all posts post new thread

Old Forum Good Mornings don't stretch my hamstrings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Miller531

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello everyone,

when I practise the Relax into Stretch "Good Morning" to stretch my hamstrings, all that happens is, that I fold my middle back. I try to keep the chest and head up, but instead of pivotting at the hip I can only pivot in the spine, whilst the hamstrings actually don't lengthen any more that in the pre-tension. It feels like it's physically impossible for me to do the Good Morning as described in the book because the lower back and hip are like blocked/glued together.

What am I doing wrong? Could it be that my hip bone/femur sockets are just anatomically not build for it?

Video?

I feel it in my hammies, but not as much as I do in the first stretch of RIS. You may not be sitting back far enough.

more info

http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/hamstrung-frustration-with-good-morning-stretch/

Thanks for offering your help, Steve.

I'm thinking about recording a video in the next few days. However all you're going to see, is me doing the good morning like it's shown in the tape/book, only that at a certain point (basically at the pre-tension/starting depth) I'm unable to go any deeper through hip rotation, but instead by letting my middle and upper back sink down, whilst the lower back stays rock hard and immobile (same with the hip bone).

Other than with this stretch, I think that I understand the principle of hip hinging (sitting back/folding at the hip), but because my hammies are so tight, I have a some (not too much) movement in the knees (shins are not completely vertical, but slightly to the front) with deadlifts/swings etc.

To the OP:

There is more than one way to stretch your hamstrings.

There are cues to help you maintain correct form in the movement you're currently trying, and failing, to use to stretch your hamstrings.

If you could teach yourself how to do everything, there wouldn't be need in the world for teachers like me.  You shouldn't consider the process over just because you read instructions or watched a video and were unable to accomplish the task at hand.

-S-

I know it's a long time since I opened this topic but the problem is still there. A little Update:

I experimented with all kinds of hamstring stretches that I know of: I figured that all of those do not stretch my hamstring but either pull on my spine (posterior pelvic tilt) which gives me nagging pain in the lower lumbar spine or stretch my hamstring tendons at the back of the knee. And Pavel does not recommend any stretching of the tendons in RIS afaik. I'm rather despaired on this topic know. I believe that my hamstring tendons are just genetically to short to get a nice deep hip hinge without going either Sumo or rounding my spine. Anyone ever heard of something like this (tendons naturally being too short)? Also I seem to have always lived with a posterior pelvic tilt (butt tucked under) - ever since I can remember: When I sit on the floor my lower back is completely rounded and I'm not sitting on my "butt cheeks" but rather on the upper end of the gluteus or the lower edge of my lower back...
Deep Squats and Sumo Stance on the other hand are no problem but I never get a deep hinge without "butt wink" or flat back :(
Interestingly whenever I deadlift and swing and try to pull myself in the arched natural spine position I get back pain afterwards, when I just ignore my lower back and pull with a good core brace and straight back I'm fine...

Any thoughts?

Miller531, get some help with this. IMHO, and if you'll forgive a bit of tough love here, you have no business complaining further until you do.

This

Interestingly whenever I deadlift and swing and try to pull myself in the arched natural spine position I get back pain afterwards, when I just ignore my lower back and pull with a good core brace and straight back I’m fine…"

is a little scary. It sounds like not only do you not know how to help yourself, what you think you should be doing is actually hurting.

-S-

Hello Steve,

I'm not complaining, just wondering how to fix this. Could you maybe elaborate what it is that I should know to help me and what I instead should think I'd be doing? I have tracked down a FMS somewhat near my location so I will make an appointment when I got the time.
I also just wonder if there are people that are just not build to conventional deadlift and should stay away from it because of their mobility/anatomy and instead do something different (like sumo DL exclusively).

Miller531, you need a teacher, not more forum advice.

If you want more forum advice, start posting videos.

You are are not lacking knowledge, you are lacking instruction. You need to stop wondering how to fix this and listen to someone's opinion other than your own.

Please find a person you trust to teach you then do what you're told.

Everyone can deadlift just like everyone can learn to play the piano. Different people will do better with different deadlift styles, have different form issues, etc., but everyone can learn to do it in good form unless they are injured. I can deadlift sumo, narrow sumo, and conventional - I don't go heavy in all three but that's the extent of it.

When I started lifting, I couldn't touch my ankles, let alone my feet, let alone the floor, and I now do suspended side splits. You need a teacher.

I'm done with this thread - best of luck to you.

-S-

Steve is right, instruction is essential.

Also check out Esther Gokales book and video:

http://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Free-Back-Solutions-Shoulder/dp/0979303605/ref=la_B002NXS2VQ_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437443109&sr=1-1

Her program is about fixing your hip hinge in your everyday life, look into it to see if it is for you.

Original strength also helps to establish movements by using simple resets everyday. Check it out to see if it's right for you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C8TSTVS?ie=UTF8&redirectFromSS=1&pc_redir=T1&noEncodingTag=1&fp=1

Of course, like Steve said, seeing a instrutor is still very essential in this situation.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom