all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed good morning - flexible steel

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jeannot

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,
I have difficulties to feel a strecht with my hamstring with the good morning.
In the flexible steel book, the advice is to push back the kettlebell without flexing too much.
I respect the advice but don't feel a "big strecht". I don't really understand because it seems to me you need to flex more to strecht the hamstring but it is not a good thing for me (bad feeling for my back) but i don't understand the advice of the flexible steel! Any advice?
Thanks.

@jeannot

What does it mean: don't bend (flex) at your lower back, push you hips back while keeping your legs straight or slightly bent. Result = hip flexion and hamstring stretch (instead of false flexibility and lower back stretch).

Think of separating 3 points of the triangle (top of the head, tailbone, feet): separating your tailbone from the top of your head (making the spine longer) and separating the feet from your tailbone (lifting the tailbone up, pushing the feet into the ground down).

Check out the picture HERE

as the good Sisters used to tell us in grade school..."the waist is not a joint."

as the good Sisters used to tell us in grade school..."the waist is not a joint."

Matt, there are some very valuable exercises where you do bend your spine, and even under the load - but that's topic for another time, let's not hijack this thread.

@Pavel- yes, I've had my share of people in gyms warn me not to do certain things I would do...and I would thank them politely... and carry on.

I thought about that nun's saying reading your post above- they meant not to bend at the waist when you're doing something that should be done with the hips.

@jeannot

What does it mean: don't bend (flex) at your lower back, push you hips back while keeping your legs straight or slightly bent. Result = hip flexion and hamstring stretch (instead of false flexibility and lower back stretch).

Think of separating 3 points of the triangle (top of the head, tailbone, feet): separating your tailbone from the top of your head (making the spine longer) and separating the feet from your tailbone (lifting the tailbone up, pushing the feet into the ground down).

Check out the picture HERE

In Relax into Stretch it says to only stretch where you feel it under the glutes. Is it normal to have to bend your knees a lot to not feel it in the back of your knees? Since he says that stretches the ligaments and to not do that. I have to get really low to avoid that sensation

@Zeohawk I recommend

- experiment with the amount of knee bend
- experiment with various hamstring stretches, as presented in RIS (both legs, one leg at a time, standing, sitting... )

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom