying GSQ ,swap hands x10 mins

Refresh
7 mins, get-up (to high hip), rows, push-up (on knees high tension) c&p (doubles with 10kg&12kg) 1*10 swings (10kg&12kg)

Didn't set bell down during carry practice.
Moved in a square pattern for suitcaseccarry - ie sidestep - forwards - sidestep - backwards.

Found the Dave Draper / Dan John / Dan Martin forum.
Feel like the DMPM is a much better fit for me (at this time) than S&S.

So I'm going to train for a while using this "inspired by" template:

Part 1 - SKILL PRACTICE
Loaded walk & squat
OR swings and jogs
OR get-up drills (to high hips)
OR C&P & squat
OR push-up & row

Part 2 - FUNDAMENTALS
Finish with a "refresh" for time - should include 1 rep (or more) of any move listed above that I didn't do in practice.

Repeat daily

:)

4/4
Practice - 10 mins - 20kg
Clean & press & squat
(strength aerobics protocol)

Refresh - 9 mins - 20kg
Carries - rows - push-ups - swings - get-up to high hips.

Great session :)

5/4
Practice - swings - 7 mins

Refresh - 9 mins
Clean - squat - press - row - push-ups - get-up (to high-bridge) farmers walk (16+20 - forward, backward & sideways)

Swings were a bit of a circuit - 10&12 double swings 16kg s/hand 20kg 2/hand

Last edited:
I feel you, I am alternating between S&T & Strength Aerobics because I feel that they are a better fit for me at this time than S&S as well. The good thing is, we can always go back to S&S......

Feel like the DMPM is a much better fit for me (at this time) than S&S.:)

9/4
Skills practice - 15 mins - 20kg
Clean press squat
Strength aerobics protocol

Skills refresh - 5 mins
Farmers carry (2x 20kg plates)
Row 20kg 5*1/1 (forward backwards sideways)
Push-up 5*1 high tension
Get-up 16kg full movement Inc high hips
Swings 2*5 16&20 double swings

Last 3 days were away from home visiting friends

Strength aerobics
It takes me circa 15 seconds to clean, press, squat and park the bell.
So doing one every 20 seconds gives me about 5 seconds rest 3:1 work to rest. Doing one every 30 seconds is about 1:1 work to rest.
How does this compare with you Michael?

I know you didn't ask me, but I think I was taking closer to 10 seconds for clean, press, and front squat in SA. I did it a little heavier (32kg, just over 80%) and the shortest I took my intervals was 40 seconds for about 1:3 work:rest. It was a fun protocol.

It takes me about 5-10 seconds to clean, press, squat, and park the kettlebell, so I am at about a 1:3 - 1:2 work:rest ratio. If you pause at each step, as in clean - pause, press and rack - pause, squat - pause, then park the kettlebell, it would be more of a 1:1 ratio or so. At least, that is where I would be if I paused like this is laid out.

Strength aerobics
It takes me circa 15 seconds to clean, press, squat and park the bell.
So doing one every 20 seconds gives me about 5 seconds rest 3:1 work to rest. Doing one every 30 seconds is about 1:1 work to rest.
How does this compare with you Michael?

12/4

Last 2 days spent time on soft tissue work, trying to reduce inflammation and hyper-irritable muscles.

Today

Warm up = Unloaded GSQ, Unloaded TGU, push-ups (2-3-5), Unloaded hip-hinge

Skills practice - carry & squat - 20kg - 10mins

Skills refresh - row & push-up

Did a mash-up of the Cook carry and the Eagle (Cooked Eagle?) =
OH L/R then Rack L/R then suitcase L/R + 5 FSQ every arm change.

Did the carry in a square square (forward, sideways, backward, sideways) 1 square OH 2squares rack 3 squares suitcase)

Row was 20kg 1/1 2/2 (rest) 1/1 2/2 3/3
Push-up (high tension from knees) 1-2-3-4.

Take-aways
I like this carry-squat sequence because it sneakily includes 2 OHP 3 loaded carries 6 cleans and 30 FSQ :)

Also I really enjoyed the rows as can feel it helping groove a strong hinge position.

And really nice to include push-ups in the warm-up as I've never spent time on them - and as I'm planning to get strong I don't want to omit the very basics. I'll certainly keep them for a week or two.

Last edited:

For the first time I'm feeling quite excited by a strength goal. I read Dan John's strength Standards and level 3 standards really resonates with me and makes me excited to pursue it.

I'm going to programme a few weeks of unladen movement and PU ladders so that I can really own Strength Standard 1.
Then setting sights on no. 3
:D

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom